Author Topic: TR A not so wild camp at Chollerford Sat 21 to Sun 22 Oct 17  (Read 1438 times)

April

• Veteran Member
I have an unexpected day off today so I thought I'd post some pics  :)

The weather was forecasted atrocious in the Lakes last weekend so we headed east to Hexham. We were going to use a campsite at Chollerford to pitch the tent, the weather looked nice there and we weren't sure about places to wild camp in the area. It was sunny as we set off.

A very pretty cottage on the way to Acomb from Hexham

The footpath to Acomb

On a wooden bench in Acomb village

On the way to Halfway House, although the house you can see in the pic isn't Halfway House  :D

The view from Halfway House

I don't know where the house is halfway from or to and I didn't get a photo of it either  :-[

Beefy on the lane to Fallowfield

We used a mixture of country lanes and footpaths on the way, they were quiet with nice views of Northumberland.

We had our lunch near Fallowfield enjoying the sun when it came out. It had clouded over as it got near lunchtime

Autumnal trees near Moulds Close

The lane to Moulds Close

The cross at Moulds Close and where we joined the Hadrian's Wall path

I don't think the cross was as tilted back as this, I think it was the way I took the shot maybe?  :-\

On the way to Planettrees

An ancient relic..... and the remains of Hadrians Wall  :D

Chollerford ahead

We had a quick peep at the village of Wall before turning back, it was in the opposite direction and the bit we saw didn't look very interesting.

We got to Chollerford and booked in at the tearooms, the campsite is behind it. We set the tent up then went back for some coffee, I had some coffee and walnut cake and a cup of coffee. Beefy was very good and only had coffee.

The MSR at Chollerford Riverside Campsite

As you can see we were the only people there and nobody else turned up, we had the whole campsite to ourselves.We went for a walk after our coffee along the riverside but it was quite uninspiring and we turned back after a mile and walked to the pub.

The view from the riverbank near Chollerford

The tearoom staff had recommended The Crown in Humshaugh about ten minutes walk away and not The George Hotel that was just over the road. We took their advice and spent a nice hour and a quarter in The Crown a very nice pub. We got back to the tent in time before the rain began. We had our tea and had some wine, no sunset view where we were but there wouldn't have been one anyway. We were sheltered from the wind though and we had a peaceful night. Our walk was Hexham - Acomb - Fallowfield - Heavenfield - Planettrees - Wall - Chollerford 12.5km with 200m ascent. We did an extra 4.5km with 30m ascent after we pitched the tent.

We were packed up by 8.25 next day and on the way back to Hexham. The wind was stronger away from the shelter of the campsite and full in our faces as we walked westward. We turned left toward Warden after we passed Chesters Fort and we had shelter from it as we walked down the quiet lane

Views across the valley on the way to Warden

Beefy on the lane to Warden

The lane got a bit busier with cars and we were pleased when we reached Bridge End and the footpath along the Tyne. We could see rain in the distance but apart from a few spots it didn't affect us.

The river Tyne near Bridge End

Rainbow

We stopped for lunch on the bank of the river but it was bit cold so we didn't stay very long

The river North Tyne joins the main river here

Tynedale Green Countryside Park

This is a popular area for the folk of Hexham. There is a golf course to the right of the footpath

The bridge over the Tyne at Hexham

Another lovely tree

Our walk was Chollerford - Chesters Fort - Warden - Bridge End - Tynedale Green - Hexham 11.5km with not much ascent.

We escaped the wet and windy weather and had two nice days walking, we wonder how long the autumn leaves will stay on the trees with the wind the way it has been?
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
lovely pics and write up ape'  O0
the last pic is my fave ...  :)

The cross at Moulds Close and where we joined the Hadrian's Wall path
I don't think the cross was as tilted back as this, I think it was the way I took the shot maybe?  :-\

you were still drunk ya bogger ...  :D

An ancient relic..... and the remains of Hadrians Wall  :D

Oi .....  >:(

just remind me who got lost and couldnt find their way from the tent to the toilet block ...  ;D ;D ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

adalard

• Veteran Member
Great write up and photos, April.  :) O0

I really like the one of the autumn trees near Moulds Close. The contrast in the colours is beautiful, really dramatic - especially with that dark sky!

On the way to Halfway House, although the house you can see in the pic isn't Halfway House  :D

Quarter-of-the-Way House, perhaps?  ;) ;D

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Great TR April, I used to have customers on Tyneside and stopped in Hexham for breakfast many times at a little cafe up some stairs somewhere behind the Abbey, after making a very early start.
Country lanes make a great part of a walk when the have lovely grass verges like the first 3 examples, the tarmac has spread out to the hedge bottoms in the third, no wonder it makes uncomfortable walking, no wonder you were glad to get to Bridge End.

It is not surprising that people a 100 or more years ago took to shortcuts across fields, even made longer routes, when walking became uncomfortable on the main routes to market, as then the cattle would occupy the whole way from hedge to hedge and leave the verges in no fit state to walk on.

You have posted a near perfect example of the modern day equivalent, sadly the option to choose a safer way over private land was not open to you.

Bet Arty Mews knew a few ways to find the coos, that we can't go on today ;D

« Last Edit: 14:56:43, 30/10/17 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Beautiful photos April and the autumn colours are gorgeous    :)   I especially like the one of the bridge over the Tyne at Hexham

I enjoyed a visit to Hexham some time ago   :)   A lovely town

April

• Veteran Member
you were still drunk ya bogger ...  :D

Sadly not  :(  ;)

Quarter-of-the-Way House, perhaps?  ;) ;D

;D Thanks adalard  :)

Bet Arty Mews knew a few ways to find the coos, that we can't go on today ;D

I bet he did  :) I loved the memorial plaque on the seat.

I enjoyed a visit to Hexham some time ago   :)   A lovely town

Hexham is a nice town and has lots of walking on the doorstep and more good walking if you have a car to get to the surrounding areas :)
Hate will never win

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Late response from me but thoroughly enjoyed this TR  Great pics.

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks Penygadair  O0
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Even later response, great as always  O0

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Lovely Autumnal photos April O0  A bit different from your usual Lakes adventures! :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks Ridge and sunnydale  :)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy