Author Topic: Bee Low and Sparrowpit  (Read 1397 times)

adalard

• Veteran Member
Bee Low and Sparrowpit
« on: 09:03:57, 27/04/17 »
It went a bit blustery and chilly here the other day after a fine weekend but Monday afternoon turned out to be unexpectedly bright so I decided to brave the wind and have a ramble around some of the farmland from Dove Holes. The views were excellent, even with a missing hill, and it was nice to discover a little bit about local history along the way.

Image may contain: cloud, sky, tree, grass, plant, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: cloud, sky, plant, grass, tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, plant, grass, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, grass, tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: plant, flower, tree, outdoor and nature

As always, there are more pictures and a write-up here:

http://www.occasionallylost.com/2017/04/bee-low-and-sparrowpit.html

Cheers,  :)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: Bee Low and Sparrowpit
« Reply #1 on: 09:51:08, 27/04/17 »
Whats the white flower? Blowed if I can make it out....maybe I just dont know :-\
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:52:01, 27/04/17 »
Love the dozing dragon tree. That one open eye watching is too realistic  :o
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:17:42, 27/04/17 »
Great TR O0 , caught my interest by the intro photos posted here.

I think your mystery bird may be a Wheatear;

Pretty birds and I often say Shrike when I mean Wheatear,  ::)  so I had to check , hence the link. I saw one in Shropshire a couple of weeks ago when I was in the middle of the remains of the High Ercall WW2 airfield, bluidy drafty at the time, so they are hardly little birds. I posted a photo of a dust devil that crept up behind me almost at the spot I saw the Wheatear.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:15:19, 27/04/17 »
Yes, I agree, it's a Wheatear.  We get quite a few of them on Dartmoor.  Here's a photo I took a couple of years ago.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:44:21, 27/04/17 »
Whats the white flower? Blowed if I can make it out....maybe I just dont know :-\

I'm not sure, Pleb. I did take a close-up too, if that's any help:

Image may contain: plant, flower, outdoor and nature

Love the dozing dragon tree. That one open eye watching is too realistic  :o

Yes, you could imagine the eye suddenly opening after I stepped on a twig as I tried to creep past...

Great TR O0 , caught my interest by the intro photos posted here...
I posted a photo of a dust devil that crept up behind me almost at the spot I saw the Wheatear.

Thanks, Barewirewalker - and I love that picture of the dust devil, a great shot!  O0

I think your mystery bird may be a Wheatear;

Pretty birds and I often say Shrike when I mean Wheatear,  ::)  so I had to check , hence the link.

Yes, I agree, it's a Wheatear.  We get quite a few of them on Dartmoor.  Here's a photo I took a couple of years ago.

Cheers, both. I really appreciate the help and I've updated the blog post with the right info now.  :) O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:58:53, 27/04/17 »
Enjoyed the TR and photos adalard    :)    It was interesting to see an area of Derbyshire that's off the beaten track yet offers good walking. 

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:35:05, 28/04/17 »
Enjoyed the TR and photos adalard    :)    It was interesting to see an area of Derbyshire that's off the beaten track yet offers good walking.

Cheers, Dovegirl.  :)  It really was an enjoyable walk and I think it might become a regular one whenever I've got a spare few hours but not enough to travel somewhere. I'm not used to walking through farmland and it'll be interesting to watch the changing landscape throughout the year. There seem to be plenty of footpaths to vary it slightly now and then too.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy