Author Topic: tarp  (Read 1190 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
tarp
« on: 13:15:17, 17/07/18 »
Whilst the weather is so good I fancy having a go at bivvying.

To that  end I'm trying to source a good but cheap ultralight tarp. Any suggestions both on size and make.
Was thinking of using one of those tarps you can buy at Wickes just as a trial. But then keep coming back to the DD mini tarp. But knowing people on this forum have, within the collective, tried everything, I thought you could advise me.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Ronin83

Re: tarp
« Reply #1 on: 14:52:47, 17/07/18 »
Those DD tarps look good and get good reviews, but are expensive.
I recently got a British army tarp/basha in perfect condition from Britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk for about £20 with postage.
Seems good so far, although I haven't personally tried it in heavy rain yet(we haven't had much of that lately).
Its light and packs up small.
You'll need paracord and to learn a setup or 2 from YouTube.
I would say its the best tarp option on a budget, but im a beginner so someone else can no doubt recommend better ones and the ins and outs.

Ah, one thing tho, it doesn't have a loop in the middle so pivoting between straight and diagonal setups isn't so easy, if that matters.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:11:17, 17/07/18 »
I've bought a Bivi, a Snugpack Stratosphere which I've now used half a dozen times. I still am not fully used to it but to date I like the discrete freedom it offers me. I bought the small tarp from Alpkit to use with it, again I'm not totally sure which tarp configuration is best though. Being the smallest tarp there are only a few options for me, at the moment I've settled into the one that covers half the Bivi, the head end.

I've never yet had to worry about rain, so for me this is a weakness. I'm sure its going to cause me problems as I try to erect the tarp and bivi and stay dry at the same time. I've aready worked out that success is all about choreography and procedure. In the dry I put my Bivi up first, then tarp. In the rain I'm sure it will have to be tarp first, then bivi. It needs thinking about, that's for sure!

I've solved the problem of where to put my boots overnight, one each side of my head and I put my rucksack under the tarp opposite to the side I get out of. I also take my groundsheet which I make sure sticks out someway from the bivi, something dry and comfortable to stand on (obviously not if it rains) as I get organised.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:09:36, 18/07/18 »
Have you ever considered making your own.
I damaged the Pertex fabric on one of my favourite jackets, and very high quality Ripstop Nylon is available from companies on Ebay, for as little as £3.99 a meter squared, and available in quite a few colours.

Buying a already manufactured tarp, is bound to be expensive, but purchasing the material yourself is a very low cost option.

The Pertex Rip stop fabric i received through the post on Monday, is very high quality stuff, as heavy duty as Pertex 6 i recon, maybe harder wearing as well.

Buy the material yourself, and experiment a little, as i recon you could make your own for less than £15, heavy duty Ripstop nylon is incredibly cheap to buy online.
« Last Edit: 13:12:55, 18/07/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:02:14, 18/07/18 »
I've only used the old ponchos and the new(ish) IFS. The latter works great in its intended woodland.
I did have an old tent with two vertical poles that I sometimes just used the outer of in the mountains, so that was rather like a hi-tech tarp. Actually, I used it like that on my ML assessment, much to the horror of the other candidates.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Chris Randell-Fishwick

« Reply #5 on: 00:06:15, 19/07/18 »
Whilst the weather is so good I fancy having a go at bivvying.

To that  end I'm trying to source a good but cheap ultralight tarp. Any suggestions both on size and make.
Was thinking of using one of those tarps you can buy at Wickes just as a trial. But then keep coming back to the DD mini tarp. But knowing people on this forum have, within the collective, tried everything, I thought you could advise me.

Would not bother with a tarp a waste of space in the UK unless you are a Southerner. Midges play havoc in Northern regions. Plus I do not just mean Scotland. :-X  Go for a bivy bag and cover up if the wee beasties are about. ::)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:18:00, 19/07/18 »

Agreed - I bought a nice DD 3x3 tarp hoping it would help me 'lose weight' (1kg vs 2kg for the tent / fly sheet / groundsheet) but it was 'not for me'.

A tent feels a more 'secure' environment.

You need a groundsheet, or something below you anyway so there is a little extra weight. I purchased a hammock to try that, it didn't help and I just didn't get on with that.

I tried making the tarp into 'tent configurations' but then there is the condensation problems.

My personal feelings are that its got to be a tent / fly Sheet / ground sheet, with a mattress, - gone are my days of sleeping on the tarmac under an aircraft wing, hedge bottoms, or under a tarpaulin.

(Other opinions are available.)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:13:25, 19/07/18 »
(Other opinions are available.)

;D

I'm with you on this one too Alan. I prefer a tent.
Hate will never win

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:22:26, 19/07/18 »
Nope my mind is made up. I am going to have a go outdoors whilst the weather is good. I have tent I can fall back oin on future trips but it would be a shame not to try evrything at least once, unless it involves pain inthe extreme degree.
I already have a bivvi Alan, else I wouldn't be wanting to bivvi. I am from rural North Northumberland, where anyone south of the Coquet is a southerner, so I understand midgies.  The tarp is just there to be, well, just in case it should rain then my pack will be dry as well as my uncovered face, as it pokes out the bivvi during my restful sleep. In this weather I'll probably end up sleeping on the ground-mat with just my poncho over me.

As for making one to suit me, I'm not afraid of the sewing machine. I can put it out on the table for my wife  as well as anyone. She has already completely remade a tent for me, adjusted a poncho to fit better  etc.
Thanks for all the advice, as an experiment I'm just going to go for a real cheap tarp from amazon, in this instance. If I like it I may well be deciding between Alpkit and DD or buying the material and making exactly what I want.
Too little, too late, too bad......

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:09:02, 19/07/18 »
I've bivvied a few times in the dim and distant past - never bothered with a tarp.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy