Author Topic: TR - 8th August - Eagle spotting Around Riggindale  (Read 4754 times)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - 8th August - Eagle spotting Around Riggindale
« Reply #15 on: 13:27:29, 06/10/15 »

Ok Karl was talking about this chippy the other week so i guess ive to got to give it a go as well  ;D
I was intrigued by watching one of the ladies prepare what I took to be cheesy chips (not for me I hasten to add):- a big tray of chips, with lots of grated cheese on top - which begins to melt from the heat of the chips. Then she poured gravy over the whole thing !  Not sure I would dare try that.

The accolade for best fish & chips (in the UK) is very subjective and we all have our favourites. These are the best I've had from around the Lakes at least.
Returning home we drove down the M6 and turned off for Kirby Stephen - heading for the A66 and felt quite smug passing their chippy which I mentioned previously.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:56:29, 06/10/15 »
Lovely, lovely, lovely. Great shot of the kestrel and red deer. You must have a good zoom lens.

I do love walking up on the High Street range and Mardale Head is a fantastic place to walk from.

A question - how do you reckon the scent via Kirsty Howes compares to the decent from Nan Bield Pass. I have done the latter 3 or 4 times and I find it a killer on my knees. Just wondering if Kidsty Howes might be easier...

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:55:01, 06/10/15 »
Lovely, lovely, lovely. Great shot of the kestrel and red deer. You must have a good zoom lens.
I do love walking up on the High Street range and Mardale Head is a fantastic place to walk from.

Thanks Sarah O0

A question - how do you reckon the scent via Kirsty Howes compares to the decent from Nan Bield Pass. I have done the latter 3 or 4 times and I find it a killer on my knees. Just wondering if Kidsty Howes might be easier...
I have never actually come down from Nan Bield so cant answer you question completely but Kidsty Howes is quite steep and in one place goes over a rocky step ( although I think there may be a diversion around ).
I actually prefered  the descent on the north side of Randale beck this was a series of grassy terraces which are much easier on the knees

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:03:10, 06/10/15 »
i loved looking at every photo well done
you have 1 life live it

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:09:01, 06/10/15 »
Thanks Karl.. My son descended via Kidsty Howes once and described it as pretty tough and long after a day out on the tops.  I hadn't spotted the path in Randale before so thanks for pointing g it out - on my OS map it stops partway up, the valley. So if using it to descend, I wonder where the starting point is - high raise?

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 22:16:25, 06/10/15 »

i loved looking at every photo well done
Cheers Gary O0

Thanks Karl.. My son descended via Kidsty Howes once and described it as pretty tough and long after a day out on the tops.  I hadn't spotted the path in Randale before so thanks for pointing g it out - on my OS map it stops partway up, the valley. So if using it to descend, I wonder where the starting point is - high raise?
We actually came down from Low Raise ( had been Birkett bagging  :)  )   But if you made sure to keep above the beck you could come direct from High Raise. The path we used isn't on the map but is quite clear on the ground. It passes Lady's Seat and Band End. Obviously this is a little further than coming down Kidsty Howes if you are parked at Mardale head.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 22:33:57, 06/10/15 »
I've nabbed the odd Birkett in my time (prob more than I've recorded) but not been to Low Raise. If the path is clear on the ground that's fine by me. Now that I know it's there, I'll def consider that route next time I head that way as my poor knees quake at the Nan Bield Pass route (and they are still complaining  after Ben Cruachan in August if I inflict a steep descent)

Great to find a new route in a fave area - cheers!

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 07:25:12, 07/10/15 »
Have not seen an eagle in the lakes for years, saw one on Garbh Bhein a couple of weeks ago twas a juvinile, magic stuff keep it coming.

safcpaul

« Reply #23 on: 21:09:06, 12/10/15 »
Yesterday whilst climbing kidsty pike . Was on the bit just before the final climb to top , when a very large bird circled / glided from behind the summit . From high street . Then disappeared as quick as it came back over high st behind the summit , done this twice then lost sight of it . Think it went down in the valley , never flapped its wings once but was still moving very fast . It was magic . Could hear a pin drop so quiet

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 20:28:24, 13/10/15 »
Yesterday whilst climbing kidsty pike . Was on the bit just before the final climb to top , when a very large bird circled / glided from behind the summit . From high street . Then disappeared as quick as it came back over high st behind the summit , done this twice then lost sight of it . Think it went down in the valley , never flapped its wings once but was still moving very fast . It was magic . Could hear a pin drop so quiet
Bet that was magic O0
I've never actually seen the eagle with the naked eye only through the telescope or camera :(

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy