Author Topic: Its a coastal thing! - covesea cove, moray  (Read 1012 times)

troy

Its a coastal thing! - covesea cove, moray
« on: 12:59:07, 06/01/12 »
Ok this is not a route report as such but after I had kicked the kids out the door to school I realized that it was still darkish, and there was neither rain nor wind – triple bonus giving the onslaught we have been having recently. So I thought why not visit the local beach with the dog, you know away from the usual poo filled field I take her (not from her I add) where perhaps I could play with my new camera (aha now get to the gritty reason for this post).

Apart from the visually fantastic scenes, which the soft flowing curves of snow can portray on the ugliest of scenes during winter, I do love venturing forth wherever during sunrises and sunsets. Those two illustrious periods of the day when light and colour can sparkle with awe-inspiring fusion across the folds of land and swathes of water.

The place I ventured to is called Clashach cove or though some call it Covesea cove such as me – it is part of a wondrous stretch of coastline here in Moray running from Burghead to Lossie where the cold merciless sea’s of the north crash continuously upon stark, sharp and rugged cliffs and rock that border land and sea. Cove sea cove is not too large but protected by two huge clumps of rock which thrust out to sea that concentrate incoming waves allowing them to crash with jarring force upon them producing fantastic sprays of water that I have seen rocket into the sky and drench the land – the image of when such a burst drenched my wife still brings a smile!!!

Luckily for me, the tide was in meaning that I got to see plenty of these crashing waves over the rocks and upon the sand and for the fleetest of moments the sun was just coming up into the world, so I was able to have the shutter speed quite low in order to capture the movement of the water. If you have ND filters and such (unlike poor old me) then you wouldn’t of had to race around to certain pre-known locations before the light got to bright. But not to worry, I guess the running keeps me fit and the dog – and perhaps it will decrease this extra belly I seemed to have grown over xmas.

Then again, this is the coast with the sounds of the sea, the waft of salt in the air and seagulls gliding overhead – it is peaceful and soothing, it’s relaxing and……Oh damn I got my feet wet. That is what I get for setting up on the sand spending too much time looking through the viewfinder, should be sensible like the dog and stay on the grass!!

As the sun managed to crawl over the horizon, it did cast bright oranges (the colour, not the fruit) onto some of the outcrops along the shore, which appeared like torn ragged backs of dinosaurs, arced above the frothy sea. I did try my best to capture these; perhaps with one either side of the frame as they descended into open sea like a good abstract picture would have with the shutter speed set low to help the water appear like mist. However, the light and the difference between the bright sky and dark rock’s was against me and left for home wondering just how I could sweet talk the wife into getting those filters I need and a decent tripod that is not as shaky as an 120 year old negotiating Crib Goch.

One thing I did learn – if you plan to take your camera to the coast, watch out for salt spray as it could destroy it or as I did, you may have to get soaked while sheltering it. Another sort of warning is regarding tides, when the tide is out along this coast you can just walk all the way along the shore line but equally due to many small and large cowes along it with high cliffed sides, when the tide is in you can get trapped.

taken just after a foot soaking.

a swirling pool - should of framed it lower - next time.

a line of waves

thought I'd be clever and capture the shine on the rocks here - maybe next time!

wider perspective of the photo above

well I got one of the dinsaurs backs.

http://blog.mtn-m.co.uk/
Last night while I laid starring at the stars, I wondered.....where the hell is my ceiling!!!!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: Its a coastal thing! - covesea cove, moray
« Reply #1 on: 13:34:36, 06/01/12 »
I really enjoyed reading about your morning, thanks Troy  O0   It's great to have some lovely piccies to look at while eating lunch too!

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy