Author Topic: Widening the net on finding a good quiet wild camp for my dad and I?  (Read 2223 times)

Obinice

Good evening all!

I made a post in the Peak District section the other day but didn't get too far, so I'm widening the net! Apologies for not posting under a region specific forum, this covers multiple regions. I've used the magic of the Internet to find out how far we can comfortably travel in the car:

My father and I are looking for somewhere that we can park up and leave the car, then have a relatively easy walk for 60-90 minutes, and reach somewhere secluded away from the trails for us to pitch our tent overnight to enjoy the peace and quiet and nature away from other folks, trails and such. Maybe somewhere under cover of trees? That sounds lovely! Next morning we'll pack up and leave as we found, and head back to the car.

Anyone have any ideas on locations?

My dad and I have never gone camping together and we won't have many more years to do so. Thanks for the help! :)

beefy

• Veteran Member

when you say easy walk, thats difficult to judge based on your fitness, experience, etc.
secluded away from the trails usually means climbing a hill, the higher the better,
the peak district is easily reachable, you could even go on the train from manchester piccadilly, but sadly it is a very popular place, and secluded away from the trails is difficult to achieve, you could camp on kinder but its a climb, and if your unfit it would be a challenge carrying camping gear.
even in the lake district, when me and Ape' pitch our tent on some of the less popular fells, thinking theres nobody around, a runner will appear out of nowhere just before dark, and surprise us.
the lake district does offer some great wild camping and stunning views, you only have to check out some of Aprils trip reports here on the forum,
however,
to have a relatively easy walk for 60-90 minutes, and reach somewhere secluded away from the trails for you to pitch your tent overnight to enjoy the peace and quiet and nature away from other folks is unrealistic to be honest, styhead tarn is an easy camping place but very popular, its the sort of place where we would avoid for this reason,
Snowdonia is another place, but ive not much experience wild camping here,
other folk may give you the benefit of their knowledge

good luck

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Obinice

Thanks for the advice beefy, I'm fit but my dad hasn't got the best knees and while he's stronger and fitter than I'll ever be he's still 73 and age takes its toll on anybody, so I'm trying to avoid anything that would put too much strain on his knees. I'd rather keep the walking down to 2 hours and nothing too crazy.

Maybe there's just nowhere we can go. It's such a shame England is so small and highly populated  :-\

beefy

• Veteran Member

theres lots of places to go, but you will more than likely see other people,stanage edge is a place ive camped a few times, lots of free parkung. easy walk to get there, in fact theres lots of walks in the area, just google it,

i once camped in robin hoods cave on a wednesday night, there was a storm with howling winds, i got in the cave for shelter it was a horrible night, 12.30am 2 blokes turned up with a tent and pitched it in the cave entrance, they might as well pitched above on the edge because they were in the full force of the wind and driving rain
you can get some great sunrises / sunsets up there
heres a couple of videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34j23kMvNps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reYLuIIrTTA

« Last Edit: 05:27:50, 18/08/17 by beefy »
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Scrambledlegs

Not sure if you'd consider Keilder. Obviously you're unlikely to find yourselves completely alone but if you look on their website they mention that there's spots dotted around suitable for wild camping and as far as I'm aware it is a pretty remote hobby for the people who tend to visit there.

Most of the walking is low level but there's plenty of it and it's very peaceful.

It's a reservoir so very cold when you're near to the water but there's lots of forest to shelter in and there's some great parts of Hadrian's wall a short drive away if you wanted a different walking terrain.

Other than that you could maybe try any of the places you like the look of and have a back up plan for if you're asked to move on. That's what I'd do.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Try Bowderdale in the Howgill Fells. Very quiet valley, slight climb at first but virtually flat walk in. Stream for water and there are some flat bits near the stream. 60 to 90 mins should take you a decent way into the valley.

See
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=2435

Bowderdale is the valley this circuit goes round.

Route in is here

https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=qqagywllgxbzslrv

Straight up M6, come off at Tebay. Off road parking as you approach Bowderdale.
« Last Edit: 10:16:08, 18/08/17 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member

I thought of various places round the North of England, then realised I was thinking about 30 years ago.
If you could venture as far as the Scottish borders, I think it is still pretty quiet - most people stop in the Lakes or carry on to the highlands, but there are some nice hills, and the Scottish access laws have a very enlightened attitude to wild camping.  Maybe Ettrick or Moffat area?  If you look at where the various long distance paths go it would give you an idea of the terrain.  It is a bit of a trek, but once you are beyond Kendal the M6 stops being a traffic jam and becomes a fast route North.
I also wondered about the Howgills, last time I was there (last autumn) we had the ridge to ourselves,  but don't know the area as well as Ninthace.  Or maybe the area between Dufton and Teesdale?

Mel

• Veteran Member
I may have got you mixed up with another person obinice but... if this is your first time camping and your father's knees aren't great, might it be worth camping at a campsite in the Peak District and doing day walks?  Provided you avoid the likes of Kinder Scout, Mam Tor and the Monsal Head trail and such like, there'll be plenty of opportunities for solitude father/son bonding time, with the added bonus of a few creature comforts at the end of the day (a nice shower always eases ye olde aching body) .. which your father's knees may be thankful for!

Like I say, if I've got you mixed up with someone else, totally disregard what I wrote above!  ;D

MikeW

Check out Delamere Forest.
It's near the middle of your indicated area and as flat as your going to find so no great hill top views, just trees, but its all open access and full of places you could wild camp anywhere from 10 mins to a couple of hours from a car parking spot.
I live close to the forest and have spent many hours walking and mountain biking there and I go wild camping (though haven't camped in the forest myself yet as I like to camp on mountains) so can help you with suggestions for places to leave the car overnight and places you could set up depending on what features you are looking for - water supply etc. if needed. Or you could just go there and walk around until you've had enough and wander 2 or 3 mins from the path into the trees pretty much anywhere in the forest if you're carrying all your water with you.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
A pair of walking poles would help your Dad and his knees especially going downhill. I've got a pair of these  http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-carbon-walking-poles-784002?colcode=78400290 and worth their weight in gold.

Good luck with your walk.

Regards Keith

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Thanks for the advice beefy, I'm fit but my dad hasn't got the best knees and while he's stronger and fitter than I'll ever be he's still 73 and age takes its toll on anybody, so I'm trying to avoid anything that would put too much strain on his knees. I'd rather keep the walking down to 2 hours and nothing too crazy.

Maybe there's just nowhere we can go. It's such a shame England is so small and highly populated  :-\

No doubt that England is too densely populated and that outdoors pursuits have gone up in populatiry, so true solitude is almost impossible to find.

But that's a long way off making wild camping impossible. You can wild camp almost anywhere if you do it right. A few years back I camped on white horse hill in Wiltshire - it's a very popular landmark with road access, next to the Ridgeway, a popular bird watching site, a watch-the-sunset place and National Trust owed to boot - everything about it says not suitable. I fancied sleeping there so I just found a spot, wandered off until it was getting dark and everyone had gone and went back to the spot. I bivy bagged it. I'm not suggesting you do this - you don't need to go to those lengths - I'm just using it as an example of how even busy spots are doable. I'll camp anywhere - beaches, random fields, tops of hills - doesn't matter.

You won't know which spots are good until you get there. Take the Lakes. Last year I took my daughter on a wild bivvy. I looked at the map for a patch that wasn't a famous peak and aimed roughly for that. Drove along until I saw a footpath sign off the road heading in that kind of direction, parked up and walked uphill. An hour later we found a spot and camped overnight. Never saw a soul. It's that easy.

Last weekend my son and I camped in the Black Mountains. People on this site suggested a potential route which we started off with. We had no idea where we'd camp so just kept walking until something cropped up. Ended up camping in a lovely flat, grassy, secluded spot next to a stream that my son picked out with his 13 year old eyes.

When I first started doing it I felt like I needed to know the exact spot before I left the house. Now I know that is often pointless because you'll see a better spot on your way there and often find the planned spot isn't even available or very nice. Just don't plan on pitching up on the top of Scafell Pike at 2pm on a Saturday in July - pick places a bit less popular. Although if you did, chances are nobody would say a word and you'd have the peak to yourself before dark.
« Last Edit: 10:06:55, 25/08/17 by NeilC »

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
A tad out side of the area shown on your map but it is not far from the A44 Aberystwyth road. A mile north of Maesnant SN 77500 88000 at  
SN 78503 89102.
By a lovely rocky river with a ford an footbridge.

If you find this place on Google Earth You will see a track running north from the ford, this will give 4 miles level walking to the edge of an escarpment, a wonderful view with out having to climb a hill.

I defy you to tell me after being there that you have not been to a remote place. I walked there from the east on one of my X Wales routes. Not a place on the usual hill walking agendas.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

NeilC

• Veteran Member

If you find this place on Google Earth You will see a track running north from the ford, this will give 4 miles level walking to the edge of an escarpment, a wonderful view with out having to climb a hill.

I defy you to tell me after being there that you have not been to a remote place. I walked there from the east on one of my X Wales routes. Not a place on the usual hill walking agendas.

Once you've posted an exact location on the internet, don't be surprised if it stops being remote.  

It'll be searchable, potentially forever, for anyone Googling wild camping in that area.

Just sayin'! :)

phil1960

• Veteran Member
A tad out side of the area shown on your map but it is not far from the A44 Aberystwyth road. A mile north of Maesnant SN 77500 88000 at  
SN 78503 89102.
By a lovely rocky river with a ford an footbridge.

I've walked here myself, did a TR too but thanks to photobucket the pictures are missing, it's an inspiring area to walk
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Obinice

Hey folks! Sorry for the slow reply, the HDD died in my computer and I had to wait for a new one to arrive, recover data, restore it, blah blah. Took forever!

I'm going to work my way through these recommendations and see what my dad likes the sound of :) Will let you know how it goes! Walking poles are a great idea why didn't I think of that?!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy