Author Topic: Gear inadvertently good for hiking  (Read 3017 times)

Ronin83

Gear inadvertently good for hiking
« on: 12:06:06, 13/01/19 »
So, bit of a weird one.
Does anyone have gear they've found to be good for hiking, but which wasn't necessarily made for it.

To start off....

I have some kalenji(decathlon) cheapo semi trail runners which were brilliant for rambling this summer just gone. It was so dry and hot for so long and I couldn't possibly have worn much more without my feet being on fire. Rambling in summer, I go for trainers any day over boots.

Another is a rugby world cup 2015 fleece. I got it free and brand new from someone who worked for the world cup. ItsImade by musto which is apparently quite a good sailing clothes company. It's really nice and soft, feels good quality, just doesn't look the coolest.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Gear inadvertently good for hiking
« Reply #1 on: 12:23:50, 13/01/19 »
Tesco thermal socks - 3 pack.

Ron Hill Tracksters. Great for keeping out the ticks in summer, and for under the fibre pile salopettes in winter conditions.

Robinsons 1 litre plastic squash bottles for carrying water. They fit nicely in my daysack side pockets.

A plastic spoon for wild camping. Tough, nice and light, and I have a bag full from somewhere.
« Last Edit: 12:27:57, 13/01/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:26:00, 13/01/19 »
+1 for the Ron Hill Tracksters.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:31:34, 13/01/19 »
The first thing I thought of was plastic bags.....

Helly Hansen baselayers from Screwfix of all places, as suggested by someone on here  a year or so ago. Only £15 each and half the weight of my previous thermals, they have proved to be quite adequate.

Disposable cigarette lighters for stove lighting.

The tiny tubes of airline toothpaste my wife brings home from her travels.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:39:58, 13/01/19 »

The tiny tubes of airline toothpaste my wife brings home from her travels.

My dentist gives them away free, their great.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:47:54, 13/01/19 »
So does mine, but for a gramme counter the airline ones are less than half that size.
They're given out on overnight flights, for single use, but if used sparingly they're enough for 3 or 4 morning brushings on a multiple-day hike.

Edit: Just checked with the OH, she says when you board there is a folded blanket on your seat with a plastic bag or a pouch on top of it, and this contains the aforesaid toothpaste, a two-piece travel toothbrush, eyeshades, earplugs and flight socks. So, there are some useful things there!
« Last Edit: 17:08:57, 13/01/19 by fernman »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:27:12, 13/01/19 »

Yes, we have a bag full of past sell by date mini tubes of toothpaste that were for giving out to primary school children.

And I have a two part clip together toothbrush in mini plastic case from a hotel in Hanoi that I visited on a business trip 22 years ago - just the thing for wild camping.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:47:26, 13/01/19 »
Before I got properly back into walking I had no boots so in the winter I would wear my surfing socks with training shoes in wet or snowy conditions.  Used to work really well and keep my feet warm dry and comfy, but the trainer's didn't last to long due to being soaked through all the time.

Ronin83

« Reply #8 on: 19:26:05, 13/01/19 »
Before I got properly back into walking I had no boots so in the winter I would wear my surfing socks with training shoes in wet or snowy conditions.  Used to work really well and keep my feet warm dry and comfy, but the trainer's didn't last to long due to being soaked through all the time.

What are surfing socks? Aren't they made of wetsuit material?

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:44:38, 13/01/19 »

Army leather Jerkin.

Sleeveless, leather front, 'mesh / ventilated' back.

I bought 30 of these at an auction and SWMBO sold them on ebay at £10 a time.
I thought I'd keep a couple back for myself.

I walk 'very warm' and even at temperatures of 5 or 6 Degrees C I walk in a T-Shirt with a very thin Jumper but just recently with the very, very strong winds we have been having I have found that my chest is getting chilled, but I do not want a thicker jumper or coat as I'd be far too hot.

Tried the Leather Jerkin "EXCELLENT" results.
The mesh back is allowing ventilation between my back and pack.
The armless 'arm-holes give good pit-ventilation and,
The leather front is superbly wind-proof.

« Last Edit: 21:30:12, 13/01/19 by alan de enfield »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:40:41, 13/01/19 »

What are surfing socks? Aren't they made of wetsuit material?

Yup.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:52:35, 14/01/19 »
Also, a decent tough plastic whistle salvaged from an unserviceable lifejacket.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:50:16, 14/01/19 »
I use a 6` x 6`blue polypropylene tarpaulin, which can be folded up and is very low weight, for placing my small foam mat on & also placing my bag on etc when having a rest stop.I initially bought them for use around the garden and for work. For a long time I used just a black bin liner with the foam mat to sit on.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:56:04, 14/01/19 »
Ronhill tracksuit bottoms - the kind your PE teacher always used to wear. I bough mine about a size too small as they were about 40% the price and have used them during cold weather for about the last three years in place of the made-for-it hiking tights that I got for Christmas. The tracky bottoms are about the same weight, are warmer and seem to dry better when wet but were a fraction of the cost - They fit perfect under a pair of hiking trousers!!

Roy
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:11:22, 14/01/19 »
Ronhill tracksuit bottoms - the kind your PE teacher always used to wear. I bough mine about a size too small as they were about 40% the price and have used them during cold weather for about the last three years in place of the made-for-it hiking tights that I got for Christmas. The tracky bottoms are about the same weight, are warmer and seem to dry better when wet but were a fraction of the cost - They fit perfect under a pair of hiking trousers!!
Roy

Visions of Max Wall come to mind  :) (Do an image search if his name isn't familiar to you.)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy