Author Topic: Newbie - how hard is walking in the Brecon Beacons?  (Read 4281 times)

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: Newbie - how hard is walking in the Brecon Beacons?
« Reply #15 on: 16:32:37, 01/03/19 »
Jon if you look at waypoint 3, see “mine” marked nearby, there’s a path leading away from the main path down to the Sychryd. Here there are old silica mines to explore and even more waterfalls. You can follow the right hand path back to Craig y Ddinas, but an old miners bridge was removed years ago so it’s a proper dodgy scramble at the end lol
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

astaman

« Reply #16 on: 18:36:52, 01/03/19 »
Thinking about it Duncan and looking at the type of walking you mention recently, you may well enjoy waterfall country rather than the high hills. I know the Beacons area intimately, not just the main peaks including many “secret” little paths you won’t find in a guidebook, it comes with being local. I’m not a fan myself of lunchtime pub stops, but the Angel in Pontneddfechan is a favourite of ours as is the Old White Horse just around the corner. You could either start a walk here or use it as a mid point for lunch. The area contains a high number of stunning waterfalls in a relatively small area on several rivers with generally “knee friendly” paths. If this appeals to you send me a PM and I’ll be happy to help.

On reflection I'd give this my vote too. I grew up near here and spent a happy childhood and youth camping around the waterfalls. I haven't been back for a few years so I'd  be happy to hear that the White Horse in Pontneddfechan is alive and well. Last time I was there I it seemed to be on its last legs. I recall they used to have a sort of bunkroom in the back. I stayed there on cycle tour once, it was basic but adequate. I think it was frequented by cavers.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:54:53, 01/03/19 »
Jon if you look at waypoint 3, see “mine” marked nearby, there’s a path leading away from the main path down to the Sychryd. Here there are old silica mines to explore and even more waterfalls. You can follow the right hand path back to Craig y Ddinas, but an old miners bridge was removed years ago so it’s a proper dodgy scramble at the end lol

O0
Where there's a will ...

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:34:06, 01/03/19 »
Astaman - Yes the White Horse is really popular and not as fussy as the Angel, dog friendly too which is good for us with a two year old collie.
« Last Edit: 20:45:20, 01/03/19 by phil1960 »
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

MockDuncan

« Reply #19 on: 11:43:15, 02/03/19 »
Definitely going ahead thanks to the replies here. Really, really appreciated and I'll continue with my research now I know we can cope with the walks. Special thanks for the offer of more info and I might take you up on it.
Thanks again
Duncan

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy