Author Topic: Wild Camping  (Read 8386 times)

Birdman

• Veteran Member
Re: Wild Camping
« Reply #45 on: 11:14:02, 23/12/20 »

My point is don't feel guilty about discreet wild camping. Nature is ours.

It's not about feeling guilty. It's about not wanting to have to fight somebody or getting disturbed. I don't enjoy my wild camp if I'm on edge.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 17:35:13, 23/12/20 »
I agree I hate it when I'm on edge, (and I have been more than once) so always try to avoid this problem if I can.

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 09:12:30, 24/12/20 »
I would also struggle to sleep if I felt vulnerable (wouldn't we all?), so I wouldn't set up camp on a path or near a road etc. Setting up camp 'illegally' is different; one view would be that any wild camp in England is illegal. That doesn't give me a moments thought I'm afraid, our access legislation leaves a lot to be desired.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 12:19:25, 24/12/20 »
Same as me, I too don't give it a moments thought about it being illegal, if I need to camp, then I need to camp.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 13:15:03, 24/12/20 »
Certainly no guilty feelings on my part, either. But, on the other hand, I don't want to cause any offence to anyone, and I certainly don't want to have a confrontation with an irate farmer just as I am about to drop off to sleep! So I am always discreet.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 13:23:13, 24/12/20 »
Yes that's it. I just don't want to cause conflict or offence, or being worried about that. I don't give a toss about legality, as I will be camping according to "leave no trace" principles. Nobody would even know I have camped there apart from the grass being a bit flattened, which will have recovered within a day.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 14:08:58, 24/12/20 »
I agree but forgot to mention it, I too am discrete. I wake up, get packed and stroll on to a stop somewhere else for breakfast, hygiene and generally sorting myself out.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 14:42:14, 24/12/20 »
It's the complete opposite with me, I love the camping as much as walking through changing scenery and I don't get on the move till quite late. While I'm always apprehensive of a farmer coming along, it has never happened yet, and the chances of anyone else are extremely slim considering I walk in places where I might not see a person in four days.
The only times I have packed up and got away quickly were to escape strong winds that developed overnight.
« Last Edit: 14:46:13, 24/12/20 by fernman »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy