Author Topic: How hard is Snowdon?  (Read 84812 times)

mountainwheelchair

Re: How hard is Snowdon?
« Reply #30 on: 15:13:12, 01/03/18 »
Appreciate this is an old topic, but just wanted to share my thoughts.

The Llanberis Path is easy! I often take students up there who's only experience of walking is getting from their X-Box to the fridge.

As everybody else has said though, don't under estimate the weather and be prepared for the worst.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 12:08:37, 04/03/18 »
On a calm Spring or Summer afternoon, there is nothing challenging about climbing Snowdon.
The only route that poses any challenge is the Snowdon Horseshoe, but every path to the summit is manageable for a fit active person.

The Southern flanks of the mountain are the easiest, but even the very popular PYG and Miners paths are straight forward in good visibility.

In fine weather from April to October, climbing Snowdon is within the capabilities of just about any active outdoors person.

Due to its location, the mountain receives some very hostile weather, and its very exposed above the 3000ft contour, but in good favourable conditions, is within the capabilities of just about any fit active person.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 13:32:23, 04/03/18 »

Please NEVER, NEVER, NEVER follow the railway down in winter conditions. Someone was killed doing this last week. The snow banks out the track above Clogwyn Coch leaving hard icy snow, one slip here and you will not stop for 500 feet.

A few days after the person was killed I was up there on a superb sunny cold day and two guys had got into trouble in the same place. One made it back up to the footpath the other was on his hands and knees trying to get up to it, he kept slipping. I had crampons and an ice axe but was too far from him to help and had to watch as he inched his way up - fortunately he made it. Later on a couple had to be rescued by the MRT from the same place after they tried descending in the dark and thought it would be easier to follow the railway. Please let all know - stay off the railway in winter conditions.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 13:44:57, 04/03/18 »
Any mountain in freezing conditions poses a real challenge, especially one 3560ft high.
In the Spring and Summer, Snowdon is usually a good day out in the hills, but if the weather is changeable, it can still be a challenge, due to the ferocity of the prevailing winds and driving rain it receives being so close to the Irish Sea.

Its always best to go fully prepared, and consult the various weather reports for Snowdonia, as their rarely inaccurate, giving a walker a good indication of what conditions are like on the summits.

Snowdon is like any mountain,  go fully kitted out for the kind of terrain you expect, and pay close inspection to the weather reports.

Ive climbed Snowdon many times, in all weather conditions, just use a bit of common sense, do not take unnecessary risks, and keep to the chosen route, and if the weather turns nasty, never be afraid to turn around.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 19:31:44, 04/03/18 »
Please NEVER, NEVER, NEVER follow the railway down in winter conditions. Someone was killed doing this last week.

... Please let all know - stay off the railway in winter conditions.

O0 O0 O0
Where there's a will ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 19:55:57, 04/03/18 »

Please NEVER, NEVER, NEVER follow the railway down in winter conditions. Someone was killed doing this last week. The snow banks out the track above Clogwyn Coch leaving hard icy snow, one slip here and you will not stop for 500 feet.

A few days after the person was killed I was up there on a superb sunny cold day and two guys had got into trouble in the same place. One made it back up to the footpath the other was on his hands and knees trying to get up to it, he kept slipping. I had crampons and an ice axe but was too far from him to help and had to watch as he inched his way up - fortunately he made it. Later on a couple had to be rescued by the MRT from the same place after they tried descending in the dark and thought it would be easier to follow the railway. Please let all know - stay off the railway in winter conditions.

Back in the mid 70's a few of us (experienced 'hill' walkers) decided to 'do' Snowdon in February, it was absolutely freezing and the rock was covered with ice, we decided to cancel about half way up, return and live to walk another day.
That afternoon a school party decided to descend using the railway, it was just an ice sheet, several slipped and were killed.

Snowdon is a pussy-cat and a tiger, the weather conditions are the determining factor. Go well equipped and with an experienced  friend (or two).
One to be injured, one to stay with the victim and one to go / call for help.
« Last Edit: 20:14:40, 04/03/18 by alan de enfield »

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 20:10:58, 04/03/18 »
Snowden? Sorry to be pedantic but it’s Snowdon  :)
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 20:14:06, 04/03/18 »

Snowden? Sorry to be pedantic but it’s Snowdon  :)

Quite right - accuracy is paramount - I'll edit it.

(I blame spellchucker)

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 07:30:09, 05/03/18 »
I remember that school party well. Our club hut is on the way down and someone from that party came to ask for help. The blokes there turned out but there was not much they could do.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 08:26:41, 05/03/18 »

I remember that school party well. Our club hut is on the way down and someone from that party came to ask for help. The blokes there turned out but there was not much they could do.

I was trying to work out when it was - would '73 be about right ?

Tin

« Reply #40 on: 08:49:33, 05/03/18 »

I was trying to work out when it was - would '73 be about right ?

Feb 22nd 1972, link below;

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/on-this-day-the-times-february-22-1972-wqn206hz355

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 08:59:20, 05/03/18 »

Feb 22nd 1972, link below;

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/on-this-day-the-times-february-22-1972-wqn206hz355

Thanks - that's the one.

It can happen to even the most experienced if they do not have the equipment to suit the conditions,

« Last Edit: 09:03:59, 05/03/18 by alan de enfield »

dank86

« Reply #42 on: 22:35:47, 17/04/18 »
I was up Snowdon on the 9th April and there was still snow about up there, we had the best day of the week for it though. Went up the rangers path and down ryhd du, the southern paths are so underrated in my opinion and while the pyg track will be like a motorway in high season the southern side tends to be quieter and offers a different perspective on this lovely mountain

c.bede

« Reply #43 on: 10:45:38, 18/04/18 »
Definitely a shout out for the very pretty and underrated Ranger path.  Ryhd Ddu has some more exposed ground (which is great fun on a good day by the way), but the Ranger is pleasant and quiet with only the steep section around Clogwyn Du'r Arddu, well away from the crowds until you join the railway path near the top.  Using the light railway to journey between the two paths adds to the day out too.  Park at Ranger, train to Ryhd Ddu and up that path, down the Ranger to the car.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 12:03:43, 18/04/18 »
In fine settled weather, the mountain is straight forward, especially its southern slopes in and around the Nantlle Valley.
Just remember, the mountain is 3560ft above sea level, and due to its close proximity to the Irish Sea, attracts high winds and lots of mist and low cloud.
Ive even encountered some snow showers in early June, so if the weather's right, it can receive just about any kind of weather, whatever the time of year.
Its a high mountain, that offers little or no protection until the summit cafe is reached, so it deserves respect.
Research your chosen route carefully, and go fully prepared, apart from that, its an easy mountain to ascend in fine weather.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy