Author Topic: TR 30th July - Beda Fell and Place Fell  (Read 1635 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member
TR 30th July - Beda Fell and Place Fell
« on: 17:36:47, 01/08/17 »
After getting lucky with the weather on our last few outings we were due a dodgy weather day although today was not all bad. We ( Sue, Lynne and Mark ) had a few periods of sunshine mixed in with the showers.
After passing though a very busy Pooley Bridge we just managed to squeeze into the last parking space by the new church at Martindale from where we could see Beda fell our first target for today
After booting up in a squally shower we had sunshine on our walk down to the old church.
And there is the very pretty St, Martin's church
Looking along Howe Grain to The Nab and Rampsgill Head.
.Place Fell on the right above Boredale from the seat below Winter Crag.
Fine weather over Ullswater to the north. Hallin Fell centre with Little Mell Fell in the distance to the left
Not so fine looking over The Nab and Rest Dodd.
St.Sunday Crag is clear for now but Fairfield is well covered.
Now it's looking brighter over The Nab. It was one of those days.
Our way ahead lies along the ridge then across the head of Boredale and up to Place Fell.
Definitely a day of Sunshine and shadow. St.Sunday Crag, Birkhouse Moor and High Spying How on Striding Edge get the sun whilst the Helvellyn fells and Catstyecam are in shadow.
On the balcony path heading to Boredale Hause. Although there is no need to descend right down to the col as there is an obvious path cutting the corner to Place fell.
The view along Boredale to what looks like rain on Hallin Fell.
It's a steep pull on the manufactured path to Place Fell but the views behind are pretty good.
Higher up now and most of Brotherswater can be seen as well as Red Screes ( above the tarn ) then Caudale Moor and Thornthwaite Crag.
Just as we reached the top it was our turn for twenty minutes of proper rain so the camera stayed dry untill the drop down to Low Moss. High Dodd beyond was not on our route today, we turned left and came down the path which is a lot easier on the knees.
Sue and Lynne passing the ruins by the path.
No mistaking the pointy top of The Knight.
Lovely Ullswater.
Beda Fell on the left, Place Fell on the right separated by Boredale.
And now Beda Fell is on the right and Steel Knotts is on the left separated by Howe Grain.
Nearly back to the car after climbing a few stiles that if you are a fan of obstacle courses you will really enjoy. :)
Our route for today was -
St. Peter's church - St. Martin's church - Winter crag - Beda Head - Bedafell - High Dodd - above Boredale Hause - Place fell - Low moss - High Knott - Lakeshore path - Doe Green - St. Peter's church - ( about 8 miles 2500ft ascent )
« Last Edit: 18:56:18, 01/08/17 by karl h »

Percy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR 30th July - Beda Fell and Place Fell
« Reply #1 on: 17:55:10, 01/08/17 »
Nice TR Karl. I'd been thinking about heading up this way on Friday and this has sealed the deal.  O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:08:45, 01/08/17 »
Lovely photos Karl.
The 'Sun on Striding Edge' is stunning.

On to each walk a little rain must fall, or something like that.

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:56:01, 01/08/17 »
Great TR and photos O0  I hope to climb place fell soon O0

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:44:35, 01/08/17 »
That looks a nice walk Karl and some lovely photos. Thanks for sharing  O0

Regards Keith

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:46:44, 02/08/17 »
Enjoyed the pics and TR. Thanks for posting.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:40:31, 02/08/17 »
Great pics Karl  O0 I bet it was wet and boggy enough to qualify as a "Karl Route"  :)
Hate will never win

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:54:18, 02/08/17 »
Great photos karl     :)

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:43:58, 02/08/17 »
Really enjoyed the TR - and the pictures are great, Karl. I especially liked the first view of Beda Fell and the way it's framed by the foreground of the photo. O0 

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:28:58, 02/08/17 »
Thanks everyone for your very kind replies O0
@ April. I was a very good boy and stuck to recognised paths so no bogs for us :)

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:02:37, 02/08/17 »
great pics and TR karl  O0
i love ullswater, the view from hallin fell is one of my faves ...  :)

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:29:02, 02/08/17 »
Great TR and photos, Karl. We haven't walked those fells for some years and recently I was trying to persuade O/H to go that way again.

A quick query - on a couple of your photos there is a path going diagonally down from Boredale House. Do you now if this is open? I have some recollection of a route around there being closed in general because of the red deer, but that path looks quite clear and regularly used that I was wondering about it.

No worries if you don't know.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 23:56:49, 02/08/17 »
Lovely pics and write up Karl  O0   That route has now been added to my list of walks for when I'm next at my pals caravan  :)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:16:43, 03/08/17 »
Fab photos Karl O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:24:53, 03/08/17 »
great pics and TR karl  O0
i love ullswater, the view from hallin fell is one of my faves ...  :)
Thanks mate O0
We would have climbed Hallin fell but A, it was raining and B, we were knackered ;D

Great TR and photos, Karl. We haven't walked those fells for some years and recently I was trying to persuade O/H to go that way again.

A quick query - on a couple of your photos there is a path going diagonally down from Boredale House. Do you now if this is open? I have some recollection of a route around there being closed in general because of the red deer, but that path looks quite clear and regularly used that I was wondering about it.

No worries if you don't know.

Thanks sarah O0  I have never heard of the Boredale path being restricted ( but I might just have missed it though )  I have heard there are restrictions in Martindale around The Nab

Lovely pics and write up Karl  O0   That route has now been added to my list of walks for when I'm next at my pals caravan  :) 
Thanks Mel  O0  it is a nice round and there are afew options to descend from Place Fell, the one off the end is a killer on the knees  ;D
Fab photos Karl O0
You're very kind Tracey O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy