Author Topic: Bowfell...........Advice please...  (Read 1330 times)

vole

Bowfell...........Advice please...
« on: 07:41:50, 08/11/18 »
Good morning, new to the forum so hello!

Tomorrow (Friday) I'm heading to the Lakes for the night. I'm intending to walk Bowfell from the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel, and return the same route.

The problem is that I can't arrive until 12pm. Will this give me enough time in daylight to do the walk?

I've read online that its around 4-5 hours, but I don't want to be up there in the dark!

Kind regards

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Bowfell...........Advice please...
« Reply #1 on: 07:59:39, 08/11/18 »
Welcome to the forum. Sunset is 1624. The weather forecast is awful. Rain and 40 to 50 mph wind. Expect low visibility which will slow you down and make navigating harder. Personally I wouldn’t even set off. it won’t be much fun.
Solvitur Ambulando

vole

« Reply #2 on: 08:03:26, 08/11/18 »
I did see the weather wasn't great, that's not great news, I really wanted to head up Bow fell.

If I did end up going, I guess I'd be best not routing along the climbers traverse?

Cottage booked, gear packed as well!  :-\

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #3 on: 08:13:27, 08/11/18 »
I agree with everything that Ninthace has said.

Here's a link to the Met Office Mountain Weather Forecast for the Lake District.   The link should take you to the Summit Specific page and if you click on the icon that says '20' then it will give you the conditions on the summit of Bowfell (along with other summits). 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/mountain-map/lake-district#?tab=mountainMap&map=Summits&zoom=7&lon=-3.08&lat=54.48

In addition to what Ninthace has said, the overall temperature for the day on the summit is 2 to 3C, adding on the windchill brings that down to around -6C. 

So, to sum it up, there is going to be heavy rain for most of the day, poor visibility, very strong winds, temperatures on the summit below zero and short daylight hours - made even worse by the fact that you won't be able to set off until noon.

Think I would give Bowfell a miss if I was you and do a walk more appropriate for the weather and conditions.   Bowfell will always be there another day.

vole

« Reply #4 on: 08:22:39, 08/11/18 »
Thanks I appreciate the advice

Can anyone recommend any other walk that would be possible?

My plan was to park up at the Old Dungeon Ghyll car park for a walk, then head to the New Dungeon Ghyll hotel for food around 4-5pm.

We are actually staying over in Grasmere

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: 08:27:45, 08/11/18 by vole »

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #5 on: 08:33:36, 08/11/18 »
This page on the WalkLakes website lists some walks in the Langdale area.

https://www.walklakes.co.uk/walks_langdale.html

The Waterfalls and Cathedral Cavern walk would be a good one to do, given the weather forecast for Friday.

https://www.walklakes.co.uk/walk_110.html

You can even park for free at Elterwater (see where the arrow is pointing to on the map link below) or if you're a National Trust member you can park in their car park near the River, next to the bridge.   

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=332647&Y=505227&A=Y&Z=115&ax=333130&ay=505055

The Britannia Inn at Elterwater is a nice little pub.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:37:04, 08/11/18 »
+1 for Lorry’s suggestion. Cathedral Cavern is worth a visit and the Britannia does a good Lamb Shank.
Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:38:23, 08/11/18 »
Hi Vole and welcome to the forum.  I have had a look at the forecast for tomorrow and, if it were me, I'd be staying low.  I wouldn't dream of attempting Bow Fell with wind speeds like that, and, with a late start I think we'd be reading about you in the Grough if you decided to go up.  There are some pleasant riverside and valley paths in Langdale, or maybe round Tarn Hows area - and lakeside paths in Grasmere for that matter, but windspeeds of over 40 mph with gusts to 70 would be no fun on the tops.  And, if were me I'd be eating and drinking in the ODG rather than the NDG - personal preference  O0

Oh - and I agree with Lakeland Lorry's response too - some great suggestions - Cathedral Cavern is fascinating though you might get wet!

vole

« Reply #8 on: 08:47:49, 08/11/18 »
Thanks all, I really do appreciate your advice.....and I think I'll head off on the walk suggested!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:48:59, 08/11/18 »
Hi Vole and welcome to the forum.  I read your post on the bus earlier and didn't have time to reply. I would have replied with the same advice as given by the others. Enjoy your time in Langdale and I hope you don't get too wet!
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:32:54, 08/11/18 »
Here is a route which includes a small hill if you feel the need for a summit.
https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=fjethmrzfkwilonwIf
You can leave Great How out without any detriment though.  The trace starts at Cathedral Cave but that is an artefact following a battery change. I started at Elterwater
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy