Author Topic: The list of items that I take when hiking.  (Read 1267 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: The list of items that I take when hiking.
« Reply #15 on: 19:35:50, 28/02/20 »
I know its a small item and weighs little but it annoys me that to charge my phone from my external battery I always have to carry TWO leads, a C lead from my phone to my battery and the other type of lead (I don't know it actual name) that's needed to charge my battery.

My Anker cable has a usb one end and the connector for my phone on the other. The Anker charges via one socket, which is the standard Samsung socket,  and provides power via its usb socket. You reverse the cable to charge the Anker, so can then either use your laptop or PC if at home, or a standard charger plug if away, only one lead needed.
Where there's a will ...

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:39:42, 28/02/20 »
Sounds similar to my four quid Asda one, which has a usb socket in one end and a micro-usb socket in the other end, and it comes with a short, standard usb to micro usb cable.

You charge it with the usb plug of the cable in an adapter in a mains socket, or in a mains socket that has a usb socket in it, and the micro-usb end of the cable plugged into the powerbank.

When you use the powerbank to charge the phone, you use the same cable plugged into the usb end of the powerbank and the micro-usb end of the cable plugged into the phone.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 23:28:26, 28/02/20 »

When you use the powerbank to charge the phone, you use the same cable plugged into the usb end of the powerbank and the micro-usb end of the cable plugged into the phone.

That's fine for 'older phones' the majority of new phones (and all Samsung) use a new size/type of connector called "USB-C". It is actually an EU requirement that that all phones sold in the EU must have a common connection and it appears that USB-C has been chosen

Anyone who has an 'old' USB-Micro, or USB Macro, or Apple Lightening connector cable* will either need to buy new leads or an adapter when then buy a new phone.

* Apple have been fighting against the implementation of the new connector on phones but have already introduced it on their I-pads etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51208912

The EU are now bringing in legislation that all phones sold in the EU must have removable / replaceable batteries again their is much reluctance to change, but the EU is one of the worlds biggest markets.

https://www.idropnews.com/rumors/the-eu-wants-the-iphone-to-have-a-removable-battery/130391/

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 08:43:09, 29/02/20 »

The EU are now bringing in legislation that all phones sold in the EU must have removable / replaceable batteries again their is much reluctance to change, but the EU is one of the worlds biggest markets.

https://www.idropnews.com/rumors/the-eu-wants-the-iphone-to-have-a-removable-battery/130391/
Will Apple fight that as they will not be able to throttle the performance on older phones when the battery is a bit knacked.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 11:15:47, 29/02/20 »
Replaceable batteries YES!!! I have an Ipad (which I now never use) which is slow, will not download the apps I want to use and is a pain in the ----!

The idea that we can be so easily controlled by someone from thousands of miles away is a scary thought!

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:19:48, 29/02/20 »

The idea that we can be so easily controlled by someone from thousands of miles away is a scary thought!

I think Brussels is a bit closer than that

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 13:29:41, 29/02/20 »
I think Brussels is a bit closer than that

Didn't know that Apple were a Belgian company.  ;)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:15:15, 29/02/20 »

Didn't know that Apple were a Belgian company.  ;)
They might be, if the corporation tax regime is more favourable.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 15:15:43, 29/02/20 »
  I think it is called working to a standard.  In the same way that if you want to sell electric goods to the UK then they need to come with a 3 pin plug so, if you want to sell a phone to the EU, they can tell you what kind of plug they want.
(As an aside, wiring up a plug on the other side of the Channel is much easier as their plugs do not need to differentiate between live and neutral).
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 17:01:12, 29/02/20 »
'we' was a bad choice of words, its the idea that someone can fiddle with my Ipad from who knows where which I dislike. Alan are you suggesting that 'Brussels' was or is controlling the UK? How are they, or how can they do this I wonder? Do you know this to be true, if so may I ask how do you know? It must be a 'fake news' surely?

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 21:56:07, 29/02/20 »
  I think it is called working to a standard.  In the same way that if you want to sell electric goods to the UK then they need to come with a 3 pin plug so, if you want to sell a phone to the EU, they can tell you what kind of plug they want.
(As an aside, wiring up a plug on the other side of the Channel is much easier as their plugs do not need to differentiate between live and neutral).
Standards are a good thing, it saves lives.
The problem is agreeing on a standard.  A skill we seem to have lost in recent years.  I recently bough an engineers square and noticed that it had both BS and EU standards numbers printed on it.  Bet that was a fun committee to be on.
I believe the EU wiring regs (IEC 60364) are based mainly on UK regs (BS7671), even though there are regional differences, which are covered.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 11:43:24, 01/03/20 »
I forgot something on my list.

1 x shower head
1 x flexible bottle
1 x bit of string

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy