Author Topic: Christmas Day walks - how far did you get?  (Read 2522 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Christmas Day walks - how far did you get?
« Reply #15 on: 19:58:55, 27/12/18 »
I didn't walk, I ran.

I was out of the house at 08.15hrs, drove to Farlington Marshes, Portsmouth and then ran for about 4 miles! Nobody around, its was rather eerie but I felt great, went home, had a shower, then ruined all my effort by eating and drinking too much! Did the same the next morning, but then visited relatives in Basingstoke. I was a bit more restrained this time, got home, within 30 minutes I was in bed (about 20.00hrs) and slept rather well. Today did the same, up at 08.30hrs, running by 9.30.

Chris954

« Reply #16 on: 09:52:54, 29/12/18 »
6.5 miles around Dale Dyke reservoir, we always go for a decent walk on Christmas day, dont bother with all the turkey and mince pies.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:13:04, 29/12/18 »
3.1 miles, in search of a mobile signal for my phone.
I like to phone a few friends on Christmas Day, but to get any mobile signal here in Dyffryn, requires a tour of the nearby countryside just to get a hint of any signal, no matter which network your using.
SSE still keep pestering me to have my Electrical Smart Meter installed.
They forget that they tried last March, their engineer gave up, as he could not get any signal at all for the digital meter to work.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:54:00, 29/12/18 »
I didn't walk, I ran.

Very commendable, gunwharfman.

My wife, youngest son, dog and I have just completed our first Parkrun - a few laps around the Peedie Sea in Kirkwall. My 11 year old son was the family champion!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:47:54, 31/12/18 »
My Christmas and New year plan didn't quite go to plan! I wanted to see if I could run every day until the 'holiday period' was over but I missed one day!

It was my own fault! Earlier in the year I thought I would do a bit of paid work during the darker months so the reason I missed one run was a 07.00 phone call asking for me to drive to Kent (106 miles one way) to help one of my clients to get admitted under Section 2 of the latest Mental Health Act to his local psychiatric ward.

Both his family and I felt good about it, he was safe, in the warm, a roof over his head, people to talk too, proper medical help and proper cooked food. His only drawback, no booze and no fags!

I was talking to a young nursing assistant who was telling me that she and other staff would love to do their graduate Nurse training but the Government is now making them pay for it themselves. As she said, no incentive to do anything about it, she doesn't want to be burdened by debt!

I drove home along the M25 which was practically empty of traffic! Why do some drivers persist in driving for mile after mile in lanes two or three when lane one is totally empty? Why?

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 09:28:08, 01/01/19 »

How far? about 350 metres (as measured on Bing maps) at which point 7yr old grandson drooped pathetically and declared he didn't feel well. Being a good grandma I offered to go back with him leaving everyone else to enjoy their walk across the Malverns. :(
'I think I should sit quietly and watch television, Grandma'. 'OK' and so, of course, a miraculous recover began.
He organised a suitable for Grandma - Fantastic Mr Fox which I'd not seen and proceeded to talk me through the plot while simultaneously constructing a large Lego digger.
He's got great walking legs normally but sometimes you just need space from people - it was a lovely couple of hours.

ps I forgot to add the700 metres to my mileage!

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy