Author Topic: Camino BBC2 Friday 16th March 2018  (Read 7144 times)

jontea

• Veteran Member
Re: Camino BBC2 Friday 16th March 2018
« Reply #15 on: 10:45:55, 17/03/18 »
I’ve just watched last nights episode. I really can’t believe some of these people don’t do any research before saying yes to some money.

“I thought we’d walk a hundred yards and jump back in a van, didn’t think we’d actually do it” said one  :-\

I really like Ed Byrne, he knows what he’s let himself in for and is really enjoying the experience, being a regular walker.

Some interesting views coming from this group. I’ll look forward to next weeks program.
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:31:53, 17/03/18 »
Although I had never heard of Ed Byrne (sorry) I did like him.  As "A seasoned Walker" I did enjoy the difference in the size of his rucksack compared to the other six.  However I did expect that they would have their packs transported for them!  It hasn't put me off doing the walk but the number of people on the way is something that I am not used to - normally like to walk alone.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:45:55, 17/03/18 »
The situation of Raphael Rowe and the fact that his conviction was overturned is worth reading "2000 Appeal Court Hearing , convictions overturned" on Wikipedia. :-\ :-\

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:14:24, 17/03/18 »
Just watched this on i-player quite interesting although not my kind of walk. I think I'd very quickly end up thumping one to two of that group. Not sure about the emphasis on the religious aspect why can't they just enjoy the lovely limestone country.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:38:29, 17/03/18 »
Not sure about the emphasis on the religious aspect why can't they just enjoy the lovely limestone country.
Surely that is like going to Wembley on Cup Final day and saying why the emphasis on football.

Though not everyone, myself included, does the Camino for religious reasons a great  many still do. It is after all still one of the world's largest religious pilgrimages,  so it is completely  in context.

No one on the trail shoves religion down your throat  but it is ever present. So don't let that put you off if you are not inclined towards that aspect of he Camino.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Henm2

« Reply #20 on: 20:44:52, 17/03/18 »
'Not sure about the emphasis on the religious aspect.' Presumably something to do with the fact that it is an old pilgrimage route and the main destination the cathedral in Santiago is religious. I did a week's worth of it (St.Jean Pied de Port to Santo Domingo de Calzada) last October and will continue on from from there for another week in June. Lovely route with the camaraderie of fellow walkers adding to the atmosphere. I intend bivouacking some nights on route for flexibility.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:02:30, 17/03/18 »
HI Henm.

Welcome to the forum.

Each to their own, but it was the bad manners of many of my "companion" walkers that puts me off.

The sheer amount of litter in places was disgusting.  A great job done by the voluntary "ditch pigs" to clear huge quantities of the litter has cleaned up huge sections, though sadly only temporarily.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 09:36:30, 18/03/18 »
Not sure, as in not sure I could be bothered watching any more of it. I guess you're either into all the belief stuff or you're not.

It looked nice countryside, what little they showed. It also looked very crowded and they seemed to be walking mainly on tarmac surfaces. My preference is for wilder far less travelled places.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 21:22:40, 25/03/18 »
Just watching in now, not sure if its just for effect, just to interest the TV viewers but there is a lot of moaning going on. Nice camera work and views.

I did something today which has transformed my TV quality. I did away with the blue cable from my PC tower to my monitor and decided to connect with an HDMI cable. What a difference to the picture quality!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 21:46:38, 25/03/18 »
Just watching in now, not sure if its just for effect, just to interest the TV viewers but there is a lot of moaning going on.
I think it is just people who don't like walking, and why should everyone.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 09:18:31, 26/03/18 »
I didn’t enjoy the second episode. Although I can see the importance of understanding each persons story and their relationship with religion.
It was too much religion and not enough of the walking experience, ie time on the trail.

Like the free flowing wine from a tap, although I think I’d get jelly legs by the time I rejoined the trail  :D
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 10:45:05, 26/03/18 »
When I got to the wine fountain, I was more in need of water so filled up my water bottles with ......... water. Far too early to drink anything and they do ask nicely that you don't overdo the bottle filling so that more people can at least have a taste out of the daily allowance. I think it said they give about 100 L /day.

Funny how watching the program brought back things I had already forgotten, the walking stick man, the octagonal church. On the day going into Portomarin I suddenly remembered the man giving coffee by the roadside, for donations, made with milk direct from the cow. A taste of absolute fresh milk for me, which I remembered from as a child when my mam did the milking. (He did say he could get into trouble for selling the coffee as the milk had to be pasteurised to be legal, I had a free choice and I jumped at the chance to savour truly fresh milk.)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 11:40:31, 27/03/18 »
I started to watch part 2 last night but in the end I just switched off. I just couldn't get on with all of the time that was taken up talking about religion, spirituality and the general moans and groans. Not going to watch it anymore.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 12:22:57, 27/03/18 »
Whilst I am certainly not religious at all the walk is "a network of pilgrims' ways serving pilgrimage to the shrine of the apostle Saint James" and therefore not unexpectantly there is a significant amount of religious content in the programme however there also some individuals who are not religious and putting forward their views.  My view is that the programme isn't too bad, there are good views and even for me the churches are worth looking at.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 18:39:24, 27/03/18 »
I'm quite enjoying the programme.  However I hope my aunt isn't watching it as I seem to recall a drunken moment of stupidity where I said I'd walk it (or part of it) with her once she retired.  She's now retired.  Hope she's forgotten THAT conversation  ;D   

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy