Author Topic: Outlets in the lakes  (Read 1143 times)

titaniumdude

Outlets in the lakes
« on: 23:43:43, 22/05/07 »
Went to Lake District last weekend and despite having planned a couple of routes did nowt cos both myself and Mrs TD had succumbed to some lurgy of an unknown aetiology and were not up to the hills.  Instead we visited a few places and scoured the gear stores.  Had the dog with us and as usual took her in all the shops.  Blacks, Ultimate outdoors, George fisher, Needle sports etc.  No probs until we walked into a branch of Millets.  After a couple of minutes browsing, some random shop dude walked up to us and informed us that they now only allow guide dogs.  This came as a surprise and I explained that the Millets and Blacks we sometimes visit in our home town does not have a problem with dogs.  She then explained that this must be a complete one off as it was company policy.  Odd since we looked for the sign banning all but guide dogs on the way out and it was a scribbled note blue tacked to the door.  So we tested her statement in Ambleside in both Blacks and Millets (the same company) and they didn't bat an eyelid at our mutt even when I walked up to the counter with said mutt in tow to make a random enquiry. 

My thought was 'How can a company with so many shops now facing closure after poor sales figures begin to veto customers simply because they have a dog in tow'?  I thought they needed all the custom they could get!  Or maybe they're already earmarked for closure.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Snowman

Re: Outlets in the lakes
« Reply #1 on: 09:26:08, 23/05/07 »
I too have had a problem with Millets in the past and have tended to avoid them as a matter of principle.    At the time they were selling a reasonably good 'expedition' tent at a sensible price, but not being the usual cheap 'festival' product it had to be ordered.    I did so, and they called me to tell me it had arrived, leaving an answerphone message.    I made my way in a couple of days later, only to be told by the manager that because I hadn't returned their call (they hadn't asked me to) they'd sold it to someone else.   I was not a happy bunny, which I think the manager understood by the time I left.

I boycotted Millets for some time later and still tend to use them as a last resort, although I do think that they provide satisfactory gear for most walking conditions at a reasonable price.

I wasn't aware though that they were in any trouble?   After hearing about your issue with your canine companion, and my own experience with them, perhaps they need to address staff training?

S.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy