Author Topic: TR Helvellyn from Swirral Edge and down Striding Edge Friday 6th Feb 2015  (Read 6774 times)

Rhino

• Veteran Member
For those who prefer just the pictures here is a link to them and a slideshow with some music
https://www.flickr.com/photos/38217037@N06/sets/72157650273215557/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JWlNGwsUcA

Started up the path from Glenridding that would take me past the youth hostel and up to Red Tarn and on to Swirral.

This is definitely a more gradual ascent than coming up Birkhouse Moor but does get steeper as you approach the foot of Catstye Cam. There was definitely a thaw going on along the route up and i started thinking if i was going to need my crampons but when i got on to the path going up Swirral i decided they were needed.

I couldn’t see Red Tarn for the clag or pretty much more than 100 yards but hoped it would clear at some point. I carried on up the path and got my first view proper of Swirral ridge.

What stood out here for me was that back in August when i descended Swirral up to Catstye Cam i noticed the path i was now stood on and it took you off the ridge early, far too early and the only way to enjoy the full ridge is to traverse it all the way up to Catstye Cam. I made a mental note that at some point i need to traverse from Catstye Cam up Swirral or do the entire round again from Striding.
I continued up the path for 100 yards or so which was good and icy but i wasn’t happy on the path and felt i was missing out on the ridge.

There wasn’t much ice and snow on the top of the ridge in places and i had told myself to stay safe and use the path, there was no wind and i was feeling confident and i couldn’t stay off it for long so up i went on to the top.

I tried to stay on top as much as i could for the rest of the short traverse but had to come back down to ice and snow where there was none as i didn’t want to damage the crampons.

I met a few people descending and everyone stopped for a chat and offered advice when i told them i was on my first winter ascent of the ridges. They all wished me well and i felt more confident the further i went. Took a shot of the fall off on one side which doesn’t take a lot to imagine the damage you could sustain if you slipped down and hit the rocks.

Best not be slipping today i told myself and i was glad i had worn my new helmet just in case even though i feel a tit wearing it but hopefully will be something I get used to. I was now getting to the final climb up and on some of the steps that had been cut in to the ice i could feel it starting to give way under foot. I took a bit more care ensuring i had good footing and a good grip of the axe.

On the last pull up i thought the sun was going to break through the clag and i was going to be rewarded with a fantastic summit view.

I pushed up the last bit a tad quicker hoping not to miss it

Got to the top and had a chat with a group just about to descend then took some pictures as i walked up to the trig point.

Yes its going to clear just for me, my reward for all the hard graft.

Camera in hand ready for it i stood at the trig point, took some selfies while i waited, kept looking around so as not to miss it. Waited about 10 minutes and then asked a nice chap to take my picture for me.

I then got my reward, more clag

I decided to have some lunch and found the cairn where i chatted with a lad from Scotland before heading down to the descent down Striding. On the way it looked like someone had come up the front of Helvellyn and over the cornice, i took a step closer and felt my foot go down about 6 inches even though i was about 2 meters away from the edge following footprints  i stayed a bit further over after that.
Finally got to the Gough memorial and i knew the exit down was close but it was hard to actually see it, there was disturbed snow everywhere so i trod carefully until i got near to the edge and i could see down. It didn’t look that bloody steep when i ascended it last.

I took it steady down, ready at all times for a slip or fall and finally made it to the bottom

As i approached the chimney a group were heading towards me and i just shot up it and climbed out the top and greated the group and chatted for a bit getting my breath back. I moved off and realized i hadn’t taken any pictures and just shot up so i took one looking back at the top.

In places there was far less snow and ice on Striding than on Swirral but I was now past caring about crampon damage and was traversing on the top of the ridge having a right good old scramble along it, seeking out ice where i could to stand on but hitting rock where there was none.

I was surprised at the grip the crampons gave on rock and felt more safe than i did in August so i just carried on enjoying every minute of being there and thought ill buy a new pair if i break them.
It was hard graft much harder than Swirral climbing up and down and i caught my gaiters a few times with the crampons and thought they will be knackered as well.

I was scrambling along nicely and a chap walked past on the path and said hello again, we had passed on Swirral earlier so we chatted before heading off. Everyone i met this day was chatty and so was i and it added to the enjoyment of the day that i hadn’t met any miserable people yet.
Reached High Spying How and i knew my fun was coming to an end

When i reached the Dixon memorial i gave serious thought to climbing up and jumping across but i decided this for sure would have done the crampons in when i landed so i climbed up the other side and headed off the ridge.

All good things must come to an end and i was there so i sat and had a pot of tea and chilled out a bit.

A few minutes later a group of young lads early twenties walked past with one of them wearing shorts. It was a bit warmer than of a late but i wouldn’t have been comfortable. I told him he was brave and he said he had warm legs.
I started my descent back to Glenridding via Birkhouse Moor and soon came across a walker who had just walked up to red Tarn. We ended up walking off together chatting all the way making a nice end to a nice day. At the hole in the wall i crossed paths with the lad from Scotland and we all had a good chat for 10 minutes before parting company. I cant recall any other day where so many people have stopped and chatted.

Parting shot of Ullswater

I got home and inspected the crampons expecting them to be knackered, apart from scratches on the teeth and the wearing  on the ends they are ok and so are the gaiters. They have obviously took some hammer and i would have preferred more snow and ice but i couldn’t get up any earlier in the week when conditions were better. Looking at pictures on the weatherline site from the weekend i just made it though and hope we get a bit more snow and i can time it better with both work and the conditions before spring starts.

Total distance was 8.27 miles and 3449ft of ascent over 6 hours and 3 minutes

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy the pictures and the write up  :)
« Last Edit: 06:50:41, 12/02/15 by Rhino »
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Yep, I enjoyed that thanks Rhino O0   Great photos too!

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
Brilliant write up rhino O0 You do know Beefy will want to do this in the snow now?  ;D Will you go and do it with him?  ;) So I don't have to  ;D Great pics, love your reports, a big well done for tackling this route it is something I have been too nervous of doing in full winter conditions.  O0
Hate will never win

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Well done Rhino, a testing day by the sound of it and the pictures. Well done  O0

Can't imagine wearing shorts in those conditions but each to their own.  ::)

Regards Keith

beefy

• Veteran Member
Brilliant write up rhino O0 You do know Beefy will want to do this in the snow now?  ;D Will you go and do it with him?  ;) So I don't have to  ;D Great pics, love your reports, a big well done for tackling this route it is something I have been too nervous of doing in full winter conditions.  O0
;D ;D ;D
great TR and pics Rhino, shame the clag didnt lift,
well done  O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

karl h

• Veteran Member
fantastic mate  O0    
What a great adventure
thanks for sharing O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Great pictures and report.

Definitely not for me though.

OneGirlandherDog

I really enjoyed reading this and look at the photos.  We've done Helvelyn but from the easy side (Thirlmere) so still aspire to do Swirrel and Striding Edge one day.

Best wishes. 

joester

• Veteran Member
Nice one squire.  Your enjoyment of the day comes across in your report.

You won't break crampons by treading on bare rock with them, but you will soon blunt them.
(They're probably not particularly blunt after one outing).
They can be sharpened with a file, but don't use any kind of power tool because the heat will spoil the tempering of the metal.

You look fine in your new helmet.  ;)
solvitur ambulando

Boothy

• Veteran Member
Good stuff, shame about all the clag - must have felt quite an achievement after all that
134/214

Rhino

• Veteran Member
Hi Tracey, thanks very much, the views are not as awe inspiring as they could have been if the clag had lifted but none the less they show off the ridges from another persepctive  :)

Hi April and thanks a lot for the comments, its always nice to hear such things from everyone  O0
You know you want to get on those ridges so stop pretending  :)  and i would hold Beef's hand anytime  ;D
I had wrote a bit of a introduction to this walk but left it out because i thought people would think it was a bit dramatic but essentially i was describing how i felt about it and how i got to the point where i felt confident to just go and do it. There is safety in numbers so if we get more snow or next year and you both fancy it i would jump at the opportunity to do it again  O0

Hi keith and thanks a lot mate  O0  I had forgot how much Striding makes you work when your on the top and your up and down, i had to sit and take a breather at the end of it  ;D  It wont stop me getting back on it at the ealiest opportunity though as its such a rewarding walk and scramble and if you get the views it just puts the cherry on the cake  O0

Hi Beefy and cheers, its always touch and go with the weather as you very well know and the days before were perfect and even the weekend was fantastic but i couldnt get up any sooner or later for other commitments. I was sat at work all week telling myself i should be in the Lakes and when i did i got the clag. It was still a very enjoyable day which ranks up on my top 3 of days out so far. I just need to win the lottery then i can move to the Lakes and pick my days as and when  ;D  fingers crossed.

Hi Karl, thanks pal, i am really having the adventure of my life and like some other forum members have started a love affair with the Lakes and have great effection for certain places with this being one of them. I always learn, see or experience something new every time. The hardest and most time consuming part is writing the TR so thanks to you and everyone for taking the time to read and look at the pictures and post feedback  O0

Hi Ridge and thanks mate O0
Never say never you never ever know  :)  Thats what i said just over 12 months ago. I understand though its not everyones cup of tea but i hope my report do give people some insight in to that this is a perfectly safe place and so enjoyable if you treat it with respect. If you ever fancy a go again i would join any forum meet or private get together for the opportunity to help other members do this walk O0

OneGirlandyourDog  ;D  great name by the way  ;D
Thanks for your comments  O0  I love every way ive got on to Helvellyn with there being something different and challenging about them all and ive so many more to try. It was my 5th time on the summit and the 2nd by way of the ridges so i am still learning myself but i do believe the best way to learn is to do and to experience and to know when to back down. At some point i will post a forum meet for the summer to do the ridge walks and will give plenty of notice so look out for it and decide if you fancy giving it a go. Having someone along goes half way to overcoming some of the doubts and fears which is why i asked my Son to do it with me for the first time  :)

Hi joester and cheers mate, i took another step closer to more challenging and greater experiences i have yet to have and already i am looking at indoor ice climbing centres  O0  Its very addictive thats for sure. Yeah they were still sharp but had scratches on them and will keep in mind the use of a file, i probably would have used my grinder  ;D  so thanks for the tip.
The helmet ummm thanks mate i am more comfortable wearing it and will become less self conscious  about it, it wouldnt have taken much to have a trip or slip and in places you could end up with a nasty head wound without one.

Hi Boothy and thanks pal  :)  i was very happy with myself and had a great weekend buzzing on the back of Friday, even at my mother in laws on Sunday she asked me if i was allright because i was smiling  ;D  You were right about the steepness of Striding, i hadnt really felt that on my first ascent up it but i sure did comeing down it  ???

« Last Edit: 12:18:12, 13/02/15 by Rhino »

OneGirlandherDog

Thanks for your reply Rhino, it's always good to hear other people's experiences and find out how they progressed from easy to harder and more challenging walks. 

We would definitely consider joining a ridge walk and Heidi-dog would do it easily, as long as she doesn't try to pull me over the edge (which is a possibility!!! :o )

I read all the new posts so will keep my eyes peeled - only trouble is with us (me and Gavin, the hubster) joining a walk is that everyone has to be sooooo patient as I'm probably the slowest walker you've ever met, and I'm not just saying that or joking!  but I always get there in the end. 

Best wishes. 

DrNytol

Awesome TR yet again Dave  O0
Glad you had a great time mate and got back in one piece, i bet it was a great experience  :)
114/214

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Well done on the entrance exam, great innit bet you are still buzzin.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
 O0 Hi Paula

On the group meets you walk at the slowest pace of the slowest walker but if you are really that slow ill sit in the bar and set off a couple of hours after you  ;D  Great blog btw

Thanks Paul and yes it was fantastic and has me chomping at the bit for more, looking outside now and seeing all the snow has gone i am glad i took the chance to do it this year but i hope there is some more snow and ice before spring sets in, ive another holiday day left waiting for just such an occasion. Where is your TR mate? it certainly looks like you had a fantastic day on the Sunday and your pictures were amazing and so says Kelly as well  8)  You need to show them to everyone  O0

Cheers mwm  O0  Yes to the buzzin, ive been smiling all week  :)  I am really enjoying these new experiences and although ive planned and got out more this winter than last year i still havent been out enough. Thats something i am going to be more prepared for next Winter but i cant complain as ive gained some valuable experience this past year and over the winter especially. The trouble is it has left me wanting more and pondering directions where i didnt think i would or was capable of going  ;)  Highly addictive it is
« Last Edit: 15:22:40, 13/02/15 by Rhino »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy