Author Topic: Recommend me some good trails please :)  (Read 5832 times)

AdamJL

Recommend me some good trails please :)
« on: 13:26:45, 25/02/07 »
Hello all :)

First post here.

My girlfriend and a friend of mine are thinking of doing a walk/trek in North Wales in April.

We are all new to hiking, so have no idea about where to go? We are all in good shape, and are definitely up for a challenge. We're looking for a three or four day hike and camping at night on the trail.

Does anyone have any information about a good trail that will suit these criteria?

Thank you :)
Adam

Snowman

Re: Recommend me some good trails please :)
« Reply #1 on: 15:39:59, 26/02/07 »
You could try the Rhinogs section of the Cambrian Way (guide book by Tony Drake), especially if you like to walk without hordes of people.    If you start at Barmouth and head towards Snowdon, you can stay in the mountains for several days although there are a number of 'get out' points if you get fed up with the weather or hit a problem.

Don't underestimate the Rhinogs though.   It's not too bad to start with after you leave Barmouth, but it does get tougher, and the distances you thought you could cover in a day start to look a bit optimistic.   I've been there so this is from experience.

S.

AdamJL

« Reply #2 on: 09:45:43, 02/03/07 »
Thank you Snowman :) I'll check that out. I hope my local Books etc has a copy of that guide-book.

Is camping allowed as well? I've heard lots of places in the UK require you to camp in dedicated camping spots. I'm quite unfamiliar with this, as in Australia, lots of places don't bother with this? I'd prefer to set up camp when and where the situation requires it.

Snowman

« Reply #3 on: 09:38:56, 03/03/07 »
Hi AdamJL.

If you go to Amazon.co.uk, they do it (just search for Tony Drake), but their current expectation is 4 to 6 week delivery so if you're intending to do this in April you need to order asap.    If you have problems, you can work out a reasonable route if you have the OS maps, my preference is for 1:25,000.   If you start at Barmouth and head for Maentwrog via the obvious mountain areas and Cym Bychan, you can then continue north towards Snowdon.   I would say that 3 nights out will get you to the Youth Hostel at Plas Gwynant, a good stopping point before taking on Snowdon.

If you've got the time/inclination you could then continue over Snowdon to Pen-y-pass, over the Glyders to Ogwen, and finally the Carneddau to the coast.

Regarding wild camping, the situation in the UK, no, England and Wales (because I believe Scotland is different) is that all land is owned by someone, so technically you need the owner's permission to camp.    There are 'official' camp sites along the route, but as you say, it's better to lay down wherever is convenient.    For example the first campsite is at a place called Cym Bychan (it's where the photograph on the front of the guide was taken), but taking the terrain into consideration, this is a bit far for a day if you want to take in the scenery and have a pleasant day's walk rather than a hell for leather rush.

But unofficially, provided you are unobtrusive and ensure your camp site is clean when you leave, it is unusual for anyone to get too upset if you sleep the night in the mountains.

By the way, you will need to take a water filter, because although there is plenty of water about, it is dangerous to drink it unfiltered.

All the best on your walk, S.
« Last Edit: 09:43:37, 03/03/07 by Snowman »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy