Author Topic: Offa's Dyke Path - Advice, Tips and Help  (Read 9854 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Offa's Dyke Path - Advice, Tips and Help
« Reply #15 on: 18:14:53, 13/10/18 »
As far as transport to the start/finish is concerned I can get to Prestatyn in the morning for a half day walk to Bodfari but at the other end I'd probably have to stay the night in Chepstow.

On the other hand I like the idea of finishing in Prestatyn early afternoon and being home for teatime. As anyone whow's done multi day walks knows, it's a nice feeling doing that last day knowing you are going home to your own bed that night  :D :D

I did north to south and enjoyed the first half day to Bodfari.  Personally at the end of a LDW I like to stay overnight rather than rush back home.  Gives me a chance to unwind and reflect  O0
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:26:22, 13/10/18 »

I did north to south and enjoyed the first half day to Bodfari.  Personally at the end of a LDW I like to stay overnight rather than rush back home.  Gives me a chance to unwind and reflect  O0

I just hate long drawn out journeys home, I don't mind it going to the start. When I did the Pembrokeshire Coast path, it was a morning bus to Havefordwest and then train journeys that lasted over 8 hours to get home, the journey to Manchester had about 24 stops and it was a long day.

Getting to/from Chepstow is about 4 and a half hours, getting to/from Prestatyn is about 3 and a half so if I finished there before lunch time I still have a few hours to unwind and reflect before heading home  :D

Like I said, it might depend on accommodation when I go to book as some parts don't seem to have many options.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 20:37:44, 13/10/18 »
Yep accommodation is tight in some places so worth booking as far in advance as possible  O0
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:49:17, 13/10/18 »
Yep accommodation is tight in some places so worth booking as far in advance as possible  O0

If I could do it now, I would. Unfortunately I have to hand in my holiday form along with the rest of my colleagues and hope they get back to me quickly but I'll be surprised if I get them back before December like most years. In the last few years I have got the weeks that I asked for but I can't risk booking accommodation then getting different holiday dates.

Can't wait until I win the lottery/premium bonds and can retire and go wherever I like, whenever I like  :D

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:42:56, 13/10/18 »
A number of the on-line booking sites allow you to cancel free of charge a short time before you go.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 22:05:33, 13/10/18 »
A number of the on-line booking sites allow you to cancel free of charge a short time before you go.

I know but sadly the others don't so I stand to lose a bit of money if my holiday dates are not the ones that i hope for. Once I get my dates I can press on and book all my long distance walks for the year.  O0

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:26:38, 14/10/18 »
If you'd like the details of the accommodation I used pm me  O0
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:06:06, 14/10/18 »
If you'd like the details of the accommodation I used pm me  O0

I read your TR the other day and you list them on that  O0 Oh, and you'll be pleased to know that your photos are once again on the report  O0

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 16:23:50, 14/10/18 »
So they are, probably cos Photo Bucket are offering me another cheap deal if I'll sign up with them  :o
Where there's a will ...

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 19:57:45, 14/10/18 »
We walked it at the beginning of last June over 12 days N to S, see my planning and trip report here:
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=34086.0
You are right about the wind, it was mostly coming from the south or south west so we were walking into it most of the time but didn’t trouble us too much. Except the last couple of days when the temperature rose, it was humid and there was no wind at all, how we longed for a breeze then! We also used the Trailblazer guide and found it good, hardly used the GPS. Most people do walk it the other way, we only met one other person going our way and she was doing JOGLE. And everybody we stopped and chatted to said we were the only ones they’d met going N to S. The main reason we did that was because when we started to book we realised that we would be in Hay on Wye during the festival and there was no accommodation left! And I’d already booked the time off work. Also we drove from Suffolk and found a B&B in Prestatyn where we could leave the car for £2 a day. We then got the train back to Prestatyn the day after we finished. I think Chepstow is a better finish than Prestatyn but you still have the Clwydian hills near the end if heading north. I think it helped having the Hay onWye to Pandy section in the Black mountains near the end rather than the beginning. If you need your bags transported there is no baggage transfer service but most of the B&Bs offer this service and we just ended up using a couple of taxis which all worked fine. Don’t forget that the end (or beginning) is not actually in Chepstow its another 1.5 miles. We stayed in a mixture of B&Bs, farmhouses and pubs and all were good, they are listed on the link but let me know if you want any more info. I don’t think we booked until about Feb/March time and we managed to get most of where we wanted to go.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 08:12:42, 18/10/18 »
Can't wait until I win the lottery/premium bonds and can retire and go wherever I like, whenever I like  :D

I’m retiring in March next year - fed up with my husband sending me photos of his walks while I’m at work!  O0

peapod21

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:03:47, 18/10/18 »
Well, I've picked my dates, planned my itinerary and have got a walking buddy too.

To those who have done it before, how far in advance did you book you accommodation? I'll be camping for the most part so was wondering if there was still a need to book campsites and pitches as far in advance?
You have one life, make the most of it.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:07:48, 18/10/18 »
When you going?  We're doing it over Jun/Jul and already have accommodation booked, but then we're using b&b's.  I guess if you're planning on camping you can leave it later, or not at all if you're wild camping?
Where there's a will ...

dank86

« Reply #28 on: 02:44:06, 14/12/18 »
I started it last year but had a gear malfunction so going to re attempt in April I reckon probably north to south as well. Im based near Chepstow so walking home is nicer I reckon.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 08:02:11, 14/12/18 »
When you going?  We're doing it over Jun/Jul and already have accommodation booked, but then we're using b&b's.  I guess if you're planning on camping you can leave it later, or not at all if you're wild camping?

Weird.  This comment was in reply to a query about the C2C but just seen its in an Offas Dyke thread  :o

For the avoidance of doubt it's the C2C I'm doing next Jun/Jul  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy