Author Topic: Laminated Maps v. Map cases  (Read 5472 times)

photonut

Re: Laminated Maps v. Map cases
« Reply #15 on: 21:54:00, 28/12/17 »
In my limited experience (only about 8 months of plodding around the countryside with a map) I have used the OS Active maps..... which I think is the laminated maps everyone is referring to.  Admittedly when compared to a paper map they are a little more bulky but not I what would say unmanageable.  Damn good for swatting bugs and if they happen to get muddy they just wipe clean.  No issues in the rain either.

I carry my map in my trouser thigh pocket, always folded as you buy them.  However, before I go out walking I make sure it is folded with the correct side for my walk and on the spine/ fold line of the section I'm using I put a small piece of PVC tape as a marker.  When I want to look at the map (for me... quite frequently) I look for the piece of PVC tape and open the map up at that area.  Once I'm done, refold and put it back in my pocket.  Job done.

I have to add.... I've only used this method in moderate to strong winds and I appreciate that in a real 'hoolie' my method might be difficult to exercise :D

Cheers
Lee
« Last Edit: 22:33:08, 28/12/17 by photonut »

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:06:28, 29/12/17 »

I print out the mapping I need on A4 double sided at 1:12500 using MemoryMap and put it in a plastic file wallet. That will fold into 4 and slip in a pocket. The map can be put in the recycling after use. The wallets cost pence, last ages and can be binned when they finally split.
 I used to have map cases years ago but they were too cumbersome. I felt like a Christmas tree and it flapped around if it is windy. Moreover, it was a real pain to refold the map and put it back in the case. I have a laminated map for the areas I walk a lot, such as Dartmoor and Exmoor but that stays in the backpack “just in case”. I have never ever actually used it in the field in anger.

This ^^ except I also do the print on Tough Print paper. It's not cheap but you can print on both sides. Using the correct inkjet version I've never had a problem with the ink running, I've even accidently put one through the washing machine in a trouser pocket and it was still usable afterwards.

I keep the sections I've printed in a folder for reuse on repeat visits to an area

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toughprint-Waterproof-Paper-Inkjet-Sheets/dp/B000MMUA4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514545518&sr=8-1&keywords=tough+print+paper
Enjoy every sandwich

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:16:10, 29/12/17 »
This ^^ except I also do the print on Tough Print paper. It's not cheap but you can print on both sides. Using the correct inkjet version I've never had a problem with the ink running, I've even accidently put one through the washing machine in a trouser pocket and it was still usable afterwards.

I keep the sections I've printed in a folder for reuse on repeat visits to an area

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toughprint-Waterproof-Paper-Inkjet-Sheets/dp/B000MMUA4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514545518&sr=8-1&keywords=tough+print+paper

Thanks for the link - looks ideal for use as you suggest - and one heck of a lot cheaper than the Xerox version listed below it. Selling at Xerox products at Xerox prices was always a struggle and no wonder. But the commission was good. In the days before mobiles and trackers non-one knew where I was most of the time and as long as I exceeded targets didn't care. Happy days
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:53:18, 29/12/17 »
It was Tough Print paper that I used too but the ink from my printer still smudged in the wet. I remember one walk that involved thigh high wet bracken. When I took my map out of thigh pocket it was virtually unreadable.
Plastic pockets and ordinary paper cracked the problem.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ralph

« Reply #19 on: 18:24:47, 29/12/17 »
For the last few years I have used  Harvey maps for most of my walking when needed. They are waterproof, tearproof & lightweight. There may not be mapping for the whole country but all the popular areas are covered. Maybe a little expensive but I think it is worth it for quality of the maps.

Lemmy

« Reply #20 on: 19:13:35, 29/12/17 »
Never fold or mark maps - if you're captured even evidence of recent folds could be useful to the enemy!  ;D

Ralph

« Reply #21 on: 19:21:39, 29/12/17 »
Lemmy, I agree. Recently  I was held captive  and forced to drink several pints of beer against  my will in the Nags Head  in Edale. I gave nothing away and was released  at 11:30pm.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:25:49, 29/12/17 »
 ;D
Where there's a will ...

FOX160

« Reply #23 on: 19:38:52, 29/12/17 »
Laminated makes life so easy and less flafth

Ralph

« Reply #24 on: 19:46:36, 29/12/17 »
Fox160, The Harvey Maps are nothing like
the OS Laminated maps, much lighter & slimmer.

FOX160

« Reply #25 on: 19:54:09, 29/12/17 »
Ralph I was referring to the question of OS map or case

Ralph

« Reply #26 on: 20:00:20, 29/12/17 »
With  Harvey Maps you won't  need a case.

FOX160

« Reply #27 on: 20:06:02, 29/12/17 »
Lol nor with a laminated OS map !

Ralph

« Reply #28 on: 20:22:18, 29/12/17 »
I suggest  that you  have a look at  both OS and Harvey Maps.The difference  is very noticeable. I admit that the  Harvey's may seem different at first but persevere  and you will be a convert.

Ralph

« Reply #29 on: 20:49:07, 29/12/17 »
It's not been mentioned yet but has anyone considerd the Harvey Ultramap range. Lightweight,tearproof & waterproof and measuring only 7×15 cms..
The scale is 1:40,000. I seem to be using this more than any other map recently.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy