Author Topic: Tilberthwaite fells Wednesday 9th Feb.  (Read 3920 times)

Micky

• Veteran Member
Tilberthwaite fells Wednesday 9th Feb.
« on: 16:00:39, 14/02/11 »
It was posted in the meets section by Ramblingpete and I thought I will have a go at that one as it's an area I haven't done for a very long time. So I contacted Pete who very kindly offered to put me up the previous night in castle Rambling. So I drove up to Manchester and the weather was gorgeous on route and I was thinking "it's going to be a great day tomorrow with fantastic views".

So I arrived at Castle Rambling and the consuming of a few bears took place. After a good nights sleep Mrs RP made us some bacon sarnies (very nice they were too thanks Helen). After breakfast we set off in weather that could be described as moist (it was hammering it down) anyway undeterred we arrived at Tilberthwaite near the disused quarry.

The planed route was Wetherlam, up the prison band to Swirl How across to Grey Friar, back to Great Carrs then back down the ridge via Little Carrs and Hell Gill Pike to Greenburn Beck.

Time to don the waterproofs that were to stay on all day long. Here's Pete getting ready with a smile on his face.

We walked up the side of Yewdale Beck which was in full force and excellent to see and hear.

The water was pouring off the hills in all directions, apart from up of course.

This was our path off to the right onto wetherlam ridge and the summit.

Pete on the ridge texting the weather gods I think, for the rain to stop and some views to see.

The very misty summit. At this stage I think the weather gods must have got Pete's text because the rain eased off a bit.

Unfortunately the wind and low cloud was still with us and despite using a GPS we had great difficulty finding our way off Wetherlam, but we did eventually. It all adds to the fun though.

I think this is looking up towards Swirl How from the Prison Band.

From Swirl How we headed across to Grey Friar passing the wreck of LL505 a Halifax bomber that crashed in 1944 with 8 crew members loosing their lives. This was quite a eary and sad place because of the low cloud and the fact the wind was much calmer here.

The summit of Grey Friar.

Then it was back to retrace our steps to Great Carrs and down the beautiful ridge to to valley bottom and Greenburn Beck.

One man and his camera.

The way down the ridge.

looking back to where we were earlier in the day, but couldn't see when we were there. At least we were getting some views now.

The valley floor from the ridge.

Eventually reaching Greenburn Beck and the little footbridge we had to cross.

The beck was a great sight and sound with all the water in it.

It was a fairly gentle but long walk back to the car from here.

With 11.3 miles and what we calculated to be around 3650 feet of accent (it seemed like a lot more though) we had a great day and some great views when the clouds lifted long enough to see.

Of course we had to stop for the obligatory pint, this time in the Eagle and Child at Staveley. A nice pint in front of a roaring fire, a really nice way to end a great day on the hills in great company.

Pete and myself have promised ourselves to do this walk again in good weather so we can see what wee missed out on.
Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

PistonPete

• Veteran Member
Re: Tilberthwaite fells Wednesday 9th Feb.
« Reply #1 on: 16:08:29, 14/02/11 »
Excellent  O0
Walk

mad max

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:57:32, 14/02/11 »
Good effort boys. O0 .Was Howie with you ?
Freeman of Tryfan.
Welsh Nuttalls completer.
I am a troll,beware.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:00:26, 14/02/11 »
It's a really good walk this one. One of my favourite peaks Swirl How  O0 Thanks for sharing the day and your pictures with us  O0

wanderingchas

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:29:01, 14/02/11 »
Great TR and photos  O0
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

docpaul

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:12:13, 14/02/11 »
Fab place - great report and bottle to go up on such a day!! Love the brimming streams!  O0
Courage doesn’t always come in a loud roar.
Sometimes courage comes as a small voice at the end of the day saying,
“I’ll try again tomorrow.”

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:47:45, 14/02/11 »
The gushing water looks amazing, shame you have to put up with the bad weather to get it though.  Seems like you both had a great time anyway O0

Micky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:04:13, 15/02/11 »
Good effort boys. O0 .Was Howie with you ?

He was there in spirit because some of his reletives were flying around while we luncheoned.  ;D

Thanks for the nice comments folks, it was a cracking day despite the poor weather.
Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:23:18, 15/02/11 »
Nice photos & report Micky.  Glad you both had a good day  O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:02:52, 15/02/11 »
Ta for the TR Micky - I've been busy this week so I'll post a few pics tomorrow or Thursday.

Champion day out and ta for the pint  O0

ScreeScaredy

« Reply #10 on: 19:25:15, 15/02/11 »
Pete - notice you've got a Lowe Alpine rucksack - I've just bought the BF one - it arrived yesterday - we'd read quite a few reviews on here and elsewhere on the web.

How is the raincover on it? I've read somewhere that in "proper" rain it doesn't do too well - it looks pretty wet on these pics - so how did the contents fare?

Cheers

Tryfan75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:25:38, 15/02/11 »
Great TR Micky.  Looks great even in the rather soggy conditions you had. O0

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:23:10, 16/02/11 »
Pete - notice you've got a Lowe Alpine rucksack - I've just bought the BF one - it arrived yesterday - we'd read quite a few reviews on here and elsewhere on the web.

How is the raincover on it? I've read somewhere that in "proper" rain it doesn't do too well - it looks pretty wet on these pics - so how did the contents fare?

It was fine - a little damp at the very bottom due to me resting it on the ground now and again, but mostly dry despite the heavy rain and wind. I think in the worse conditions most bags would get a little moist due to water running down the back between body and bag. I'm very happy with it even though it's a little heavy for a day bag - it fits a lot in. O0

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:26:40, 16/02/11 »
Here's a few soggy ones from me..

A nice quarry at the start

looking back over to Wetherlam from the Prison Band

Micky having a nip of a lovely single malt Old Something or Other?

On the way down from Great Carrs

A wet Wetside Edge

Still moist

We were happy to see the bridge over this lot.

Back to visit here when the weather improves O0

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:44:01, 16/02/11 »
I've got a confession to make.  I wasn't working, but I couldn't face the
weather.

I'll try now to get back up to Dibfitness. 

Only just getting my eating back on track, weakling me.

All power to you, for doing that walk on a day like it was.   ;)

Pete and myself have promised ourselves to do this walk again in good weather so we can see what wee missed out on.
Hoping, if it's poss, to be able to join you on a much better day.  O0
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy