Author Topic: Loughrigg above Grasmere  (Read 3848 times)

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Loughrigg above Grasmere
« on: 21:10:28, 18/01/12 »
It's been a long time since I walked up here, but it's not changed. If Loughrigg was human it would have a big fat bum - not very high but quite wide. Last time here I had a film camera, so I needed to do this again for the website - a good excuse eh.
I stayed up at the Masons Arms at Strawberry Bank south of Windermere - a good deal at £99 DBB for 2. There's another offer in March O0

Loughrigg is very popular for walks along the terrace as it's easily accessible from Ambleside and Grasmere, and being a Sunday it was fairly popular with
families. We walked from Rydal around past the old quarry caves, along the terrace and up a short steep pull to the trig point. After that it was a wander down and around back to Rydal. It was about 7 miles and there was an ice cream van at Pelter Bridge to finish the walk.

« Last Edit: 05:53:20, 13/11/12 by ramblingpete »

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
Re: Loughrigg above Grasmere
« Reply #1 on: 21:13:48, 18/01/12 »
Great photos there Pete of a cracking area of The Lakes. Especially love the stepping stones one! Thanks for posting  O0

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

Micky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:20:15, 18/01/12 »
Glorious Peter, it's one of Mrs Mickys favorite walks because it's not to strenious. We do it every time we go to the Lakes. Some great pictures too mate. O0
Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:02:02, 18/01/12 »
Some great pictures there.

Loughrigg is one that I've always intended to take a wander around as everyone says it's a great little walki, but when I look at a map it seems fairly confusing with lots of paths.

You don't have a gpx or mmo file of this route do you?
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:43:59, 18/01/12 »
Cracking photo's there Pete  O0

chunky walker

« Reply #5 on: 22:59:22, 18/01/12 »
Great pics brings back memories  O0
To say its a small fell it seems to go on and on from Grasmere
Mind I had an extra  2 stone on my back last time I climbed it  :D ;D

bigjonny

« Reply #6 on: 23:06:43, 18/01/12 »
Some great pictures! I love this part of the lakes. Especially like the photo of the cave, and the one of the 'layers' of ice.....We did the Fairfield horseshoe on Sunday, and if you squint hard enough at the 3rd shot, I'm sure you can see me waving from the top of Nab Scar  ;D  Just as an aside, does the Masons Arms still boast the biggest selection of ales in the country? ???
Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
Bob Dylan

Sharpedgehatter

« Reply #7 on: 09:02:51, 19/01/12 »
Great pictures - what a fantastic shot of the cave, the water is truly crystal clear. Thanks for sharing. :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:41:05, 19/01/12 »
Great photos, the one with the rings of ice is amazing.

Loughrigg is one that I've always intended to take a wander around as everyone says it's a great little walki, but when I look at a map it seems fairly confusing with lots of paths.

You don't have a gpx or mmo file of this route do you?
Dazza
It is much more confusing on the map than it is in real life. In good visibility you should have no problems.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:20:09, 19/01/12 »

It is much more confusing on the map than it is in real life. In good visibility you should have no problems.

Dazza there are loads of paths up on the top, so you would need to take care on which direction you are headed even in good visibility.
Around the base is straightforward enough, it's up on the top that you can easily get distracted and temporarily misplaced.

I've attached a gpx track of the route taken O0

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:22:25, 19/01/12 »
I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. I appreciate your comments O0

Big Johny - I did the Fairfield Horeshoe on Monday in great conditions - nice and quiet as well. The Masons Arms did have a fair few beers, but I don't know about the biggest selection  I was too thirsty to notice to be honest.

...and Sunday was frozen ground with plenty of ice patches - I remember it being quite moist when I was up here in the summer
« Last Edit: 12:26:11, 19/01/12 by ramblingpete »

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:32:55, 19/01/12 »
Nice shot - that squarey ice one is good!
Check out SLP Photography Derbyshire Wedding Photographer

bigjonny

« Reply #12 on: 20:11:21, 19/01/12 »

Big Johny - I did the Fairfield Horeshoe on Monday in great conditions - nice and quiet as well.

It was like the Metro Centre on Sunday!  ;D
Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
Bob Dylan

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:12:18, 19/01/12 »
Dazza there are loads of paths up on the top, so you would need to take care on which direction you are headed even in good visibility.
Around the base is straightforward enough, it's up on the top that you can easily get distracted and temporarily misplaced.

I've attached a gpx track of the route taken O0

Thanks Pete.

A bit different to what I though you'd done, some times it is having too much choice that is the problem. Or as I call it, the "whats down there" syndrome.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:10:37, 20/01/12 »
Great piccies Pete. Love the stepping stones  O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy