Author Topic: Which (Android) Tablet  (Read 1187 times)

myxpyr

Which (Android) Tablet
« on: 19:39:14, 15/01/20 »
Does anyone take a tablet with them when going on (multi-day) walks? I'm thinking about getting one and I'm trying to evaluate some. Obviously it needs to be fairly rugged or have a shock proof case. Not too heavy and not too big. My main consideration for getting one is the lager screen display for digital maps(compared with a smart phone)
Thanks

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Which (Android) Tablet
« Reply #1 on: 11:30:00, 16/01/20 »
I once took an Ipad mini with me and found it was not really the right size for my hands (too wide) so I now take an 8" x 4.5" Google tablet with me, the 4.5" width is ideal for my hand size so it's very useable. It's older now so doesn't allow any more Google updates but it still works very well.  I have always been impressed with the quality of the screen so I'm reluctant to let it go. I always take my Three Wi-Fi pod with me, that's my router, or use other wi-fi sources (cafes etc) when I'm eating and drinking in public places. I've downloaded the app MobileVOIP and I can make phone calls if I need to, receive and make emails etc and use it to download all of my maps as well. I presume my tablet size is about the same as a phone 'phablet?'

So from my experience, if you plan to use it while hiking make sure it fits comfortably in one hand, then decide which model to buy.

hawthornpaul

« Reply #2 on: 13:55:18, 16/01/20 »
I've used a 7" Asus Android tablet for the last six or seven years, it fits unobtrusively in a thigh pocket (in a small map case if it's raining) and the battery lasts all day in aeroplane mode.  For me, the larger display area is a real bonus, especially when zooming in/out and scrolling around.  This is in conjunction with an A4 printout of the area I'm hiking (1:25K OS in a map case, with planned route highlighted).

Battery life is going to be an issue for multi-day walks, you'll need a way to charge the tablet overnight. I carry a USB battery pack that's good for two full charges, in case of emergency.

Also note that not all walking trousers have a thigh pocket large enough to accommodate a 7" tablet securely with the zip/press-studs closed.  Anything larger than a 7" screen is going to be cumbersome and not easy to have stowed away but handy.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:45:22, 16/01/20 »
What is needed is a screen that can be rolled up, so you can just pop it in your thigh pocket. That would be really worth having.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:20:12, 16/01/20 »
I tend to carry mine around my neck in a soft material pouch when I'm eating out or just sitting in a cafe, or I just have it to hand in the top zipped area of my rucksack when I'm actually hiking, or sometimes it around my neck when I'm hiking, it all depends on how I feel at the time. For me it's the maps that matter most, the bigger screen is so much better than on my phone which viewing wise is half the area.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:30:03, 16/01/20 »
I've just looked up tablets on Which, they recommend the Samsung Galaxy tablet A8 8" 2019 model, usually sold around £139 or less.

I've also looked up 'broadband only' and a company called Zen is recommended. I'm going to look into this myself because I resent paying for a Home Phone/Broadband package when I don't need a landline phone.

myxpyr

« Reply #6 on: 21:34:49, 16/01/20 »
Thanks all for responses

myxpyr

« Reply #7 on: 21:46:55, 16/01/20 »
I've just looked up tablets on Which, they recommend the Samsung Galaxy tablet A8 8" 2019 model, usually sold around £139 or less.

I've also looked up 'broadband only' and a company called Zen is recommended. I'm going to look into this myself because I resent paying for a Home Phone/Broadband package when I don't need a landline phone.
This one?https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-Wi-Fi-Inch/dp/B07W6QDF81

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:06:20, 17/01/20 »
Yes, that's the one I think. It came third in 'best buys' in the list on Which, just behind Ipad and mini-Ipad which of course are a whole lot more expensive.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:13:33, 17/01/20 »
Which? verdict: Excellent budget-tablet choice
The Galaxy Tab A8 is the smallest tablet Samsung has launched in years, with a compact 8-inch display and an attractively low price. Can this cut-price tablet take on the likes of Amazon and Lenovo, or is it best avoided? We’ve run it through our full lab test to find out.
Pros

Compact size
    Low price
    Decent all-rounder

Cons

Not the fastest
    Sub-par speakers

Copied this from Which, hope it helps. Actually the second model was another Galaxy, at over £500!

I note the comment about the speakers unless on a phone call I never use mine. When these 'experts' write 'Not the fastest' are they writing about something very noticeable or are they just writing about milliseconds? My Google tablet is 'old' but I haven't noticed anything particular about speed, when compared to my 'superfast' phone, the 'experts' words not mine, I just can't tell!

myxpyr

« Reply #10 on: 11:10:30, 17/01/20 »
Which? verdict: Excellent budget-tablet choice
The Galaxy Tab A8 is the smallest tablet Samsung has launched in years, with a compact 8-inch display and an attractively low price. Can this cut-price tablet take on the likes of Amazon and Lenovo, or is it best avoided? We’ve run it through our full lab test to find out...
..When these 'experts' write 'Not the fastest' are they writing about something very noticeable or are they just writing about milliseconds? My Google tablet is 'old' but I haven't noticed anything particular about speed, when compared to my 'superfast' phone, the 'experts' words not mine, I just can't tell!
Thanks for that. I'm not too fussed about speakers and am unlikely to use the phone function. When I'm in the hills I'll use things like the mapping and also use it as a SatNav in the car.I'm planning on using a data only SIM card or tethering.
Thanks for the info.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:52:56, 17/01/20 »
...I resent paying for a Home Phone/Broadband package when I don't need a landline phone.

I'm not sure if it's the wording here that confuses me, but you will need to pay for landline rental whether you need the phone or not... obviously.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:38:59, 17/01/20 »
Yes, badly put. I can get broadband-only without the landline via Virgin Media cable, the problem is they charge more for this than they charge for their broadband/landline package. Relatives, friends, etc can phone us on the landline but if we phone them we make all of our calls through the internet, so much cheaper.

I have so many 'telephones,' as I'm sure you do as well. It's all getting a bit ridiculous really, our landline is one unit, my mobile phone is a PAYG phone, a MobileVOIP mobile phone and I can also use it to communicate by Skype, Whats App etc, etc. Sometimes I phone people only to be told by them that they don't use that route anymore and they ask if I could phone then on A, B, or C next time!

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:33:54, 17/01/20 »
Ah, I see, Virgin cable service - the outfit who invest a fortune making already ultrafast connections even faster instead of installing round here to relieve us of copper lines >:( , a sore point at the moment!.
A strange coincidence, we've settled on Zen as a new ISP and will order next week.
Despite Boris Johnson's wildly optimistic aspirations, I'm beginning to think we won't get FTTP in our lifetimes (and we live in Manchester!).

Back on topic, you've made me think a cheap, probably used, 7" or 8" device might be worth a punt, if only to gain familiarity with operation of these things and to see how it handles mapping. We have only simple feature phones at the moment on PAYG.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:30:42, 19/01/20 »
I've seriously looked at Zen myself and I just can't make up my mind if its good value or not? They want £28 a month whilst my provider TalkTalk charges me £20 a month, so what are ZEN offering for me to want to part with an extra £8? I note that they claim that the monthly cost will not up whilst a customer is with them and yet they state that its a 12-month contract? So does that mean that when the contract runs out the cost will be the same?

I always change my 12-month contract every year, if I don't the companies that I use (TalkTalk, Plusnet and so on) will automatically put the monthly cost up between £10-£15 from the 13th onwards and beyond. The actual amounts can be checked by logging on to 'Broadbandchoices.'

I also note that to get Zen you still have to pay for line rental, as I understand it the only company in my area where I don't have to pay a line rental is Virgin Media cable. But, its not worth doing because when I last looked they charge more for 'broadband only' than they do for their 'broadband/homephone' offer.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy