Author Topic: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere  (Read 39935 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere
« Reply #135 on: 19:48:37, 24/12/17 »
The only real issue for most of the objectors, is that a view will be spoilt, well so what, if that is the only negative response they can come up with, then i pitty them.
The proposed 53 created jobs, and magnificent cycle track was at the back of their minds.
Obviously little regard was given to the job prospects of the young in that area.
A few dozen jobs may not be that important to some, but it was interesting to note the the majority of visitors now visiting the area, were of a mature age, many of whom are financially sound, and have no reason to worry about the future.

This was a development that was far from profit only, but an idea that would have benefited a much wider community.

Let's hope another area has more insight into what attracts a younger visitor.

The Alfred Wainwright old retired person, enjoying the fells, is unfortunately a symbol held dearly in the Lakes.

Its a symbol that is a thing of the past, and its the future that's more important, a future that belongs to the young, just as much as those older, set in their ways and  nothing must change fraternity.
« Last Edit: 20:00:40, 24/12/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #136 on: 20:56:29, 24/12/17 »
The only real issue for most of the objectors, is that a view will be spoilt, well so what, if that is the only negative response they can come up with, then i pitty them.

I pity you DA because you are coming across as being incredibly stupid, is it intentional or are you being deliberately obtuse and flaming as bricam suggests?

You must not have read my responses asking you to read what the objectors are actually objecting to and it isn't just about the bleddy view!

Your response seems to imply you think a decision has been made? Laura Fiske is from the Friends of the Lake District, it is the LDNP planners who will make the decision.

Read what the objectors are saying, including the 15 page letter from Friends of the Lake District and if you mention what you think about the Sandford Principle and how it could affect how the LDNPA assess this application then I may take you seriously. Instead you keep spouting the same rubbish about people needing jobs in this area. They don't! The jobs that will be offered by TTT/Zip World if they are the same as in Wales are on shockingly bad contracts, no secure number of hours, one season contracts. It is not 53 jobs by the way it is also sometimes 28 FTE but this has been touted as low as 6 in some of TTT's documents. Hardly worth ruining a peaceful valley for is it? Have you ever been to Thirlmere?

You seem to be repeating the sort of bilge that Mike Turner is. Nonsense that is not based on any sort of reality. There are plenty of young people who visit the Lake District, we don't need to encourage young people here, they come for the mountains and lakes already. Are you seriously saying that the mountains and lakes of the Lake District are a thing of the past? Are they going to disappear? Or are you saying that people will suddenly not want to climb, scramble, walk up the fells and people will stop wanting to sail, canoe, kayak on the lakes sometime in the near future?

Unless you provide an educated answer I will not respond to any more of your posts if you are just repeating the same crap about jobs and young people, I have better things to do.
Hate will never win

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #137 on: 22:15:19, 24/12/17 »
either you are deliberately trying to wind up people (just for a change) or you really do not have a clue.

I suspect it's the former.

See Wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

tenmilesplus

« Reply #138 on: 00:08:15, 25/12/17 »
DA...The Young will also be old one day, they hope.. Are you suggesting the Lake District is changed 'for the benefit of the young' and when they are old the Lake District be changed back again ' for the benefit of the old ?

The point of keeping parts of the Country 'unspoilt' is that there IS somewhere for EVERYONE to enjoy, old, young, elderly, infirm, disabled.. yes, Everyone..
 If these places are changed they will cease to be there for the enjoyment of all and become a playground for the few..
 These are the main feelings of those that are objecting so lets keep the Lake District ( and it IS the Lake District not 'The Lakes' ) a place for ALL and not a playground for the few..

Something like a Zip wire will be of interest for the few, if you think the Zip wire will interest the Many then why is the Lake District so popular WITHOUT one ? The lake District has been a popular location for MANY years, a Zip wire will add nothing but traffic ( road and foot ) to the Lake District which will increase the cost of maintenance but add very little to the LOCAL economy in relation, a few jobs and possibly a bit of money but the real profits will go to the Company and the Companies that may be incidental such as cafes and pubs but this sort of business is in no way guaranteed, no local business owner is going to go out and buy a new car with the expected profits based on a 'Zip wire'.. There for the only person that is interested in a Zip wire is the owner of the Zip wire.. The reduction in visitor numbers that attend the area for it's Peace quality may not be substituted by the visitor numbers attending the Zip wire so the 'increase in business' will be next to nothing if any at all.
« Last Edit: 00:14:32, 25/12/17 by tenmilesplus »
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #139 on: 12:39:44, 25/12/17 »
Quite frankly, your thread hijacks are getting tiresome ....  if you want to be the centre of attention, keep it on topic or start your own.

Hear hear!

DA, as so often you are being deliberately provocative. Your interventions are irritating and attention-seeking.

Trolling has been a problem on the internet since the days of Usenet and BBS in the 1980s. The most effective response remains as it was then - 'Don't feed the trolls'.

Skip

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #140 on: 22:04:55, 03/01/18 »
Ramblers Statement on Thirlmere Zipwire Proposals

As Ramblers, we value our countryside for its natural beauty, sense of peace and tranquility and
wildlife, as well as its vital role in promoting wellbeing and sustainable economic growth. We
believe that development should work harmoniously with the countryside and that our
landscapes need to be developed sensitively, so that the communities living in them can benefit
from the services and infrastructure they require in order to have a sustainable future.
Thousands of our volunteers work actively across the country, applying their expert and local
knowledge of their landscape, walking environment, community and economy to evaluate and
respond to planning and landscape issues in their local areas and we fully support the work
they do. In this instance, we are pleased to support the decision that the local Ramblers areas,
together with some of our members in their personal capacity, have taken to object to the Zip
Wire proposals
, which they consider will adversely affect the landscape character, tranquillity
and visual amenity of the area.

--------------

I recently contacted the Ramblers for their position on the zipwire and the above is their response to me, it is also downloadable from their website:

http://www.ramblers.org.uk/~/media/Resources/Volunteer%20resources/Protecting%20and%20expanding%20where%20we%20walk%20toolkit/Our%20statement%20on%20Thirlmere%20zip%20line%20proposals.pdf

The Campaign for National Parks (CNP) , with which the Ramblers are affiliated, have already spoken out against the proposals but it's good to see the Ramblers also releasing their own statement on the subject.
Not all those who wander are lost

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #141 on: 14:18:56, 04/01/18 »
What was the name of the Welsh guy from Llandudno? The one that Glyno seemed to hate?
Llandudno Lad or something??

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #142 on: 14:50:42, 04/01/18 »
I recently contacted the Ramblers for their position on the zipwire and the above is their response to me, it is also downloadable from their website

I saw the Ramblers post on Zip Off last night Strider, your efforts paid off  O0 They are a bit late to arrive at the party but still very welcome, they will have a lot of influence and I hope it generates more letters of opposition  :)

What was the name of the Welsh guy from Llandudno?

Llandudnoboy. I am totally baffled why you are asking about him  ;)
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #143 on: 15:04:25, 04/01/18 »
For those that wish to write a letter to LDNP about the zip wire plans here are the links again. The date has been extended to 12/1/18

The planning application
http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=7/2017/2298

Send your email to [email protected]
Include your name, address, the date and the application reference 7/2017/2298

It has new documents on there from Cumbria County Council, Allerdale Borough Council and Buttermere Parish Council that I haven't read yet but will do when I post this.

Friends of the Lake District info pages - very good advice on here about sending your letter/email
https://www.friendsofthelakedistrict.org.uk/Pages/Site/thirlmere/Category/thirlmere-zip-wires

Sign the Zip Off petition here, 9,407 at the moment
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/say-no-to-zip-wires-across-thirlmere?source=facebook-share-button&time=1511534681
Hate will never win

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #144 on: 15:16:27, 04/01/18 »
An interesting and thought provoking blog by Kingsley Jones on the subject of the Zip Wire.

He's done it in the form of a letter to Mike Turner of Tree Top Treks.

https://kingsleyjones.com/2018/01/01/wireless-adventure/

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #145 on: 15:30:31, 04/01/18 »
Thanks for the link Lakeland Lorry

I think this is what most of us feel but are unable to put into words. I wish I had the skills to write as well as Kinglsey Jones, what a brilliant letter.

Hate will never win

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #146 on: 09:21:19, 05/01/18 »
For those who missed the ITV Border report on the Thirlmere Zip Wire, or for those who aren't in the Border region, the Friends of the Lake District have just posted the video of the report on their Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsoftheLakeDistrict/videos/10155275179212218/

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #147 on: 09:24:09, 05/01/18 »
I've pasted below the text that Friends of the Lake District posted on their Facebook page regarding the ITV Border Report.

ITV Border report on the Thirlmere zip wire proposals. Watch the report, see what you think about the views expressed, then read what our CEO, Douglas Chalmers has to say.
 "Zip wires over Thirlmere to boost Cumbria tourism? Who believes that?
 The debate over the planning application to erect eight zip lines over the open water of Thirlmere is coming to head as the deadline for comments is on 12 January.
 Friends of the Lake District has already clearly outlined the planning and landscape reasons why this development should not go ahead – that it would conflict with National Park purposes and planning policy, is inappropriate and so would destroy landscape character, visual amenity and tranquillity.
 This is what it says in our official response, and what these technical phrases actually mean is that this proposal would deprive visitors to our National Park of the special benefits they currently experience for free.
 This is why I have been surprised and disappointed by the reactions of Cumbria’s Local Enterprise Partnership and of Cumbria Tourism. The LEP’s Strategic Economic Plan 2014-2024 lists “Vibrant rural and visitor economy” as a priority. Between 2015 and 2016 visitor numbers to Cumbria and the Lake District rose to over 45 million, bringing £2.72 billion into the County and supporting 36,240 full time equivalent jobs. Actual job opportunities created, bearing in mind that many people want to work part time, is over 62,000, 20% of Cumbria’s employment. Anecdotally, we welcomed even more visitors in 2017.
 So when the LEP and Cumbria Tourism say that our businesses need greater visitor numbers, it is hard to argue, and yet visitor numbers are increasing already. Do we know why?
 Perhaps a weaker sterling and nervousness over travelling has kept more people at home in the UK, but they then still have to choose to come to our County. And we do know why they do that. Cumbria Tourism’s own figures show that almost 70% of visitors come here because of our scenery and landscape, and that over half are drawn by the atmospheric characteristics of the area, using words such as “peaceful”, “relaxing” and “beautiful”.
 And this is why the attitude of Cumbria LEP and especially Cumbria Tourism baffles me. I have been listening to rural businessmen across Cumbria for nearly 20 years, and to a man and woman, everyone has acknowledged the importance of our spectacular landscape in attracting customers. They recognise the value, the uniqueness of this place.
 So why would Cumbria LEP and Cumbria Tourism support plans that will obviously benefit one single organisation and yet threatens the livelihoods of many others by damaging the very features that attracts so many of their customers, and that gives them a unique advantage over competitors outside Cumbria?
 Some may try to dismiss this as a spurious argument, but zip wires can be erected anywhere. We have one Thirlmere. Nowhere else looks exactly like it. We have one Lake District. It has a world famous reputation and is now recognised as a World Heritage Site. Why spoil all this, a prime example of how a landscape can benefit the local economy, to satisfy the business ambitions of one organisation?
 If the Lake District Park Authority can ignore its own planning policy and undermine its status as a World Heritage Site, then nowhere in this country will ever be safe from inappropriate development again."

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #148 on: 11:31:28, 05/01/18 »
Some may try to dismiss this as a spurious argument, but zip wires can be erected anywhere. We have one Thirlmere. Nowhere else looks exactly like it. We have one Lake District. It has a world famous reputation and is now recognised as a World Heritage Site. Why spoil all this, a prime example of how a landscape can benefit the local economy, to satisfy the business ambitions of one organisation?
 If the Lake District Park Authority can ignore its own planning policy and undermine its status as a World Heritage Site, then nowhere in this country will ever be safe from inappropriate development again."

Well said.
Not all those who wander are lost

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #149 on: 12:31:49, 05/01/18 »
Heard on the local news last night (ITV Border) that Honister Slate Mine has now submitted an application for a Zip Wire.

If the Thirlmere Zip Wire ges the go-ahead, then expect to see a deluge of applications for all sorts of things.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy