Author Topic: intersecting lines  (Read 587 times)

rutger

intersecting lines
« on: 14:27:27, 17/07/18 »
Hello gps users.
I have been trying to figure out how to mark a point in the distance with the use of a GPS device. I use the GPSmap64s.
Is it possible to create intersecting lines from different viewpoints? If I could create 2 or 3 Sight 'n Go lines pointing to the same object in the distance from different points of view it should create intersecting lines. I wonder if anyone has experience with this. Curious to find out how.
Thanks!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: intersecting lines
« Reply #1 on: 16:14:13, 17/07/18 »
I've been using GPS for many years and don't believe any GPS can do what you wish.
Where there's a will ...

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:02:48, 17/07/18 »

I've done this kind of thing but it's not too reliable. It's not done internal to the GPS either.
'Mark' your position and take a 'sight and go' line from that point then 'project' the waypoint. You'll have to guess the distance. I usually go way over and say '30 miles'
Do the same again from another point; The further away from the original the better. Ideally a few miles or more. - 100 yards would be useless. Then load all those 'marked' and projected points into, say, Memory Map. Join the line pairs with a route and Voila! Where the lines intersect should be near to what you were trying to identify. Unless, you didn't guess at a large enough distance for the projection...
I certainly couldn't recommend this as a navigation method.

rutger

« Reply #3 on: 18:29:11, 17/07/18 »
Thanks! i will try this out and see how accurate I get it. Looking forward.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy