Author Topic: Youth Hostels - the demise  (Read 3086 times)

Jac

• Veteran Member
Youth Hostels - the demise
« on: 12:03:40, 26/09/17 »
Came across this when browsing and thought it might be of interest to several peops on here with memories or maybe old photos which could be added to the project.

As I used to have a dog hostelling wasn't an option, though am a member and I have stayed in several on trips with groups. I now realise what an amazing places I missed experiencing, from tiny and basic to grand houses :(

http://www.geograph.org.uk/article/Former-youth-hostels-of-Great-Britain/3#yha--england
« Last Edit: 15:07:31, 26/09/17 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Percy

• Veteran Member
Re: Youth Hostels - the demise
« Reply #1 on: 12:22:58, 26/09/17 »
Blimey. I knew a lot had closed but am perhaps too young to realise just how many have been lost.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:12:19, 26/09/17 »
Many have closed and are independent Hostels nowadays....thankfully  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:26:13, 26/09/17 »
Interesting Website.   I see Westerdale Hall, closed in 1992.  I stayed their, back in the mid 70's.  The photo on that site is just as I remember it.  Still a very normal Youth Hostel inside, despite the grand facade.  I must have been 15 at the time.  My mum phoned the hostel to check if I had arrived,  I was cycling from Malham that day, I hadn't.  I finally arrived about 7pm to be told by the warden to go phone her before I did any thing else.  Which I did. Different world, imagine some stranger trying to tell a teenager to phone their mum these days. 

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:27:00, 26/09/17 »
Many have closed and are independent Hostels nowadays....thankfully  O0

I'm not sure of the context of your 'thankfully' Bri?
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Stube

« Reply #5 on: 23:19:23, 26/09/17 »
Interesting, but the list is incomplete.

All the Hampshire youth hostels have closed bar one, leaving the county with the unique distinction of having more national parks than hostels!  :o

Winchester is the only former hostel in the list.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 01:17:28, 27/09/17 »

I'm not sure of the context of your 'thankfully' Bri?

Thankfully...as in...thank goodness, as it means there are still hostels open along National Trails etc. making accommodation possible.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:15:01, 27/09/17 »
Interesting, but the list is incomplete.

All the Hampshire youth hostels have closed bar one, leaving the county with the unique distinction of having more national parks than hostels!  :o

Winchester is the only former hostel in the list.

The main reason for posting on here was so people could add their knowledge to the project.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

dinger

« Reply #8 on: 10:27:15, 27/09/17 »

I brought the discussion on another walking forum. I was going to do a walk around Ennerdale and stopping at a youth hostel up Black sails but it was £35 for 1 night :o  so think I will give it a miss.
Last week stopped at Plas curig independent hostel £52 for 2 nights and it was top notch compared to Black sails.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:37:34, 27/09/17 »

I think it's a shame so many youth hostels have shut.  I also think it's a pity they aren't for youth any more,  a 15 year old BuzyG wouldn't be allowed in now without an accompanying adult, and where's the fun in that?  I stayed in Hawes youth hostel a couple years ago and at over 60 I was still the youngest person in.
And I agree that Black Sails can be a ridiculous price, though some people seem to get a better deal.  But I refuse to pay that much for a dorm bed!

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #10 on: 13:37:31, 27/09/17 »
I brought the discussion on another walking forum. I was going to do a walk around Ennerdale and stopping at a youth hostel up Black sails but it was £35 for 1 night :o  so think I will give it a miss.
Last week stopped at Plas curig independent hostel £52 for 2 nights and it was top notch compared to Black sails.

It seems that the YHA tend to treat Black Sail as a Cash Cow.   They know that that people will pay £35 for the privilege of staying in such an iconic hostel, and the fact that the place is almost fully booked all the time proves that point.

I actually prefer to stay at Skiddaw House, rather than Black Sail.   Just like Black Sail, Skiddaw House is also a remote iconic hostel, but I think it's much more comfy than Black Sail.   At least you don't have to go outside to go to the loo or the shower.   It's also much cheaper at only £18 a night (or £15 if you're a YHA member).   

The main difference is that whilst Black Sail is owned by the YHA, Skiddaw House is independent.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:29:55, 27/09/17 »
On recollection, with the closure of Capel Y Finn youth hostel in the Llanthony valley many years ago, that very popular walking area is no longer served by a YH.
I am sure the same can be said, for a fair few other popular destinations, their a bit like pubs in small village communities, once they close their doors for good, few if any get saved by the locals.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:50:02, 27/09/17 »
a 15 year old BuzyG wouldn't be allowed in now without an accompanying adult, and where's the fun in that?

Personally, I'm glad that unaccompanied 15 years olds aren't allowed.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:53:08, 27/09/17 »
It seems that the YHA tend to treat Black Sail as a Cash Cow.   They know that that people will pay £35 for the privilege of staying in such an iconic hostel, and the fact that the place is almost fully booked all the time proves that point.

I actually prefer to stay at Skiddaw House, rather than Black Sail.   Just like Black Sail, Skiddaw House is also a remote iconic hostel, but I think it's much more comfy than Black Sail.   At least you don't have to go outside to go to the loo or the shower.   It's also much cheaper at only £18 a night (or £15 if you're a YHA member).   

The main difference is that whilst Black Sail is owned by the YHA, Skiddaw House is independent.

Completely agree.
...more or less exactly what I posted on another forum

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:08:56, 27/09/17 »

Personally, I'm glad that unaccompanied 15 years olds aren't allowed.

Generalisation here, but 15 year old's these days, don't respect there elders the same.  Possibly as a result of being nannied to death by society and therefore simply not gaining the independence to go live life, that previous generations enjoyed. Shame.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy