Author Topic: St. John’s in the Vale Youth Hostel  (Read 2002 times)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
St. John’s in the Vale Youth Hostel
« on: 21:11:46, 03/11/18 »
25+ years ago I stayed in a youth hostel at St. John’s in the Vale. I remember it as quite basic with separate male and female dorms, cold running water in the sinks (no showers) and (if my memory does not deceive me) no electricity. I stayed there with my future wife and a friend, who asked the warden if we could bring wine in. He replied that alcohol was not allowed under YHA rules, but if we had fruit juice that just happened to be carried in wine bottles, that would be fine.

I can’t seem to find it anywhere on the web, so assume the hostel has closed. Does anyone else remember this place?

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: St. John’s in the Vale Youth Hostel
« Reply #1 on: 21:25:18, 03/11/18 »
I think it closed about 2000, it's now the Lodge in the Vale (according to Google)

Built in 2010 on the site of a former youth hostel

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g967087-d1876688-i193099551-The_Lodge_in_the_Vale-Thirlmere_Keswick_Lake_District_Cumbria_England.html
« Last Edit: 21:28:35, 03/11/18 by bricam2096 »
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:37:01, 03/11/18 »
Thanks Bricam. It’s sad when places with character disappear. I suppose such a basic place wouldn’t suit most people today.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:03:15, 03/11/18 »
Was it definitely the one bricam linked to?

There's also this one:

https://www.cdyc.org.uk/

which is very much still up and running   O0

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:34:58, 03/11/18 »

The page where I got the info about it being built on the site of the former youth hostel is on this link, but it's quite far down it. I put the initial link for tripadvisor as it had a photo of the old YHA :-)

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2012/mar/28/top-10-hotels-lake-district

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:45:54, 03/11/18 »

There's also this one:

https://www.cdyc.org.uk/

which is very much still up and running  O0

It was definitely a YHA youth hostel, but it is hard to remember the exact details of the building. I remember the facilities and atmosphere more. We only stayed there one night. We had stayed in a farmhouse at Mireside Farm on Ennerdale for a week and then met up with our friend and neighbour for a day’s walking and a stay in the hostel. Therefore, I can’t be absolutely sure what happened to the hostel, unless there is someone else on the forum who has stayed there.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:56:17, 03/11/18 »
Have now found that it used to be called Thrilmere Youth Hostel, which made it easier to find out more info.  O0

http://www.cwherald.com/a/archive/hostel-&%238220%3bwould-be-harmful-to-intimate-character-of-area&%238221%3b.230983.html

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:36:55, 21/11/18 »
It was indeed the Thirlmere Youth Hostel, at which I stayed in 1978.
I still have the little green 'book' with the hostel stamps in and one of those is from there.

It always held a happy place in my memory as I used to pass it on the road and remember my stay there. It was sad when I realised it had been re-developed.
I remember a conversation with the old chap who was the warden when I was dubbin my boots and we discussed the various merits of polish v dubbin.
I'm sure he said he'd been a quarry worker. He must have been in his late 60s or even early 70s at that time (mind you, he may only have been 45 !!)

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:37:15, 22/11/18 »
It’s good to know others remember the place. It is sad when quirky places with character are ‘improved’ by being redeveloped. Although I am a bit older now and enjoy comfort more, I still believe that there is something special in staying in more basic facilities, such as bunkhouses, mountain refuges and club huts and wild camping. My wife might not agree with me, but that is the prerogative of wives.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy