Author Topic: Flickr  (Read 3231 times)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Flickr
« on: 10:48:25, 02/11/18 »
I hear if u are a free member of flickr, from next year you can only have 1000 pics, or start paying.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Flickr
« Reply #1 on: 12:05:27, 02/11/18 »
When it changed hands a few months ago I did wonder when this would happen. I hope it isn't too expensive  :(
Hate will never win

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:14:29, 02/11/18 »
$49.99-per-year (no mention of what that will be in £££) Flickr is also offering a 30 percent discount off of the first year of Flickr Pro through November 30th.

More can be read at.... https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/1/18051950/flickr-1000-photo-limit-free-accounts-changes-pro-subscription-smugmug
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:28:25, 02/11/18 »
Thanks Bricam  :)

I've just logged into my account and this news is on there too. I have almost 5,000 pics on there so I will have to pay if I want my trip reports to keep the pics. I always save all my pics to disc too so I won't lose the pics. I think I might have to bite the bullet and pay for it, I look back at my flickr albums for info now and again.

Just did a google of what $49.99 would be in £. £38.47. If you sign up before the end of Nov you get 30% off this amount so I make it £26.93 for a year. That isn't too bad.
« Last Edit: 12:45:43, 02/11/18 by April »
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:37:07, 02/11/18 »
More than I am paying! Am just short of 1000 pics........................think I know a way round it  ;)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:20:14, 02/11/18 »
This sort of thing happens all the time with free cloud services, they are never a good idea. You are totally at their mercy, as many people found recently with another free photo host.

...£38.47. If you sign up before the end of Nov you get 30% off this amount so I make it £26.93 for a year. That isn't too bad.

You could get your own domain and web hosting for a little more than that. You would have your own website and total control over it.
If you want a blog style site, webhost providers now typically offer Wordpress-style hosting directly, a platform with a choice of photo slideshow plugins.
Edit: minor clarification of terminology
« Last Edit: 17:29:17, 02/11/18 by vghikers »

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:52:18, 06/11/18 »
They have emailed me to tell me the limit will soon be 1000 pics  :(

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:22:07, 06/11/18 »
You could get your own domain and web hosting for a little more than that. You would have your own website and total control over it.

I've looked at that before but struggled a bit, I'm technologically challenged  ;D

I have a few weeks to decide what to do, I might have another look at having my own website. If I do go down this route I will lose 3/4 of my trip reports on this forum and on my flcikr account  :(
Hate will never win

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:43:52, 06/11/18 »
Excuse me for being dense, but is it not possible to download your photos back to your PC?

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:48:49, 06/11/18 »
Excuse me for being dense, but is it not possible to download your photos back to your PC?

Yes it is.
What April's referring to is her Trip reports. The pictures within them aren't actually in the report. They're 'linked' to her pics in Flickr. If they get deleted in Flickr, they'll disappear from the reports too.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:57:08, 06/11/18 »
I have a few weeks to decide what to do, I might have another look at having my own website. If I do go down this route I will lose 3/4 of my trip reports on this forum and on my flcikr account  :(

EDIT: I left this here because I wrote it and bricam2096 replied but you might as well skip it because as bricam2096 pointed out below, you can't modify posts on here after a while!

Do you know any coders? When I was working as a coder I could have knocked you up a script that would alter your trip reports on the forum, download from your flickr and save your flickr photo descriptions to your new host in an hour or so. Sadly I've not written any code in the past 8 years and don't remember any languages anymore! If you're friends with a coder though they could probably do this for you it shouldn't take very long, it's a simple script. There used to be a site called RentACoder where you could hire coders cheaply to make things like this for you (some coders in foreign countries were happy to work for a few quid an hour) but it appears they have been acquired by these folks and I've no idea how good they are now for personal projects. You could try posting it as a job but you'd need to give your forum, flickr and new host passwords to a stranger unless you specified that they make it run on your machine as part of the project, but that could put the price up.

Having said all that, you could just keep your Flickr account and not worry about having to set up your own host! I used to be a systems administrator as well as a coder and I personally chose to use Flickr for the sake of simplicity.
« Last Edit: 22:13:00, 06/11/18 by Rob Goes Walking »

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:04:42, 06/11/18 »
I guess the problem would be that on her trip reports, she's linking to flickr photos and the trip report on here can't be changed so they will always point to the flickr site.  :(
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:07:50, 06/11/18 »
I guess the problem would be that on her trip reports, she's linking to flickr photos and the trip report on here can't be changed so they will always point to the flickr site.  :(

Oh right, I forgot you couldn't modify your posts after a while on here. Doh!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:45:03, 07/11/18 »
is it not possible to download your photos back to your PC?

I already have all my pics saved on disc, I do this as well as saving them to flickr. As Hillhiker1 and Bricam mention it is the trip reports on here that will lose their pics if I don't subscribe to Flickrpro.

you could just keep your Flickr account and not worry about having to set up your own host! I used to be a systems administrator as well as a coder and I personally chose to use Flickr for the sake of simplicity.

I think I will be paying the sub for flickr, it is the easiest option and it means the trip reports on here will remain as they are. Thanks for the advice on the tech stuff though  :)
Hate will never win

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:49:51, 07/11/18 »
The good news: From January you won't need a Yahoo account for Flickr. I bet that'll be a relief for some people!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy