Author Topic: Given up on Paramo  (Read 2139 times)

jethro10

Given up on Paramo
« on: 11:30:52, 11/08/17 »
I got some Paramo trousers a while ago.
I tried to solve the put on/take off overtrousers every 1/2 hour syndrome with the normal patchy lake district weather.
I thought they'd be waterproof, leg zips for coolness, pockets, wear all day like normal trousers and forget - whatever the weather.

Truth is light showers, intermittent short spells of heavier rain okish.
Proper rain, they pee through and I get cold. 4 hours on Helvellyn ridge in constant rain was not a lot of fun. Others with me, put on overtrousers and were at least warm, and fairly dry

I've washed em, treated em, washed the empty washer to "clean" it, followed all the instructions. Repeated all the above several times
spent a fortune on Nikwax products recommended for them.

Showerproof, yes. Waterproof, no.

So back to the Sprayway over trousers, press studs down the leg, zip on the outside of these, not inside like the berghaus ones, makes for easier cooling.
Almost totally dry, often a tad warm, inconvenient, but hey. That seems to be the compromise you have to make.

Anyone found the unusual Paramo concept to work fully as advertised?
Even if I could "crack" it, I think they are too high maintenance to be worthwhile.

J

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Given up on Paramo
« Reply #1 on: 12:16:42, 11/08/17 »
Perhaps it's luck.  I get Paramo because I hate overtrousers and find them comfortable in most weather.  I have never had any problem with waterproofing, and I live in the Hebrides, where it really knows how to rain!

jethro10

« Reply #2 on: 12:54:52, 11/08/17 »
Perhaps it's luck.  I get Paramo because I hate overtrousers and find them comfortable in most weather.  I have never had any problem with waterproofing, and I live in the Hebrides, where it really knows how to rain!
That's exactly what & why I was after Paramo.
It just hasn't panned out.
Perhaps you can offer a postal paramo washing service ;-)

J

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:02:44, 11/08/17 »
I've had mixed experience with Paramo trousers. "Details" as follows:-

Velez trousers: if freshly washed and water-proofed...they might be water-proof for one walk. By next walk...if it rains hard they will not be water-proof. In practice I treat them as soft shells...resistant to a light shower, and dry quickly.

Cascada trousers: after water-proofing, they are water-proof for a good number of walks. Like all Paramo stuff, they need washing fairly often, and re-proofing maybe twice a year...but unlike the Velez, I'd found the re-proofing is effective for a substantial period.

The odd thing is that typically the Velez trousers retail for a fair bit more than the Cascadas.

jethro10

« Reply #4 on: 15:27:53, 11/08/17 »
I've had mixed experience with Paramo trousers. "Details" as follows:-

Velez trousers: if freshly washed and water-proofed...they might be water-proof for one walk. By next walk...if it rains hard they will not be water-proof. In practice I treat them as soft shells...resistant to a light shower, and dry quickly.

Cascada trousers: after water-proofing, they are water-proof for a good number of walks. Like all Paramo stuff, they need washing fairly often, and re-proofing maybe twice a year...but unlike the Velez, I'd found the re-proofing is effective for a substantial period.

The odd thing is that typically the Velez trousers retail for a fair bit more than the Cascadas.
Mine are Cascada, but are acting like your Velez. Production control? They are certainly high maintenance, which isn't helping considering my issues......
J

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:43:13, 11/08/17 »
Mine are Cascada, but are acting like your Velez. Production control? They are certainly high maintenance, which isn't helping considering my issues......
J

Production control is certainly a possibilty...although at price point quality control ought to be rigorous.

Other "strange" thing now I think about it, is that my Velez Adventure Light jacket (where material and construction seem very similar to Velez trousers) has always proven admirably waterproof, as long as re-proofed a couple of times a year. (Similar to Cascada trousers.)

nesty

« Reply #6 on: 16:57:14, 11/08/17 »
I love paramo. It feels comfortable to me over a normal waterproof.
Paramo I feel isn't a waterproof. If you have constant driving rain after a while that will get though at some point, especially when paramo gear relies, so heavy on the nikwax.

Surely there will be a point where the pump liner is overloaded trying to pump out any condensation & repel water at same time?

I gather the testing is 4 hours constant. In practice with wind that's about 2 hours?
I have only been in 4 hours of contant rain with my Paramo once and I got wet!   

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:52:15, 11/08/17 »
A big thing is what you are wearing underneath. If you have something that isn't going to work with the system then any water that gets in (and Paramo isn't intended to stop it completely) is trapped there.
High exercise in heavy rain and you'll get wet whatever you wear, either from outside or inside. The question is whether you are comfortable. Walking in wet Paramo, for me, is still acceptably warm and comfortable. I also know that any break from the weather and it'll dry out fast. Even sitting for lunch with a Torres overlayer gives the base time to dry.
It is the same with Buffalo kit. Not fully bomb-proof, but more flexible than any other kit I've tried.

The other thing to consider is that it IS reproofable. Once an item relying on a membrane fails there is nothing you can do. Whilst things like Goretex are getting better at protecting the membrane, it still fails within a couple of years of abuse. My Paramo is ripped and re-stitched but still as good as ever.

Of course, as with any kit, what works best for each person is different. There are plenty of specific situations where Paramo isn't the best choice. Nor might it fit what a particular person does.

For the record, I use Velez Adventure Light smock and trousers most of the time. In winter I substitute a heavier pair of salopettes from their Mountain Pro exclusive range. For the base layer I use a the Paramo shirt with zips on the upper arms (mountain shirt?)
I seriously abuse my kit when out on the hills but look after it really well when I get home. As it usually comes back muddy, I tend to wash and reproof after every big trip anyway. I do the same when I use Goretex (which I still do when I have to be in uniform as Paramo hasn't brought out an MTP version) and Pertex (for fell-running due to weight and pack size) as leaving it muddy renders it unbreathable.
« Last Edit: 18:00:09, 11/08/17 by archaeoroutes »
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

JerryW

« Reply #8 on: 20:12:33, 12/08/17 »
I've had a variety of Paramo kit over the years but I've mostly given up on it too. Rohan waterproofs are properly waterproof, not "mostly." And I've none yet, that have needed reproofing. Cheaper, too. It says they last 20 washes without reproofing so I don't wash them  ;)
I love the outdoors, and will be out there, while I can :-)

Jim Parkin

« Reply #9 on: 15:37:12, 13/08/17 »
I think they might have moved to a lighter face fabric, which is more comfortable but less effective.  I still use my cascada trousers from 1992.  I changed from my 1992 Scala jacket to a Velez smock in about 2005, and still use that as my main winter waterproof.  In summer, I have a lightweight Marmot precip one that usually stays in my rucsac.   

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy