Author Topic: Is snow preventing anyone else from getting out?  (Read 1913 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Re: Is snow preventing anyone else from getting out?
« Reply #15 on: 17:23:33, 03/03/18 »
I live in a village in Suffolk with a hill at either end of our road.  Today is the first time since Monday we have been out in the car.  Have been out for short walks every day. On Wednesday instead of playing tennis as usual we went for a walk followed by hot choc/mulled wine at the local pub!  ;)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:37:36, 03/03/18 »
The thaw has already started here in the South West.  Happily I was off Dartmoor before the snow hit in earnest, on Thursday.  I past several cars this morning, that were still very buried under the drifts, close to where I had been parked.  I did need my shovel once to get up to Meldon village hall and park up for today's walk up High Willhays.    :)

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:10:12, 03/03/18 »
No, the snow hasn't stopped me getting out. However, I've been using the car less and avoiding minor roads.

For walking, I'm lucky enough to live in the country so I don't need to travel away from the village to walk. in fact i walked a few miles on snowy footpaths this afternoon.
Skip

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:33:19, 03/03/18 »
I spoke to a gentleman this morning, who lives next to where I parked, in Meldon Village.  He had tried to get out for a walk yesterday but could not get up the road on foot.  I was clambering over high drifts, just trying to get on to the moor this morning, in the thaw.  There were even cornices to avoid. Not something you expect on a Devon lane.  The going was much easier once I got off the road and onto Meldon dam.  So no guarantee of a walk, just because you live near by, if the weather is bad enough.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:42:19, 03/03/18 »
This snow has given me an appreciation of local footpaths and byways. I have been walking from my doorstep .....................

Same here....and it's amazing how different the paths look under a blanket of snow.
I've seen some fabulous snow drifts today on a bridleway heading out of Bakewell. 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 11:51:15, 04/03/18 »
Blimey what a change in the weather, its now 10C here in Dyffryn, almost spring like, and it was raining quite heavily this morning, but now the sun is shinning.

Ive just received an email from my friends son, who is in Sandhurst, undertaking his officer training.

Last Tuesday, three groups of officers in training were taken to the Brecon Beacons to undertake their 70K march, and it was the first time in the history of Sandhurst training, that the training course had to be called off.

They only managed roughly 30k of the march, before the conditions were deemed too severe, and the whole exercise was called off, for that to happen, conditions must have been pretty wild. :D

I am quite surprised they even considered venturing out in such hostile weather, but apart from the extreme cold, he said the sun was out, and conditions could have been far worse, but everyone managed roughly 18miles of the training march.

Oh i wish i was young was again.
« Last Edit: 12:01:45, 04/03/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:10:28, 04/03/18 »
Blimey what a change in the weather, its now 10C here in Dyffryn, almost spring like, and it was raining quite heavily this morning, but now the sun is shinning.

Ive just received an email from my friends son, who is in Sandhurst, undertaking his officer training.

Last Tuesday, three groups of officers in training were taken to the Brecon Beacons to undertake their 70K march, and it was the first time in the history of Sandhurst training, that the training course had to be called off.

They only managed roughly 30k of the march, before the conditions were deemed too severe, and the whole exercise was called off, for that to happen, conditions must have been pretty wild. :D

I am quite surprised they even considered venturing out in such hostile weather, but apart from the extreme cold, he said the sun was out, and conditions could have been far worse, but everyone managed roughly 18miles of the training march.

Oh i wish i was young was again.

It's a case of better safe than risk a law suit, for killing an inexperienced trainee these days.  As it should be if I'm honest.  I do think some of them are missing out on important life lessons though. 

I planned my route on Dartmoor on Thursday, to avoid the Army ranges, as there were exercises planned.  I noted when I was up there than none of the range flags were flying, so looks like they also cancelled the exercises on Dartmoor last week.   Would not have happened years back.  But they might have then had, what was then called, a tragic accident.
« Last Edit: 17:17:16, 04/03/18 by BuzyG »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy