Author Topic: Mountain rescue for folks high on Cannabis  (Read 2091 times)

jethro10

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Mountain rescue for folks high on Cannabis
« Reply #1 on: 11:54:53, 24/09/17 »
Ironically on the "highest" hill in England  :-\

personally I would have left them there...they would have soon got the munchies and come back "down"

why can't idiots like these morons be fined a huge amount?
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Deolman

« Reply #2 on: 13:36:42, 24/09/17 »
The emergency services are already under a tremendous amount of pressure.  Those who abuse the system should be made to pay.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:57:54, 24/09/17 »
A bloke just wearing his knickers one week, and now people being rescued so high on drugs, that they were unable to walk to safety.
The sooner all MRTeams, introduce a levy to be rescued off our hills, the better.
It may deter quite a few unnecessary idiots from calling out the Mountain rescue teams, when quite possibly a much more important and justified rescue needs their attention.

I am fully in agreement with you bricam, as there is no deterrent in place to stop these totally unnecessary idiots from flouting a much needed public service.

Its high time that walkers here in the uk, pay a nominal fee, like they do in the rest of Europe.

If this recurring problem was not an big issue for all MRTs throughout the Uk, then i have no issue with the MRS being free for all.

The mountains in the Uk are becoming so popular, that too many ill prepared people are risking their lives, and others, in their enjoyment.

I am not saying that certain members of the public have no right to walking the hills, but they must do it responsibly.

Those irresponsible walkers, should realise that its an honour, that members of the public give up their time for free, to come to their rescue.

Treat the service with the respect it deserves, and count your blessings it still remains free, when in fact they should have started charging us years ago.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:26:29, 24/09/17 »
 "when the walkers got a lot higher than they expected".

On the mountain or on the weed? ;)

Kukkudrill

« Reply #5 on: 18:57:27, 24/09/17 »
This story takes the biscuit. Or maybe the spliff  :o
Make the most of the available light

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:38:25, 24/09/17 »
Oops just posted this in the news sub forum!
Enjoy every sandwich

stuartpb

« Reply #7 on: 19:57:00, 24/09/17 »
I was walking Grindsbrook Clough a couple of months ago and someone was really hammering the cannabis. I think they'd found a spot to hide and smoke it but the wind was carrying the smell a pretty decent distance! It was around 2/3rds of the way up onto Kinder too, where it starts getting rocky underfoot. If they did manage to get down safely Id be surprised, they must have been properly stoned! If they had ended up needing rescuing then they deserved paying for the privilege I think. I'm relatively new to hill walking and I'm amazed at some of the gear people wear, how little prepared they are or even how some carry off. If they get hurt as a result of that then they should face some form of penalty when rescued. Sounds harsh but I think the same about ambulance and fire service time wasters. People have to start taking some responsibility for their own actions or choices.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:22:47, 24/09/17 »
"There's always someone out there trying to stop someone else having fun". Quote from the pub tonight!

langsettranger

« Reply #9 on: 21:42:05, 24/09/17 »
Iffen I'd known the full details of who/what I'd been asked to interrupt my day to deploy to ... I WOULD NOT have left my roast lamb lunch and family ... the retards put themselves in their position, the retards would have gotten themselves out of their own self-inflicted midden.

The Police deploy the MR Teams through the 999 System ... let them search for these clowns ...
LSR - The Langsett Stranger - retired night soil shifter, citizen, dog, lion and black buck mini lop trainer

Mines a pint

« Reply #10 on: 10:15:41, 25/09/17 »
 There are far too many of these unnecessary MRT call outs recently. I`m sure they`ll be happier when the weather turns a tad more chilly when these non outdoor types will stay indoors and just watch TV and dial out for pizza.
 I feel a bit more education for the general public is required. I recently took part in an organised challenge walk with mountain rescue present along the way. As we past one team sat in their vehicle my friend turned to me and said "They`ve got a good job,just sat in there and probably getting double time"(it was a Sunday). I told him they were volunteers and dont get paid,it took a few minutes for me to convince him this was true,I still think he probably Googled it when he got home!
 So,back to the original point,if more people had an understanding of how these teams operate they may think twice before venturing into unknown territory and expecting somebody to come and help them if they get lost,tired,hungry,late for tea,bored etc.

Cheers,Richard

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:24:32, 25/09/17 »
Surely they got picked up by the police after the rescue anyway? Possession of drugs, endangering others whilst under the influence etc . Maybe some community service raising funds for MRT would be in order when they do get to court.

Its one thing being stupid and getting into difficulties ( the charity walker in his Y fronts) but this is, in my opinion, at a different level again.

Maybe the MRT should have got them to strip down to their scanties and made then do the walk oof shame to the A&E for their check ups, and sold the photos, for charity of course.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:51:52, 25/09/17 »
A couple of winters ago I ran into a guy on Crib Goch making a brew and getting stoned and it was full winter conditions that day but even worse I was climbing in Cwm Idwal and two scousers were smoking spliffs about 10m directly below me and it was the crux of the route last place I needed to be getting stoned thanks to their second hand smoke!!
I was out with a guy from New Zealand and he was saying there they charge people who have got themselves in trouble by being an idiot, genuine call outs are free of charge

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:40:10, 25/09/17 »
The world is full of good people and a few too many selfish idiots.  I ran into a bunch of so called Druids on Dartmoor a few weeks back, most if not all appeared to be stoned.  Chucking it down with rain.  They weren't doing any harm I guess.  Bit different on top of a mountain.  When it's blatant that some one has put them selves in danger from a totally avoidable position and caused an emergency call out.  There should most certainly be sturdy deterrent for such actions. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy