Author Topic: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere  (Read 39881 times)

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere
« Reply #270 on: 07:55:41, 16/02/18 »
Hmmm...
Something just isn't adding up here  :-\

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #271 on: 09:43:11, 17/02/18 »
I notice that the Honister Slate mine is trying for a zip wire again.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #272 on: 10:40:44, 17/02/18 »
I notice that the Honister Slate mine is trying for a zip wire again.
The link to object, should you wish to, is at the top of this thread.
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35920.0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #273 on: 13:27:09, 20/02/18 »
I have just read on facebook that Mike Turner has scrapped the zip wire plans across Thirlmere!!!!!

I will have another look to make sure it is true, it seems to be on ITV Border news

:)  :)  :) :)

Here it is
http://www.itv.com/news/border/update/2018-02-20/controversial-zip-wire-plans-scrapped/

I feel all emotional, so relieved, but we should not have been put through all this anyway  :)

Thinking further about it, I wish this had been assessed and thrown out by the planners and not withdrawn for the reasons Turnip has stated in the ITV border article. It should have been refused anyway regardless of any MOD objections. I wonder if he will look somewhere else now, let it not be in the National Park then and somewhere where visitors actually need to be encouraged to visit.
« Last Edit: 13:41:49, 20/02/18 by April »
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #274 on: 14:10:31, 20/02/18 »
Thanks for the pm alerting me to this April - it is great news, though I'm with you - I wish it had been thrown out by the LDNPA - Turnip may be able to resurrect this at a later date, as the only reason he gives is the MOD one.   Still - today we should celebrate that Thirlmere is safe for now!!

And - thanks April for your passion and drive on this - it made me get off my backside and get involved in the movement to get this plan chucked out.

Paul

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #275 on: 14:10:50, 20/02/18 »
Great news, thanks for the message.

April if I was closer to you we would be hugging and jumping up and down!

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #276 on: 14:12:26, 20/02/18 »
Great news April    :)

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #277 on: 14:57:01, 20/02/18 »
Yeah good riddance!
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #278 on: 17:04:55, 20/02/18 »
That is really good news, but I too wish that it had gone before the Planners and had been kicked out for environmental reasons and that fact that it goes against the Sandford Principle.   Otherwise we may end up fighting another application elsewhere in the Lakes.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #279 on: 17:42:10, 20/02/18 »
Or has he been tipped off that it wasn't going his way in the planning committee, and decided to pull the application rather than lose face?  We'll never know - but I am going to celebrate tonight anyway, and it won't be with a turnip.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #280 on: 17:46:47, 20/02/18 »
I have just read on facebook that Mike Turner has scrapped the zip wire plans across Thirlmere!!!!!

April,
It is good news and I don't  want to rain on your parade but, as I read it, the plan has not been scrapped - it has been withdrawn. In planning terms, if an application has been withdrawn, it can be resubmitted at any time whereas if it is rejected by the Planning Authority and this rejection goes "on the record"  it cannot be resubmitted for several years (4 or 6 comes to mind but not sure). If it is resubmitted, the previous rejection will be brought to the attention of the PA.

Bit of background.  I made a successful objection to a planning application in my village and it was withdrawn by the developer only to pop up again 18 months later revamped to take account of my original objection.  On the second occasion I made another successful objection with the help of a planning consultant and the application was again withdrawn, this time on the eve of the Planning Committee meeting - which means it can still recur at any time in the future.

Celebrate now - you deserve it; but stay vigilant!  If they can get their ducks in a row vis-a-vis the MOD they'll be back.
Solvitur Ambulando

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #281 on: 17:59:14, 20/02/18 »
That is really good news, but I too wish that it had gone before the Planners and had been kicked out for environmental reasons and that fact that it goes against the Sandford Principle.   Otherwise we may end up fighting another application elsewhere in the Lakes.

Great news, and I agree with all LL says above, for the reasons Ninthace mentions.
Not all those who wander are lost

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #282 on: 18:17:02, 20/02/18 »
Just been watching the report about the zip wire on our local ITV Border News.  They ended the report by saying that Mike Turner was still passionate about having a zip wire in the Lakes.  So I fully expect another appli5to be submitted within the next year or so. 

I think it's just a matter of where and when.   He's already tried to put one in Glenridding and now Thirlmere - so where next I wonder.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #283 on: 19:19:46, 20/02/18 »
And - thanks April for your passion and drive on this - it made me get off my backside and get involved in the movement to get this plan chucked out.

You are welcome, I do feel very strongly about this, I did wonder if that had come across  :D

April if I was closer to you we would be hugging and jumping up and down!

:)

I think it's just a matter of where and when.   He's already tried to put one in Glenridding and now Thirlmere - so where next I wonder.

Indeed. Now the decision at Honister is even more important. If they get the green light there it will encourage Turnip to submit another zip wire plan somewhere else if not a re-jigged plan for Thirlmere where it won't affect the flight path of the jets. It will be interesting to see the MOD response in eight or so weeks.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #284 on: 21:01:13, 20/02/18 »
Thinking further about it, I wish this had been assessed and thrown out by the planners and not withdrawn for the reasons Turnip has stated in the ITV border article. It should have been refused anyway regardless of any MOD objections  
Absolutely,  O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy