Author Topic: Powys - hill with a wonky summit cairn  (Read 3097 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Powys - hill with a wonky summit cairn
« on: 21:58:27, 05/01/19 »
Hi all

Hoping someone can put me out of my misery :)

A couple of years ago Country Walking mag printed an article and route of a trio of hills in Powys.  It caught my eye at the time and I cut the article / route out for my ever-increasing folder of walks I want to do.  Apparently it didn't make it as far as my actual folder  ;D 

All I can remember of the article is that there were 3 low (but have their own prominence) hills (probs about 1,000 ft each).  They are extinct volcanoes (which is what piqued my interest in the walk/route/article) and that there is some Welsh fisty-cuffs history relating to the hill with the wonky cairn (aye, I'm sure that narrows it down a bit  ::)  )

I seem to think they're in mid-Powys but I could be wrong about that.  I do know they weren't as far south as the Brecon Beacons.

Sooooo..... if anyone has any idea what the name of the hill with the wonky cairn is I'd be really grateful if you could put me out of my misery  :)

I'm hoping I'll say "that's the one" as soon as I see the name  O0

Ta muchly.
Mel

clyoung

• Veteran Member
Re: Powys - hill with a wonky summit cairn
« Reply #1 on: 22:14:18, 05/01/19 »
Breidden Hills?

https://www.oswestry-welshborders.org.uk/attractions/breidden-hill-rodneys-pillar/

Not been there but my mum sent me an article about them.

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:14:11, 06/01/19 »
I think Clare's is a good shout. On Moel y Golfa there is a monument to a Romany gent that mentions him never being beaten at fisty cuffs.

The walk in country walking was in October 2015

https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1189934/Country-Walking-Breidden-Hill-Powys

I've not been there either, its peaked my interest now!

Does that mean that Powys came out of your county pick this year then Mel?
Enjoy every sandwich

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:08:48, 06/01/19 »
Powys is a huge county Mel and although I have walked a bit around and near Welshpool, I prefer the Berwyns to anything else in that area. Even better is the Cambrian range which really can be isolated and superb walking, sorry didn’t answer your question just my two pence worth  ;)
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:48:29, 06/01/19 »
Breidden Hills?

https://www.oswestry-welshborders.org.uk/attractions/breidden-hill-rodneys-pillar/

Not been there but my mum sent me an article about them.

Yep! Them's the ones  O0  Cheers clyoung.

Aye Annejacko, I reckon you're right.  Thanks for the route link  :)   but 2015?  :o   Time is going far too fast!  No, Powys isn't on my hit list for this year - I'm sorting out my walks I'd like to do folder and I have "Powys - that 3 hill volcano wonky summit walk article out of CW Mag" written down  ;D

Phil, you thread hijacker, you ;D  My plans for Powys are a walk near the top, a walk near the middle and a walk at the bottom to consider it "bagged" so I might pick your brains when the time comes  :)    

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:10:57, 06/01/19 »
Sorry Mel, had to be done  ::)  Yep give me a shout  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:53:00, 07/01/19 »
The Breiddens are worth more than the cursory route Country Walking give them, be wary of the editorial that promises with breathless expertise the best route. The route is adequate for the visit Mel, seems to be planning but I would advise a careful study of the map and your timing, to really get the best out of your day. If you are going in the near future and the River Severn is in flood try to make the Breidden Hill top (Admiral Rodney's Pillar) with a low sun or even sunset as the whole of the border flood plain is at your feet and sparkles.

If the day is long and sunny, then it is worthwhile to take along rest at the Gypsy King's Memorial, especially if the light is good the views into mid Wales can stand some very detailed study.

North side of New Piece cottage there is a magical wooded path on steep siding ground, be careful the way signs do not deprive you of this pleasure, as the bridleway is the right of way. I look for quality of way in it's many forms and this was one of those places that made me start to appreciate this.

The Bytherig is worth any serious walkers attention, I hope it does not get completely chopped out by quarrying, together with Braggington Lane (Coedway) and the Maginnis bridge this is should be the LD walkers prime entry point to mid-Wales but miles of way lost to the Definitive Map has put the obvious so far out of view that it is probably lost.

Personally I would favour the Rodney Arms as a starting point, similar facilities to the Breidden Arms, but a good location to bring Pritchard's and Kempster's Hill into play as part of the round, not for peakbagging but for the sheer pleasure of the countryside the Country Walking experts seemed to have missed.

If you are on that side, even if not part of the walk, walk out a field or so from Criggion Church NW and turn to look at the hill top, is there anywhere else in England even Wales that will give you quite this experience. I have only felt it elsewhere in Scotland.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:31:21, 07/01/19 »
Cheers BWW.  The route takes in 3 hills comprising Rodney's Pillar, the Gypsy Memorial and a hill fort and at 7 miles, is plenty long enough for a leisurely day walk allowing me to enjoy the views and poke around.  However, I might well explore Pritchard's and Kempster's hills the day before/after as a separate jobbie.  Thanks for the suggestion  O0

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:54:37, 10/01/19 »
Coincidentally Mrs BWW suggested the Breiddens as a focus for a walk and we went out there yesterday. We started at the Fir Tree, Crew Green, where the Severn Way crosses the River Severn by the Melverley bridge. We headed out towards Kempster's Hill, intending to cut into the soft underbelly of the range, then approach Rodney's Pillar, fortunately we got some fine views from the N spur of Bausley Hill, Mrs BWW delighted in the ambience of the wood on the N side of that hill.

The hill fort is jealously guarded by a well faded bull warning on a gate that has seen little use in an age.

We then went on to walk the path that crosses the NNW flank of Kempster's Hill. This took some doing as all way marks seemed to be missing, after some decent quality of way along a contour on the top field margin, when then found a new post and wire fence topped with high tensile bar barring the RoW. Curiously either side were 2 upright posts, about knee height, exactly where a stile might have been. We then found ourselves within the sort of Country Life My Pony setup, that spring over couple of years from old small holdings, often to wither away, actually a slight hint poor stockmanship did suggest that process had already started.

I have no doubt that the significance of this bit path will be escape most, but there is a very short length of lostway from the Welsh Border to the road junction, where the lane splitting the Breiddon Massif East to West. That lane joins ways that link the Melverley to the Maginnis Bridge and this join open countryside of North Shopshire to the Mid-Wales heartland.
I hope you might find these observations of interest when you visit the Breiddens, Mel. Not that I expect you to take the minutiae to heart, but when you stand on the various viewpoints, maybe some significance of the broader view and this may help and link in with the many discussions and opinions expressed on this forum.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:27:13, 15/01/19 »
We then went on to walk the path that crosses the NNW flank of Kempster's Hill. This took some doing as all way marks seemed to be missing... .

I had a very similar experience and I ended up starting from the lane south of the hill.

Nice to read about the Breidden Hills. They form a nice compact range with some great viewpoints. I walked there t'other day - mini TR here.
Skip

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy