Author Topic: What do you want to see in a walking video report?  (Read 3662 times)

Maggot

Re: What do you want to see in a walking video report?
« Reply #30 on: 20:34:35, 09/03/19 »
Maggot you do come across as very very direct, and some may suggest you want to stir things up.  It would be nice if, instead of always shouting about how much you know about kit etc , you posted a trip report or two.

Paul

Let's look at this. Someone asked a specific question. I have given some very specific answers.  I haven't said "yours are rubbish" or "you should give up"

Like others I have been very clear about suggestions that I would like to see in videos.

Why beat around the bush?  I don't shout about stuff i know, but yes I am willing to challenge viewpoints.

As for making a report, I actually suggested we do that earlier this morning  :o

roughyed

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 20:35:01, 09/03/19 »
Well I liked the Alastair Humphreys vid.  But then again I'm biased as I know a few people in it...!

roughyed

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 20:45:14, 09/03/19 »
Personally, I wouldn't get too caught up with 'story' in a trip report style video.  If you want an award winning vid, or be classed as best in the youtube hiking field, then yes you will need a story (the heroes journey, jeopardy, etc) but for 99% of us, it will probably get in the way!

The Humphreys microadventure vid had a 'story' because thats what the video was designed to do, it was to show that you can go out 5pm to 9am and get some time outdoors around work.  He had a  list of shots he would of wanted and an idea of what the video would be before even going out. 

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 01:50:32, 10/03/19 »

Let's look at this. Someone asked a specific question. I have given some very specific answers.  I haven't said "yours are rubbish" or "you should give up"

Like others I have been very clear about suggestions that I would like to see in videos.

Why beat around the bush?  I don't shout about stuff i know, but yes I am willing to challenge viewpoints.

As for making a report, I actually suggested we do that earlier this morning  :o
Well get on and do one, then  O0

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 12:20:13, 10/03/19 »
Reading this thread (been a busy week, just catching up) - not sure what Maggot said which is rubbing people the wrong way?

The question was 'what would you want to see?', so by its very nature you end up with a wish list.  People are fully aware there are limitations behind getting all this done, principally time, editorial and photography skills, and actual motivation to do so.    For what it's worth, I really enjoy all the videos and trip reports posted here and never think 'oh if only they did x it'd be so much better' - I just like people sharing their love for the outdoors in a way which makes them happy.

Brian's original horse-shoe post was compelling and he's really not very far from upping the quality for v little effort, which I guess is why he asked.  I wouldn't worry about the expectations at all, personally when I click a link I expect nothing - if it's in HD or above I'm immediately happy with some pretty scenery, the audio needs to be obnoxious for it to bother.  Think most are the same?  You understand you're getting a home movie of sorts.

Ronin83

« Reply #35 on: 08:46:39, 16/03/19 »
Only made a few so far, but I've found myself going towards more fun, joking around, having 'things to see'. IveIalways liked 'things' on walks like prehistoric monuments or something. I never found the idea of marching full speed and missing everything around you at all interesting. Seems people just want to walk further and faster nowdays.

I feel theres too many videos which are way too serious and dull. Walking can be fun and uplifting and I will be trying to show that more now.

Getting the sound right is definitely the hard, but important part.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy