Author Topic: Stability of Mobile Phone Navigation Apps  (Read 5768 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Stability of Mobile Phone Navigation Apps
« Reply #45 on: 16:00:48, 30/12/18 »
Funnily enough I only ever use routes on my Etrex, far more flexible than tracks  ;)
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 16:14:12, 30/12/18 »
+1. Routes are for doing, tracks are for recording.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 16:21:49, 30/12/18 »
Yep  O0
Where there's a will ...

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 20:44:22, 30/12/18 »
Hey, thanks for the explanations. The reason I started transfering tracks (after having made them from routes in basecamp !) was because whenever I tried to transfer a (say) 15 mile route to my etrex, it only accepted about half of the route.

The first time I did it was a route I had created on OS, which was up and around llanthony in Wales. When I looked on the screen of my etrex after the transfer, it stopped approximately half way round. In my naive way I thought maybe the etrex didn`t have enough memory to show it all with so many waypoints, having snapped the route in OS. I thought maybe when snapping it creates too many way points (being so accurately following the route in this national park).
So I started converting them to tracks which my etrex readily accepted on transfer & showed all of the track from start to finish..Another thing was that the routes showed a lolipop sort of emblem at every way point which actually obscured parts of the route just when I needed to see it clearly (at a waypoint/turning etc) :o
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 20:51:30, 30/12/18 »
That is true but not if you wanted to turn the route into a track - not sure why you would want to but that is what G&P asked.
G&P  - if you are using the OS website to create routes you could export the route directly to your computer as a gpx file without involving VR.
Thanks yes. I do that already (transfer to my pc) then convert to a track in basecamp , for the reason on my previous post. I readily accept I may be something silly though. I mentioned VR because it seems more capable than OS, which expires for me soon.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 21:16:38, 30/12/18 »
Hey, thanks for the explanations. The reason I started transfering tracks (after having made them from routes in basecamp !) was because whenever I tried to transfer a (say) 15 mile route to my etrex, it only accepted about half of the route.

The first time I did it was a route I had created on OS, which was up and around llanthony in Wales. When I looked on the screen of my etrex after the transfer, it stopped approximately half way round. In my naive way I thought maybe the etrex didn`t have enough memory to show it all with so many waypoints, having snapped the route in OS. I thought maybe when snapping it creates too many way points (being so accurately following the route in this national park).
So I started converting them to tracks which my etrex readily accepted on transfer & showed all of the track from start to finish..Another thing was that the routes showed a lolipop sort of emblem at every way point which actually obscured parts of the route just when I needed to see it clearly (at a waypoint/turning etc) :o

I think I can help.  The lollipop thing is an OS artifact, it creates waypoints at each mouse click, these are what you are seeing.  Drop the OS file into Basecamp via your PC, convert it to a track as you have been doing, you now don't need the route anymore and can delete it if you want. Drop the track into your Etrex then convert this track into a route, make sure the maximum number of way points is set to 250 (assuming your 20 is the same as my 30).  Now you should have a route the length of your intended journey and the original track as well.  Now walk following the route and you can use waypoint and off course alarms etc.
In theory you could drop the OS gpx file direct into your Garmin but you will still need BaseCamp to do the route - track - route conversion thing. Personally I like to have a file of planned routes in BaseCamp and drop them into the Etrex as I use them.
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 21:29:20, 30/12/18 »

I think I can help.  The lollipop thing is an OS artifact, it creates waypoints at each mouse click, these are what you are seeing.  Drop the OS file into Basecamp via your PC, convert it to a track as you have been doing, you now don't need the route anymore and can delete it if you want. Drop the track into your Etrex then convert this track into a route, make sure the maximum number of way points is set to 250 (assuming your 20 is the same as my 30).  Now you should have a route the length of your intended journey and the original track as well.  Now walk following the route and you can use waypoint and off course alarms etc.

That makes a lot of sense ..many thanks.! Hopefully this week I can create a track then convert back to a route on my etrex, then get out & walk the Xmas pud off....I carry a Doro 8020x  tough phone in my pocket, but it is the Etrex that stays in my hand/strap clip most of the time as it is so light, convenient & reliable.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 21:51:34, 30/12/18 »
Just to be clear - you will need BaseCamp to do it.  The Etrex menus do not have a route to track or vice versa conversion option (well mine doesn't).  I got caught by the maximum number of way points per route thing when I used the OS app to generate a route in a national park with the snap to option selected - every bend became a way point.  Didn't notice until I was well on my way and ran out of route so ended up following the track instead.  Stupid really as I usually check that my whole route is on the Etrex map before I leave home since I had the odd occasion when for one reason or other it wasn't there.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 22:18:36, 30/12/18 »
I've been there too, happened to me when walking the Ridgeway.  I knew full well that routes were limited to 250 points, which generally is more than adequate, but that section was particularly 'twisty' so I ended up exceeding the 250.  Lesson learnt!  It's the one advantage a track has, as you're allowed up to 10,000 points  :)
Where there's a will ...

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 22:07:12, 02/01/19 »
Just to be clear - you will need BaseCamp to do it.  The Etrex menus do not have a route to track or vice versa conversion option (well mine doesn't).  I got caught by the maximum number of way points per route thing when I used the OS app to generate a route in a national park with the snap to option selected - every bend became a way point.  Didn't notice until I was well on my way and ran out of route so ended up following the track instead.  Stupid really as I usually check that my whole route is on the Etrex map before I leave home since I had the odd occasion when for one reason or other it wasn't there.
What are the benefits of using a route if tracks can cope with more way points.? I always create a track from any route I make , because my Etrex does not accept long routes, even as a GPX... & I think from what has been said then, it is because there are too many way points when I use the snap to function on OS, which I like. I hike a lot in the Brecon Beacons, which as you know allows the snap to function in OS
Edit. : I just realised Ninthace, you said Off course alarms etc can be used with routes. ok
« Last Edit: 22:18:35, 02/01/19 by GinAndPlatonic »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 22:42:28, 02/01/19 »
Off course alarms and better options in data fields.  It's rare I come close to the 250 point limit, even the 26 mile route from Byrness to KY on the last day of my PW route was less than 250.
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 23:00:21, 02/01/19 »
I would add to sussamb's reply the option to have an audible way point alarm.  I usually have my Etrex clipped to my pack, as I approach a way point it pings so I know I am on the right route without even looking at it (it can be heard even if the Etrex is in my pocket.  Conversely, if you come to a bend and it hasn't pinged, that may be a clue you are going adrift.
If you navigate by following a track you have to keep fishing the unit out to check it - a bit like old fashioned map reading.  ;)
A trick here too.  If your route includes a critical "do not miss" turn or geographical feature you can set say 4 waypoints almost together and the unit will ping 4 times within the space of a few yards to alert you.  For example, I have used it to let me know I am passing an interesting pothole or cave.
Solvitur Ambulando

Jim Parkin

« Reply #57 on: 19:56:28, 03/01/19 »
The OS app can either follow a route or record a track (which it calls a route) but not both at the same time, unlike ViewRanger.
Thanks - I have  strava or a fitbit to do the recording.  And I haven't followed GPS tracks, except once as a trial, which worked.

An interesting article around modern navigation methods here:
http://www.alexroddie.com/2019/01/skills-guide-modernise-your-mountain-navigation.html

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 20:37:59, 03/01/19 »
I would add to sussamb's reply the option to have an audible way point alarm.  I usually have my Etrex clipped to my pack, as I approach a way point it pings so I know I am on the right route without even looking at it (it can be heard even if the Etrex is in my pocket.

Good point, I use that too  O0
Where there's a will ...

Walk666

« Reply #59 on: 12:09:16, 06/01/19 »
Hi Ninthace I have used several tracking apps but now I have stopped tracking altogether, I just use the OS maps and I don't bother looking at the mileage anymore, I found it liberating because I'm not constantly checking my phone anymore, I'm just enjoying the walking, but I appreciate that some people like to track their walks, I did it for two years before I stopped, there are that many apps on the market it's a bit of a minefield but I hope you get sorted, I may well return to tracking one day but for now I'm just enjoying the freedom of walking, good luck :)
Walking the right of way

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy