Author Topic: 5 day Offa's Dyke Path.  (Read 2185 times)

Slogger

• Veteran Member
5 day Offa's Dyke Path.
« on: 16:11:55, 26/05/19 »
Got back last Thursday from completing my backpacking trip along the Offa's Dyke Path in 4 days 22 hours and 55 minutes.I walked it around 20 odd years ago, b&b, with a pal in 11days, but this time it was out of pure frustration due to hip etc problems, and a loss of confidence of being able to just go out and do what I like doing.I visited an Osteopath two days earlier, who confirmed that most of my problems were down to soft tissue damage rather than the mild Osteoarthritis that I had been diagnosed with earlier.With that I quickly arranged the trip simply to see if I do a fast trip, armed with Ibuprophen and Voltarol gel. If I couldn't do it, then I was preapred for that, but I needed to know, in the same manner that I did the Coast to Coast last september.Carrying a camping pack that started around 9kg and grew to around 12.5kg, I set off at 11am Saturday 18th May and arrived at the Offa's Dyke centre in Prestatynn at 9.55 Thursday 23rd May.Day 1.(half day) I camped on a site a few miles beyong Monmouth,Day2. I was forced to B&B day 2 due to sleep deprivation in Hay on Wye.Day 3. I wild camped 11 miles beyond Knighton.Day 4. A B&B again due to heat exhaustion in Llanymynech.Day 5/5.5 I put in a 20 hour non stop 60 miles from Llanymynech to Prestatynn, to get in just under the 5 days.It wasn't a walking holiday, simply a pure test. Walking hard all the way, the pace as far as beyond Monmouth was just over 3mph, a little too fast actually as my legs suffered big style after that effort along the hard section. I say hard section but in reality there are no easy sections on Offa's Dyke. Obviously easier if going slower and carrying less weight but the many steep ascents are still there no matter how you do it.By the end I was just glad it was over, I particularly enjoyed the last 60 miles, the first 117 miles I can't say I enjoyed, it was too painful and all the climbs had me gasping and taking many brief stops, bit by bit, to get up them.It's Sunday now and I am still shattered and with a very sore hip, maybe it's time to take things easier! :(

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: 5 day Offa's Dyke Path.
« Reply #1 on: 16:29:50, 26/05/19 »
Good though to know you've done it! Sometimes for me, a hard days hike can clear the cobwebs from the brain. I can never do more than one at a time though. I'm impressed!

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:01:27, 26/05/19 »
Great going Slogger - sounds way out of my league.   

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:35:34, 26/05/19 »
 Great effort.An MOT of sorts and thankfully you passed instead of being sent for scrap. ;)

Warbler

« Reply #4 on: 13:30:55, 27/05/19 »

Blimey!!!.....That puts my 80 miles in 5 days into perspective when I had to abandon earlier this month.

Great achievement.....well done  O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:50:34, 28/05/19 »
And well done from me too!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:49:53, 05/06/19 »
Blimey!!!.....That puts my 80 miles in 5 days into perspective when I had to abandon earlier this month.

Great achievement.....well done  O0
Thank you. Don't be too downhearted about abandonning your trip. The section after Knighton would have killed your Achilles off big time, so you did the right thing. Many others coming North - South, claimed it was easier that way. Hm, maybe next time.

Warbler

« Reply #7 on: 09:47:13, 07/06/19 »
Thank you. Don't be too downhearted about abandonning your trip. The section after Knighton would have killed your Achilles off big time, so you did the right thing. Many others coming North - South, claimed it was easier that way. Hm, maybe next time.

I'm actually more downhearted about not being able to walk more than a mile in the last four weeks than I am about the abandonment.
Slowly getting there though.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:47:23, 07/06/19 »

I'm actually more downhearted about not being able to walk more than a mile in the last four weeks than I am about the abandonment.
Slowly getting there though.
Unfortunately, recovery from an Achilles injury is long and slow, as I know from experience. It is tempting to try and push it, but that only seems to extend the rehabilitation time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy