Author Topic: Summer soltice  (Read 2279 times)

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Summer soltice
« Reply #15 on: 09:20:44, 17/06/20 »
Yes that was an interesting experience.  We were stood on a cliff top near Bolt Head Salcombe.  The silence of the animals was quite spooky and it's return most welcome.  The many small boats watching out to sea turning to shadowy specs of light was another thing that sits in the memory.
....and I was on Gammon Head with family who had travelled all the way form NW Scotland so the children could experience the full eclipse.

To return to the original solstice thread, the most memorable for me was at the Brough of Birsay in Orkney.

I would like to see the sun set over the sea then walk (not more than 10 miles) through the short night to see it rise again from the sea. Not so easy in the south of UK.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Summer solstice
« Reply #16 on: 10:50:42, 17/06/20 »
....and I was on Gammon Head with family who had travelled all the way form NW Scotland so the children could experience the full eclipse.

To return to the original solstice thread, the most memorable for me was at the Brough of Birsay in Orkney.

I would like to see the sun set over the sea then walk (not more than 10 miles) through the short night to see it rise again from the sea. Not so easy in the south of UK.

We could have waved to each other from there.

A walk around the Lizard might work I'm not sure of the exact direction of sun set and sun rise on the solstice though.

Edit:

A quick look at the map.  You could park up at Cadwith.  Then make your way across Lizard Downs, to Rill Point for Sun set.  From there walk the coast path back to the Devils Frying Pan for sunrise. 

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:23:44, 17/06/20 »
I'm not sure of the exact direction of sun set and sun rise on the solstice though.
rise is ENE, set is WNW.
Solstice this year us on the 20th at 22:43.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

GoneWest

« Reply #18 on: 11:27:15, 17/06/20 »
I'm not sure of the exact direction of sun set and sun rise on the solstice though.

Try this. It will give you the sun's azimuth (among many more things) for any moment at any place. The moments you want (sunrise and sunset) are shown for any particular day, so just plug in those times, in turn, to calculate. You have to use the popup sliders to alter the time..

https://www.suncalc.org/

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 11:30:05, 17/06/20 »
rise is ENE, set is WNW.
Solstice this year us on the 20th at 22:43.

Indeed more or less depending on where you are in the UK.  The reason for my asking was because around the Lizard it's touch and go as to weather the sun set sun rise or both would be over sea or land.  Hench exact bearings would be of more use.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 11:35:04, 17/06/20 »

Try this. It will give you the sun's azimuth (among many more things) for any moment at any place. The moments you want (sunrise and sunset) are shown for any particular day, so just plug in those times, in turn, to calculate. You have to use the popup sliders to alter the time..

https://www.suncalc.org/
Great site not seen that before.   O0

Alas it shows that sunset is across land from there. Sun rise would work though and the sun setting over Mounts bay should be a pretty decent view, there is a bit of sea in between.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 13:21:44, 17/06/20 »
We were making all sorts of plans, but alas it seems that a good Hebridean gale is set to go through on Saturday evening which hampers things a bit.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:54:42, 17/06/20 »
After 14 yrs in trying, i was rewarded in seeing the early morning sun, shine its rays through the centre of Bryn Celli Ddu passage tomb, on Anglesey, back in 2018.

There are only three burial chambers in the entire Uk, where this amazing spectacle happens.

Maes Howe on Orkney, Newgrange in County Meath, in Southern Ireland, and Bryn Celli Ddu here in North Wales.

It only takes the slightest bit of cloud cover, lasting less than 8minutes, at around 4.30am every Mid Summer morning, and the amazing light show will not happen, that's why it took 14 visits until i was rewarded with something pretty magical.

To think that 5000 years ago, they were switched on enough to calculate the exact time and date, to construct a passage grave to greet both the Summer and Winter Soltice.

Might even pay Bryn Celli a visit on the 21st, if this fine weather continues

RMR

« Reply #23 on: 11:08:20, 19/06/20 »
This year the Solstice falls on  20 June.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 11:10:31, 19/06/20 »
@22:43

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 09:07:32, 22/06/20 »
Well let's see if I can embed a video. No, unless anyone knows how to do it.
[not that it was a classic last night]
https://www.youtube.com/embed/QuCDL6_1NHo

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 12:58:17, 22/06/20 »
Well let's see if I can embed a video. No, unless anyone knows how to do it.
[not that it was a classic last night]
https://www.youtube.com/embed/QuCDL6_1NHo

At least the sun set was better than the surf looked.  ;)

Did you get sun rise this morning?

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 13:31:56, 22/06/20 »

At least the sun set was better than the surf looked.  ;)

Did you get sun rise this morning?
Surf in Mounts Bay, yesterday, though not big, was coming in a long way, probably a quarter mile run.
I did the sun rise 'back in 79'. Apart from being an early riser anyway, never felt the need to do it a second time.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #28 on: 17:34:53, 22/06/20 »
Yes and it was very cloudy up North so I saw nothing  :( . I had a good walk up the moors not many people out though. I noticed a lot arriving as we were leaving i don't think they realised sunset had passed. Either way I had a lovely walk with lots of bats flying over head and saw a few hares. I'm hoping next year there will be no cloud coverage.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 17:50:54, 22/06/20 »
I'm hoping next year there will be no cloud coverage.
I hope that every year, about 1 in 7 are good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyqG46kY-c8

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy