Author Topic: Barra to Eriskay, June 8th  (Read 927 times)

docpaul

• Veteran Member
Barra to Eriskay, June 8th
« on: 21:11:04, 22/06/10 »
Here's the Hebridean saga part 2 - leaving Barra (slightly reluctantly - for the rest of the trip it was fondly remembered as "Our Barra")

The ferry to Eriskay departs from the northern part of Barra, and is a pretty informal affair. Delightful experience all round.

Arriving at the ferry "terminal" the coast was looking as good as ever.

Not a massive boat, not exactly a busy crossing.

Leaving "Our Barra" behind us, we pressed boldly on to the new experiences ahead.

Just by the ferry dock on Eriskay is a lovely white strand of sand, of obvious historical significance!

We lost no time in climbing the highest (indeed, only!) summit on Eriskay, Beinn Sciathan, at 185m a tough climb indeed, but a very very beautiful one.
This is the view to Eriskay village, including the causeway which now links the island with South Uist.

It was pretty windy up there - often is in the Hebrides  ;)  - but the views included the Cuillin of both Rum (right) and Skye (left)

The people of the southern islands are Roman Catholic and it shows in many places

Eriskay's other claim to fame is a shipwreck involving the steamship "The Politician" and its cargo of Whisky - immortalised in the book and subsequent film "Whisky Galore" .... and these, ladies and gents, are some of the bottles from the original wreck! Still kept on a holy shelf in the local pub, "Am Politicean" which serves a mean fish and chip lunch. The brown bottle is said to contain the original Liquid Gold to boot!!

The ferry leaves the "terminal" to return to our Barra.

Next stop, across the causeway to South Uist!

Paul

Courage doesn’t always come in a loud roar.
Sometimes courage comes as a small voice at the end of the day saying,
“I’ll try again tomorrow.”

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: Barra to Eriskay, June 8th
« Reply #1 on: 08:00:12, 23/06/10 »
Beautiful photos Paul  O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Hillbillymike

« Reply #2 on: 00:42:23, 27/06/10 »
Looks like you had a bit of an Eriskay adventure there! O0
Love the photos keep em coming
I’m NOT a complete NUT as bits of me are missing!

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 01:08:14, 27/06/10 »
Wow those photos were gorgeous, it could have been a Greek island with all the blues!!  O0 O0 O0
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: 02:18:17, 30/06/10 »
Photos are brilliant mate yet again, a place I have never been to cheers for sharing with us  O0
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy