Author Topic: Wester Ross advice?  (Read 927 times)

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
Wester Ross advice?
« on: 13:35:10, 04/07/10 »
Hi folks,

Thought it was worth asking on here as I know there are a few Scotland experts around.I am looking to book a weeks holiday the week after next and feel like going on  an adventure :) .Whilst searching for cottages some absolutely stunning ones came up around Wester Ross, mostly around Gairloch and it looks amazing, all white sand beaches and mountains.

I just wondered if anyone has been there and if its as wonderful as it looks?Are the roads ok(I realise it must be fairly remote) and how far away are shops/supplies/petrol stations etc.I shall be with my 12 year old son and whilst we obviously don't want to be scaling death defying ridges would like some easier walks...are there such walks because I would be happy just to be amongst the mountains as a pose to on top of them and I take it there are plenty of coastal walks?

Any help appreciated thanks O0

Dizzy

ptarmigan

Re: Wester Ross advice?
« Reply #1 on: 13:57:20, 04/07/10 »
Wester Ross is lovely Dizzy, there is a variety of walking both high and low to enjoy.  From Gairloch the road is not bad to Inverness for the big shops but it's about a 2 hour drive.  The area around Loch Marie is lovely, you're not too far from Torridon although a fare drive, also some good opportunities for wild camping in the Fowerdale forest area.

I'm sure you would have a great time! Wish I was joining you O0
“The things you do for yourself are gone when you are gone, but the things you do for others remain as your legacy.”
― Kalu Kalu

Ian s

• Veteran Member
Re: Wester Ross advice?
« Reply #2 on: 16:27:58, 06/07/10 »
there are  shops and a garage in Gairloch and more in Ullapool, but as Ptarmigan mentions it's probably best to fill the car up with fuel in Inverness if you're going that way as it's more pricey here on the west coast. the inverness- gairloch road is fine, hardly any single track, recently upgraded and pretty quick. elsewhere allow a little time but the roads in general are fine, just a bit winding.

Plenty of walking for all ages and abilities within striking distance of Gairloch. Torridon is not that far and it's a compulsory visit if you've not been before :)
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy