Author Topic: Things that I like about walking  (Read 2344 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Things that I like about walking
« on: 15:36:44, 11/03/18 »
As an antidote to the 'Things that annoy me...' thread.
Not necessarily the obvious things, what do you like which the rest of us may not.

I like cleaning boots.
Don't tell my family because I moan about doing it but I get a sense of satisfaction from a row of clean, damp boots gently drying.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Things that I like about walking
« Reply #1 on: 16:08:34, 11/03/18 »
Planning a walk, especially if it's a LDW  O0

Already spent ages planning my C2C ... and it's not until June ... next year  ;D
Where there's a will ...

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:59:01, 11/03/18 »
I love that it's some thing I can enjoy with my son. :)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:05:07, 11/03/18 »
I love eating outside.  Even the most boring sarnie puts me in a good mood if I'm eating it sitting on a rock somewhere.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:18:33, 11/03/18 »
I love eating outside.  Even the most boring sarnie puts me in a good mood if I'm eating it sitting on a rock somewhere.

They taste even better sitting on a rock in the middle of nowhere.  O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:30:01, 11/03/18 »
I'm my own boss.

Mylo

« Reply #6 on: 17:31:37, 11/03/18 »
Just tuning out, forgetting about work and everyday life etc. Me, my dog and nothing else  :)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:32:38, 11/03/18 »
I love eating outside....

Yep, me too O0  There are many things I like about walking....but one thing I love is seeing different flora/fauna along the way and photographing it if/when possible.
I like being able to tell other group members the names of plants/flowers, birds, insects etc.
I usually get asked to name something if my friends have no idea.

Also, I love having the opportunity to explore properly...especially at the coast.  You just can't do that if you're stuck in a car.

***Happiness is only a smile away***

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:59:39, 11/03/18 »
Whilst I obviously enjoy the walking I like sitting in the pub in the evening, writing up my notes, having a meal and a drink (I don't normally drink), studying my map for the next day and chatting with people who invariably come across and chat - not forgetting having a shower at the end of the day!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:03:43, 11/03/18 »
...Even the most boring sarnie puts me in a good mood if I'm eating it sitting on a rock somewhere.

And, even the most limp sarnie that's been squashed and warmed to rucksack temperatures tastes wonderful when you've worked up an appetite  :)

I like walking in summer rain.  I don't care if I get soaked through to the skin.  Somehow, it's invigorating  :)

staggerindragon

« Reply #10 on: 19:32:43, 11/03/18 »

Oh, Ridge, you're brilliant.  What a great thread idea. :-)

I love the maps.  As a "colonial commoner," I found the OS maps and their incredible detail were a delightful surprise.  Sometimes they’re even my post-walk pub read.

Although I mostly walk solo, I’ve also met so many interesting people!  Farmers and shepherds have stopped to answer my silly city girl questions about the land and their animals, other walkers have shared their favorite routes, and don’t get me started about the couple I ran into on three completely different walks over two weeks and one border.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:44:46, 11/03/18 »
I enjoy being in the great outdoors, the exercise, the challenge of pushing yourself a bit more and leading groups on walks they may not have the confidence to walk alone. It's also an economical pastime once you've bought the basic kit that keeps you healthy.

Regards Keith

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:06:46, 11/03/18 »
I enjoy looking at my OS maps and linking up paths into a good walk.  I love getting off the beaten track and discovering scenic spots that aren't on the popular routes.  And I love the sense of adventure I get as I set off on a walk.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:47:26, 11/03/18 »
So many of these I agree with.

Walking with my son, the planning and OS maps both before and after walking, the joy of eating squashed sandwiches while sitting on a rock, the fact the I am brilliant.

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #14 on: 21:46:25, 11/03/18 »
I like it when the trail goes through woods/forest and it's all around you up close.

Obviously I also like the wide open panoramic views, but when the trail closes in and you're surrounded by it is definitely my favourite.
I'm wondering about wandering and wonder where I might wander if I wander while I wonder.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy