Author Topic: Meindl Minnesota pro gtx  (Read 4458 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Meindl Minnesota pro gtx
« Reply #15 on: 17:36:20, 02/07/18 »
. Why the [censored] do shoemakers curve the end in towards the big toe.

Some years ago (and newly married) SWMBO suggested to me that she would like some of those shoes with long pointy toes (a bit like Jester shoes). I suggested that it would not be a good idea as she wouldn't be able to get close enough to the sink to wash the pots.

Ouch...……………………….

Ronin83

« Reply #16 on: 19:10:01, 02/07/18 »

The curvature puts space in front of the toes while holding the foot in place. If shoes followed the actual shape of the foot, all your toes would bump up against the front of the toe box and you'd end up with blisters or bruised toenails or both.

Wrong.
1, the toe box isnt what holds your foot in place, at least it shouldn't be. Also to do that it would need to be touching your toes which makes no sense to your statement.
The mid foot is where your shoes should hold you and maybe the heel, but around the heel are sensitive nerves and of course your achilles tendon, so mostly the mid foot.

2, proof that you're wrong are several minimalist or 'barefoot' brands or models like vivobarefoot, altra, lems, Xero shoes, Merrell(trail glove, vapour glove), new balance minimus, freet.
All of which have foot shape design, the widest point being the big toe, mimicking the shape of a natural healthy foot(if you want to see one of those look at people who have spent their lives barefoot).

Most shoes/boots begin curving in from the ball/last big toe knuckle, NOT from the end of the big toe, hence it pushes your big toe inwards potentially causing a bunion and a host of other problems.

Kukkudrill

« Reply #17 on: 20:31:57, 02/07/18 »
1, the toe box isnt what holds your foot in place, at least it shouldn't be. Also to do that it would need to be touching your toes which makes no sense to your statement.
The mid foot is where your shoes should hold you and maybe the heel, but around the heel are sensitive nerves and of course your achilles tendon, so mostly the mid foot.

True, but if the mid foot isn't 100% effective in holding your foot in place (especially if you're descending a steep slope), the curvature on the toe box will stop your foot sliding forward more gradually than if the toes banged up against the front of the toe box all at once. I suspect that if the toe box followed the shape of the foot, you'd have to tie your shoes a lot tighter.

Can't comment on barefoot shoes because I've never used them, but there must be a reason why most hiking shoe manufacturers continue to use the conventional shape.
Make the most of the available light

Ronin83

« Reply #18 on: 21:19:56, 02/07/18 »
''there must be a reason" argument.
 :(
McDonald's must be popular because it serves really good food. Couldnt possibly be anything else.

More likely its to do with a fashionable look and following the status quo.

I have used barefoot shoes, along with plenty of others and they grip your foot actually better in general.
Unfortunately I haven't found any with the same capabilities of good hiking boots or the ability to last.

Ronin83

« Reply #19 on: 21:22:47, 02/07/18 »
"True, but if the mid foot isn't 100% effective in holding your foot in place (especially if you're descending a steep slope)"  

The ankle part of the boot will catch you, which is why low shoes don't suit hills/mountains/steep descents

Kukkudrill

« Reply #20 on: 21:46:09, 02/07/18 »
More likely its to do with a fashionable look and following the status quo.

Maybe, if we're talking about normal shoes, but I don't think fashion is such a factor where hiking boots are concerned.

The ankle part of the boot will catch you, which is why low shoes don't suit hills/mountains/steep descents[/size]

I did an Irish LDW recently wearing tall (8-inch) boots, but I still found my feet sliding forwards on steep descents. And I had them laced up securely all the way to the top.

Ronin83

« Reply #21 on: 22:59:09, 02/07/18 »
And you blame that on the toe box not being pointy or narrow enough?
That would be a rather strange explanation.

A bit of slide is inevitable after a while which is why you should have a good gap at the end. Also if you're side stepping on steep bits then your foot won't just be going forwards the whole time. Not always possible though

Kukkudrill

« Reply #22 on: 14:54:59, 03/07/18 »
And you blame that on the toe box not being pointy or narrow enough?
That would be a rather strange explanation.

What I'm saying is:

(1) The boot shaft does not always stop your foot sliding forward in the boot (this in response to your categoric statement that it does).

(2) "If the mid foot isn't 100% effective in holding your foot in place (especially if you're descending a steep slope), the curvature on the toe box will stop your foot sliding forward more gradually than if the toes banged up against the front of the toe box all at once."

Ronin83

« Reply #23 on: 19:28:01, 03/07/18 »
Can we continue this in a new thread? Goin way off topic here

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 21:15:14, 03/07/18 »
The ankle part of the boot will catch you, which is why low shoes don't suit hills/mountains/steep descents

'Fraid I have to disagree with this.

I wear walking shoes due to an achilles tendon problem which is aggravated by the ankle cuff of a boot.  I have never had foot within shoe slippage issues on steep descents in them.  I have never had any sideways slippage either on wonky hillside paths.  My heels never slip out of the heel cup on ascents (or when pulling my foot out of a bog  ;D  ).  I also have a wide forefoot and my toes seem to like wiggle room too.  Oh, and despite being nubuck/suede, they are waterproof (apart from when the water from said bog goes in over the top of them).

The only thing I can think of that would cause heel slippage (or any kind of slippage) is an incorrectly fitted boot and ineffective lacing.

Ronin83

« Reply #25 on: 14:07:19, 09/07/18 »

'Fraid I have to disagree with this.

I wear walking shoes due to an achilles tendon problem which is aggravated by the ankle cuff of a boot.  I have never had foot within shoe slippage issues on steep descents in them.  I have never had any sideways slippage either on wonky hillside paths.  My heels never slip out of the heel cup on ascents (or when pulling my foot out of a bog  ;D  ).  I also have a wide forefoot and my toes seem to like wiggle room too.  Oh, and despite being nubuck/suede, they are waterproof (apart from when the water from said bog goes in over the top of them).

The only thing I can think of that would cause heel slippage (or any kind of slippage) is an incorrectly fitted boot and ineffective lacing.

Thats interesting and refreshing to hear aside from the adamantly maximal, boot brigade.
Im open minded but ive been thru mud and water up to my ankles, so yeh, sticking to boots for now(except summer).
I do feel more comfortable in trainers tho.
Anyway.
In the end I went in store to get my 2 orders.
The scrapa r Evo gtx feel good so I kept them. Size 9.
The Scarpa terra gtx were also size 9 but we're we're shorter than my size 8 UA trainers!! Also the toe box is very narrow. Returned them.
So annoying that brands can't stick to atleast their own sizing.

Ive also ordered some leather haix high liability gtx army boots, used grade 1 from eBay, nice and cheap, size 9. They'll be my [censored] weather bangers, as long as they fit ok.

I think this is a good compromise. The r evos do feel like they'll last and ill take good care of them. Any suede experts here? The tongue is like a softshell material.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy