Author Topic: Local Knowledge - Kinder Scout  (Read 1358 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Local Knowledge - Kinder Scout
« on: 17:44:46, 09/07/07 »
Anxious not to repeat our last parking fiasco I'm wondering if anyone here can recommend places to park around Upper Booth or Barber Booth aside from the already present Car Park halfway between the two.

We're doing a brief jaunt on Kinder this weekend (weather permitting, although the forecast so far seems promising) starting as close to the Ladder as we can get. So any suggestions?
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

M J B

Re: Local Knowledge - Kinder Scout
« Reply #1 on: 21:47:53, 09/07/07 »
I would have said the limited parking at Barber Booth should be ok.

Snowman

« Reply #2 on: 09:33:58, 10/07/07 »
I know it doesn't quite match your 'proximity' preference, but the only time I went up Kinder Scout was from a car park on the Explorer map at SK 123 823.

I chose this start point because it means you can ascend by Jacob's Ladder and then bypass it on the way back, heading towards Brown Knoll.   SE from there and E towards Lord's Seat and you get a nice ridge walk back to the car park.

Only trouble is it was muddy when I went so I hate to think what it's like now, although if  you're going up Kinder anyway I guess that doesn't bother you.

S.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:28:55, 10/07/07 »
Barber is what I was looking at.

As for muddy, well I was all for going up Curbar and Frogatt edge, which given a few days to dry out would have been ok and reminiscent of Stanage. Weather so far would have made a fairly dry walk a possibility.

However my walking bud wanted to do Kinder Scout. I said ok, you do realise that it's covered in streams and stuff, and that we'll need boots and definitely a change of clothes?

He said yes, so off we go.

That said it's been a while since we did a muddy walk, and considering it may be relatively quiet as well may not be a bad time. Forecast isn't so bad so hopefully it won't be too bad.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy