Author Topic: Walking shoe sizing  (Read 3229 times)

Butchersboy

Walking shoe sizing
« on: 20:50:51, 22/02/19 »
Looking to purchase first walking shoes.
After some advice

I wear a dress shoe size 11
Running shoes 11.5
Tried on the Moab 2 non goretex with slightly thicker socks
11's my toes touched the ends, too small
11.5 felt OK
12's felt OK
Any thoughts?

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking shoe sizing
« Reply #1 on: 21:05:31, 22/02/19 »
your feet will swell as the day goes on

Ronin83

« Reply #2 on: 21:48:31, 22/02/19 »
Moabs and most Merrell in general are small. Go for 12s

Butchersboy

« Reply #3 on: 22:39:12, 22/02/19 »
Moabs and most Merrell in general are small. Go for 12s
This was my plan  worst case scenario I ebay them if to big

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:47:28, 23/02/19 »
Looking to purchase first walking shoes.
After some advice

I wear a dress shoe size 11
Running shoes 11.5
Tried on the Moab 2 non goretex with slightly thicker socks
11's my toes touched the ends, too small
11.5 felt OK
12's felt OK
Any thoughts?

Go for 12`s. Wear them around the house all day. Any pinching then return them. I have bought masses of boots over the years which I returned. Online is the worst way, I think, for buying, but you do get a good selection & can read reviews. Its better to try lots on in the shop, but even then you still have to bite the bullet and buy after a relatively short decision making process...
« Last Edit: 10:02:13, 23/02/19 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:17:54, 23/02/19 »
I have the Moab 2 boots in size 12UK (13 US) and am an 11 extra wide in normal shoes and a 12W in Altberg. I have found the Moabs very comfortable and my toes have not hit the front. The Moabs were the only boots I could find (other than Altberg) that were big enough.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:44:15, 23/02/19 »
Ignore the stated size - if they are comfortable then the size is right - they fit
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:30:31, 23/02/19 »
Go for the 12's - allows the option of thicker socks.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Litehiker

« Reply #8 on: 03:15:03, 09/03/19 »
1. have some room at the toe box (1/4 inch) for room when you do long downhill walks.

2. Be sure to get one size wider than normal B/C as Hillhiker 1 sez, your feet will swell, especially when carrying a load. Having blisters between yer toes is living hell. (Don't even ask...)

Eric B.

zuludog

« Reply #9 on: 07:35:24, 09/03/19 »
There are a few sets of standard size ranges for boots & shoes - British, American, and European, but they are not absolutely accurate and precise, or directly comparable.
Each manufacturer will have slightly different interpretations of a size, and also there are often differences between different models of boot from the same manufacturer

Thus although your stated size might be a 10, you should try a 10, or 10 1/2, or a 44 or 45, or a 9 1/2, and so on from several makes & models
for some shoes you'll say - no; for some - maybe; for some - yes; and for one or two pairs you'll say ah, yes! definitely! these are the ones
And so on for other sizes
Thus you should use a shoe size as a guide then make the final decision on comfort & fit

But you can't do that with Online purchases, you have to go into a shop, IMHO that's the only sensible way

Also, your feet get bigger as you get older; typically from age 50 to 55 you might need a size bigger. I found this out the hard way, with some boots I'd worn for years round the Lakes & elsewhere, then I tried doing the Ribble Way in them and had to drop out after 2 days, in agony
I used to take about a 10 1/2; now I'm in my 60s and take an 11 1/2 to 12. Like I said, go by the fit, not the numbers

Having said that, if there's any doubt, go for a slightly larger size. As stated your feet will swell as you do some walking, plus you can always wear a thicker sock or lace them a bit tighter. But if boots & shoes are too tight, there's not much you can do about it - except suffer

« Last Edit: 07:50:14, 09/03/19 by zuludog »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:43:17, 09/03/19 »
Lots of good advice. For my part I always use Sorbothane inserts. I'm a size 7, so will buy 7.5 or even 8 depending on manufacturer. My boots today are size 8. I always try them on in a shop, but I don't necessarily buy them from a shop. Remember to take your normal socks with you when trying on new boots.

Yes, feet swell, mine do anyway. To overcome this problem, my routine is to just take out the manufacters inserts and this opens up a bit of space in the boot, which tends to work well for me. I always carry a spare pair of old trainer inserts with me as well, just in case my feet get wet. I just change my socks, put the dry inserts on top of the Sorbothanes and carry on walking. My boots may still be wet inside but I find it just helps to keep being comfortable for that much longer.

Maggot

« Reply #11 on: 11:50:16, 09/03/19 »
Don't worry about the size, do they say 'Scarpa' on the label.  If they don't they won't fit.

Seriously, I would probably go for the 46 or 47

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:05:10, 09/03/19 »
Don't worry about the size, do they say 'Scarpa' on the label.  If they don't they won't fit.

Complete and utter rubbish.They are no better than any other chinese made footwear.  But because of the name, sold for enough profit to allow for returns by those sensible enough to return poorly qc'd hoods.

A previous thread showed how all these fashionable names share a Chinese design and manufacture.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Maggot

« Reply #13 on: 13:23:55, 09/03/19 »

Complete and utter rubbish.They are no better than any other chinese made footwear.  But because of the name, sold for enough profit to allow for returns by those sensible enough to return poorly qc'd hoods.

A previous thread showed how all these fashionable names share a Chinese design and manufacture.

Blimey!  You do know that just because someone wrote it on the internet, it may not actually be true don't you?

But I am intrigued, which thread was that then?  I think we should we should be told which Chinese manufacturing plant make Scarpa boots.  Crack on.........
« Last Edit: 13:27:36, 09/03/19 by Maggot »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 14:50:39, 09/03/19 »

Blimey!  You do know that just because someone wrote it on the internet, it may not actually be true don't you?
Fully aware,after all, I do read your musings ;D ::)
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy