Author Topic: First lake district mountain for a 6 year-old  (Read 1580 times)

jonny

First lake district mountain for a 6 year-old
« on: 15:57:51, 08/08/17 »
Hello all  :)

I am starting to plan taking my six year-old daughter to climb her first mountain this summer, and am looking for some recommendations.

She's as fit and healthy as any other six year-old.  We recently climbed a 1,300 ft hill (not sure of total ascent), and she ran up the final ascent (though she had a friend with her - which has just given me an idea...)

My requirements:
- somewhere in the lakes (I'll be travelling up M6 from the south of the lakes)
- a real mountain (>2000ft)
- ideally something interesting for her to climb (maybe something to do/see on the way up or down), and
- ideally something that 'feels' like a mountain rather than just a bigger hill

I have climbing experience (Coniston Old Man countless times, more recently Scafell Pike, Skiddaw and Helvellyn - all alone), though would prefer something easy to navigate so I can spend the time giving my daughter attention rather than with my nose in a map!

To summarise, I'm not fussy at all  ;) Can anyone recommend anything?

Any other hints/tips would be greatly appreciated too.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: First lake district mountain for a 6 year-old
« Reply #1 on: 17:21:32, 08/08/17 »
I remember dragging my son up Cat Bells on his reigns. That was fun!

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:41:34, 08/08/17 »
Really depends on your mountain experience and her general outdoors experience, as well as equipment/clothing and weather.
By I was 6 my dad was taking me up Scafell Pike from Seathwaite, Green and Great Gable, Pavey Ark via Jack's Rake, etc. We also did the Snowdon Horseshoe, Glyderau etc. By I was 8 we were doing mountains in the Pyrenees and Alps.
However, if that's not your/her thing, how about Skiddaw - its a gentle way up and down that's pretty quick but has a 'proper' mountain feel.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:42:25, 08/08/17 »
I remember dragging my son up Cat Bells on his reigns. That was fun!
My kids first too but not tall enough for the OP

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:48:14, 08/08/17 »
Dalehead via Rigghead quarries? Straightforward ascent from Rosthwaite and the old workings to look at. Excellent views from the top (ask her which one she wants to do next!)  Descend via Honister, option to catch the bus back to Rosthwaite.
Not all those who wander are lost

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:45:17, 09/08/17 »
Haystacks from Honister. Interesting quarries, drum house, inominate Tarn, interesting top to explore.

Loughrigg is an interesting bumpy plateau. ( May not be high enough for You) but there are also the caves down on Loughrigg Terrace to explore.

If you want extra excitement/interest - try geocaching as well.

jonny

« Reply #6 on: 16:05:45, 01/09/17 »
Thanks for the feedback.  Adding geocaching is a brilliant idea!

Some other recommendations for others include Place Fell (2156ft) from Patterdale and Pike o Blisco (2313ft).   
I'll let you know when I decide!

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:33:38, 01/09/17 »
Thanks for the feedback.  Adding geocaching is a brilliant idea!

Some other recommendations for others include Place Fell (2156ft) from Patterdale and Pike o Blisco (2313ft).   
I'll let you know when I decide!

Glenridding to How Town then Place Fell back to Glen Ridding is a good walk. A bit steep in places depending how you go up and may be a bit long distance wise? But you do get a boat ride from Glen Ridding!

I'd also agree with Skiddaw, navigationally it is easy. You can get two peaks in with Little Man, it is a bit of a slog though but if clear the views are excellent. Interest wise though it's a bit dull until you get the first bit out of the way - nice view across derwent water though.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Scrambledlegs

« Reply #8 on: 07:21:21, 02/09/17 »
Catbells is probably the "go to" one in the lakes and is really beautiful but I'd also say castle Crag from Grange if you get a nice day so you can explore on the way up. It's a short walk (approx 1.5 hours). Higher up, to get to the summit you're climbing a path carved in to a slate heap and there's a cave on the way (where Milican Dalton lived), spooky slate tombstones, forest parts and olde worlde Stiles to climb over.

It's really just a personal favourite of mine and one I know all three of my kids could manage and have fun along the way. There's some free parking available at Grange village and there's even a lovely basic campsite between the walk and the village at "Hollowstones Farm" if you were considering an overnight visit.

Its really worth a visit.

dinger

« Reply #9 on: 21:36:56, 03/09/17 »
I agree Cat bells , but if you want a quick walk with great views but not very high is Orrest head from Windermere and great panoramic views.

Jonfun

« Reply #10 on: 14:57:14, 05/09/17 »
Agreed, Catbells .. and you can always head on further up to High Spy or beyond if you've got the energy (and the kid isnt moaning)  :)  ... Starting from the Keswick side of Derwentwater also means you get the start and finish the day with a boat trip, great fun for kids and adult kids!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy