Author Topic: The truth about single skin / hybrid tents  (Read 12982 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: The truth about single skin / hybrid tents
« Reply #45 on: 08:33:13, 28/06/18 »

In his garden, twice, then he sells it ;D

Ouch!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 08:34:19, 28/06/18 »

Come on MT,
Let's hear your next load of nonsense  ;D

He's gone quiet since yesterday.  :o

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 08:40:28, 28/06/18 »
Single skin tents are great in the right hands and a new learning curve, just have to play with it.

How many nights have you spent in it and where? What were the conditions like?

When you come back and tell us you have spent 20 nights in it in all weather conditions and you hardly got any condensation then your post might have some credibility.

This year we have spent 20 nights in our tent so far. In differing weather conditions. The last few weeks we have had little to no condensation because the ground and air is so dry, sometimes there has been no air movement, sometimes a little. In those 20 nights we have had maybe 4 nights when a lot of condensation has built up, this is due to the weather conditions, not the tent. Cool nights, damp ground, damp air, little wind means you will get some condensation. We don't worry about it! Sometimes you will have condensation and sometimes you won't.

I was just about to post this reply then I saw the new replies  :o
Hate will never win

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 08:49:44, 28/06/18 »
Just looking at the picture more carefully - so is that strictly speaking a single skin design? It looks like it has a mesh inner, at least where the walls are concerned?

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 08:51:41, 28/06/18 »
How many nights have you spent in it and where? What were the conditions like?

Let's hope it's more than his Drift  :D

Love threads like these, First off it’s obvious to me the Tent isn’t set up correctly    

You couldn't pitch your trekkertent, you had to ask me for pictures    ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

FOX160

« Reply #50 on: 08:52:34, 28/06/18 »
That's an interesting location, fox; where is it?
Sorry that was a pic from https://www.yamamountaingear.com/swiftline-2P/  I am hiking round Essex
Think I need start a thread on question and answers based on my experiences in single wall tents
as this is a bit congested now.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 08:54:29, 28/06/18 »

Sorry that was a pic from https://www.yamamountaingear.com/swiftline-2P/  I am hiking round Essex
Think I need start a thread on question and answers based on my experiences in single wall tents

Thanks Fox.

Perhaps that would be no bad thing, although I remain to be convinced myself.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 08:55:14, 28/06/18 »
So your going to avoid our questions now :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

FOX160

« Reply #53 on: 09:00:32, 28/06/18 »
In his garden, twice, then he sells it ;D
Like I have said I will create a new thread and explain with my experiences of single skin tents, where to pitch and how to keep warm, plus what type of single skin shelters that will suite UK conditions.
Regarding where I camp is mainly Brecon and anywhere I wish to pitch.
That tent was the Double Rainbow and I will cover that tent too.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 09:07:32, 28/06/18 »

Like I have said I will create a new thread and explain with my experiences of single skin tents, where to pitch and how to keep warm, plus what type of single skin shelters that will suite UK conditions.
Regarding where I camp is mainly Brecon and anywhere I wish to pitch.
That tent was the Double Rainbow and I will cover that tent too.

I look forward to having a sensible discussion about single skin tents, although my experience of them is zero.

FOX160

« Reply #55 on: 09:10:52, 28/06/18 »
Let's hope it's more than his Drift  :D

You couldn't pitch your trekkertent, you had to ask me for pictures   ;D
The reason I asked is that my Drift tent wasn’t correctly made and that I used one of your pictures to explain and then received a refund! And I explained this to you WTF

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 13:43:25, 28/06/18 »

I look forward to this.

My concern when people post about these ultralightweight single skin or all mesh inner tents is that someone inexperienced will buy one on the back of a recommendation because they are so light, not knowing that they may not be suitable if they want to use them wild camping on the higher mountains in the UK or in bad weather. I know people do use them in the hills but the you tube videos I've seen show people freezing their b*ll*cks off and looking miserable if the weather isn't great. Let's face it, the warm dry weather we are having at the moment is not normal. Saying that it was really cold on the higher fells in the Lake District on Saturday, maybe 6 degrees and the wind chill made it even colder. I am so pleased we have a double walled tent. People using these single skin/all mesh tents would have to take warmer sleeping bags or extra clothes to keep warm. So the weight saving on the tent is lost. Or perhaps others don't mind being cold?
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 17:20:25, 28/06/18 »

I look forward to this.

My concern when people post about these ultralightweight single skin or all mesh inner tents is that someone inexperienced will buy one on the back of a recommendation because they are so light, not knowing that they may not be suitable if they want to use them wild camping on the higher mountains in the UK or in bad weather. I know people do use them in the hills but the you tube videos I've seen show people freezing their b*ll*cks off and looking miserable if the weather isn't great. Let's face it, the warm dry weather we are having at the moment is not normal. Saying that it was really cold on the higher fells in the Lake District on Saturday, maybe 6 degrees and the wind chill made it even colder. I am so pleased we have a double walled tent. People using these single skin/all mesh tents would have to take warmer sleeping bags or extra clothes to keep warm. So the weight saving on the tent is lost. Or perhaps others don't mind being cold?

Agreed. As I see it, it is 'horses for courses', April; single skins and mesh inners might be a good choice for the South Downs Way in the summer, or for the south of France, but NOT for camping high in wild places, especially out of season (in my humble opinion).

If a newcomer to the game is to spend money on a tent, then far better for it to be a good all rounder, preferably at a budget price, rather than an expensive thoroughbred that will be found wanting in some situations. They can go on and buy that thoroughbred once they have the experience to know what they want and can expect from it.

For example, many years ago I lent an old classic Force 10 MK 4 to a friend, and he completed a Scottish coast to coast across the wilds of Sutherland, from Helmsdale to Lochinver, with his two teenage children. It may have been heavy (8kg), and thus far from ideal for backpacking, but it did the job!
« Last Edit: 17:25:08, 28/06/18 by richardh1905 »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 18:58:42, 28/06/18 »
If a newcomer to the game is to spend money on a tent, then far better for it to be a good all rounder, preferably at a budget price, rather than an expensive thoroughbred that will be found wanting in some situations. They can go on and buy that thoroughbred once they have the experience to know what they want and can expect from it.

I agree with you Richard, £500 is a lot of money, a newcomer is better to get a good all rounder instead of just going for the lightest weight option.
Hate will never win

Jim Parkin

« Reply #59 on: 20:56:41, 29/06/18 »

https://youtu.be/CgbcQIT7BMc
Looking at the comments, that was actually made by the cast and not overdubbed.
Gulp

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy