Author Topic: Laminated Maps v. Map cases  (Read 5471 times)

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
Laminated Maps v. Map cases
« on: 23:08:05, 26/12/17 »
For some of my Christmas presents, I received a new Ortleib map case, which I needed as my old one split and also a laminated OS map for an area I visit often.

If I go to a place I don't visit that often, I am happy to settle for the cheaper map in a case but it seems to make sense to get laminated for frequently visited areas, so they do not wear out so quickly. However, to be honest, I cannot decide which I actually prefer in the field. A laminated map will not fold up easily to keep the area you are walking visible, so you have to keep opening it up. A paper map is easily folded in a case to show the part you want, especially if you remove the cardboard folder, though if you have to refold it, this can be a pain in wind or rain.

What do others think about this?

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Laminated Maps v. Map cases
« Reply #1 on: 23:25:49, 26/12/17 »
I prefer paper maps in a map case if there is any chance of damp and in my pocket if not. The map case also allows you to have the map to hand but not constantly be holding it.
My son hates the map case and much prefers laminated maps.

So one vote each way and no help in you reaching a conclusion.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 06:54:39, 27/12/17 »
Like many, I have thought "Oooh, laminated OS maps - that's a good idea" in the past, But for me, the inconvenience of the added bulk and the inability to fold them to the required section (or "reverse" fold them, as you can with a double-sided paper map) makes them more of a hindrance than a help.

Brilliant in theory, [censored] in reality!  :D

Some European and Canadian maps are printed on a plasticky material that works much more like real paper, and these are pretty good, but i'm sorry to say the OS version doesn't do it for me.  :(

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:30:45, 27/12/17 »
I've solved it by no longer carrying maps  O0
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:32:01, 27/12/17 »
Ditto

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:59:07, 27/12/17 »
The town centre library has mostly laminated ones now, and I borrowed a couple in September. I thought they were horrible, they were bulky and impossible to lay flat, to the point that it put me off using them.

As my preference is to have my map easily to hand rather than keep fishing it out of rucksack or pocket, I have a Aquaquest 'The Trail' map case which is truly waterproof, although it is not easy to fit a OS map in it and they come out rather creased.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:12:21, 27/12/17 »
I print out the mapping I need on A4 double sided at 1:12500 using MemoryMap and put it in a plastic file wallet. That will fold into 4 and slip in a pocket. The map can be put in the recycling after use. The wallets cost pence, last ages and can be binned when they finally split.
 I used to have map cases years ago but they were too cumbersome. I felt like a Christmas tree and it flapped around if it is windy. Moreover, it was a real pain to refold the map and put it back in the case. I have a laminated map for the areas I walk a lot, such as Dartmoor and Exmoor but that stays in the backpack “just in case”. I have never ever actually used it in the field in anger.
Solvitur Ambulando

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:43:15, 27/12/17 »
When I had a walking partner, I put the paper map in an Ortleib map case and attached it to his rucksack. It was readily available and no flapping around.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:18:02, 27/12/17 »
If I'm not printing the relevant area out onto an A4 sheet of paper, I prefer a map case rather than a laminated map.  Easier to fold, cheaper to buy.  I just tuck the map case in my rucksack waistband which solves the flapping about problem whilst remaining easily accessible.

My walks are never long enough to have the problem of refolding the map in the wind/rain  ;D

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:52:40, 27/12/17 »
I agree with all the criticisms of laminated maps re folding/bulk etc and would also add that I find the laminating makes the small details slightly fuzzy and less easy to read.
Some European and Canadian maps are printed on a plasticky material that works much more like real paper, and these are pretty good, but i'm sorry to say the OS version doesn't do it for me.  :(

Sad that 'waterproof paper' never caught on as it was an amazing product - a photocopy medium marketed  by Xerox in the nineties, which printed very clearly, was pretty much the same thickness as 80gsm paper, didn't tear or smudge. I used sell it or at least tried to. Whenever I see notices which have been laminated then pinned up so the rain goes straight into the paper  wonder why it didn't become popular here.

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 01:14:13, 28/12/17 »
The Harvey/BMC maps are printed on sheets of polyester which handles very well even when soaking wet, unfortunately they only do selected areas.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:26:26, 28/12/17 »
I went through a phase of printing my maps on waterproof tear resistant A4 paper but I gave up because while the paper was water resistant my printer ink wasn’t. I was expensive too.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:41:45, 28/12/17 »
while the paper was water resistant my printer ink wasn’t

Inkjet also smudges when you try and use a highlighter to mark your route. Laserjet doesn't, but who wants a black & white map?

Rather be walking

« Reply #13 on: 13:19:19, 28/12/17 »
The Harvey/BMC maps are printed on sheets of polyester which handles very well even when soaking wet, unfortunately they only do selected areas.

Yes they're good aren't they, shame they don't cover the whole of Britain.

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:25:50, 28/12/17 »
I find paper maps don't last long as they tend to disintegrate along the folds. Laminate ones last for ages.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy