Author Topic: Dog owners?  (Read 5506 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Dog owners?
« Reply #15 on: 09:22:58, 01/05/19 »
We are going to have a generation growing up with the idea that [censored]*  grows on trees.
c r a p  apples?
Solvitur Ambulando

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:31:03, 01/05/19 »
Oi... >:(
How many times have we got on the bus with me smelling of the bags in my rucksack pocket :o

I was walking with someone who's dog had a poo. He picked it up with a poo bag, tied the handles, then, pulled an old takeaway plastic box from his rucksack, deposited it in there, lid tight shut, and put it back in his rucksack. I was dead impressed.

ilona

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:56:05, 01/05/19 »
Just one of the reasons why my wife and I decided we would not have dogs, cats or other pets. When asked, or when we are in the mood, we are happy to take out friends dogs for a walk but the beauty is we can then return them to their owners.

I had two separate run-ins with dogs yesterday. The first just barked as he ran towards me, the owner some way behind shouted "it's alright he won't hurt you" and he didn't. Over the years I've heard people say that so many times! The second was a collie off the lead who ran straight at me, who really wanted to bite me but just didn't have the nerve to follow it through. Kept darting at me but then jumped back. His woman owner, in her 30s, then appeared with 6 separate dogs, all on leads. She didn't even acknowledge me, totally ignored the collie barking and darting at me and walked straight to her car parked by the kissing gate 100yds ahead. The collie then forgot me and followed her.

I assumed that the collie was her dog (off the lead) and the others she was walking for payment (on leads) but I'll never know.

As a non-dog owner what always fascinates me is how many people have no control over their dog whatsoever, they spend so much time screaming the dogs name but to no effect and so many seem to believe that their dog actually speaks English! In their embarrassment I have experienced some owners who give their dogs an 'intellectual scolding' to try to impress me that they are sorry and to try to prove to me that they are in charge when in reality they are not.  :)

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 10:04:15, 01/05/19 »

I was walking with someone who's dog had a poo. He picked it up with a poo bag, tied the handles, then, pulled an old takeaway plastic box from his rucksack, deposited it in there, lid tight shut, and put it back in his rucksack. I was dead impressed.

ilona
Thanks ilona O0
I put the poo bags in a plastic roasting bag now, that seems to hide the smell 8)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 10:21:36, 01/05/19 »
ilona

OK till you mix it up with your sandwich box when you're in a rush one morning  :D

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 10:32:26, 01/05/19 »
Dog Owners create  an unnecessary friction between the owners of livestock and the leisure user of the countryside. The dogs gut has the ability to store up nematodes and other parasites, without symptoms, that are harmful to farm animals. These an have a significant effect on the high level of growth/yield required from high value animals and eventually kill. "Stick it and flick it" is a dangerous shortcut that will only encourage dog owners to be lazy in removing their dangerous residues from the countryside.

The pet industry, which lives off the spending of pet owners should be doing more in education and promotion of safe practice, this should not be the work of local authorities, whose precious budgets for the maintenance of our access network are frittered away on reacting anti-social behaviour.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 11:38:28, 01/05/19 »

ilona

Good idea. Do similar sometimes.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 11:39:11, 01/05/19 »
OK till you mix it up with your sandwich box when you're in a rush one morning  :D

Yuk.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 12:51:35, 01/05/19 »
I cannot understand the mentality of someone who would go to the trouble of bagging their dog's excrement only to abandon the bag! Goodness knows, there's enough plastic waste around as it is.
Neither can I.

I’m a dog owner and bags always go home with me.

I have an unfortunate habit though - I absent-mindedly twirl the bag by the loop of the tied up handles - I know one day I’ll lose my grip and the bag will fly dozens of yards through the air landing who knows where.

Dread

« Reply #24 on: 14:01:53, 01/05/19 »
Probably not always the case but don't some people bag up the poo then leave it to pick up on their way back?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 14:29:01, 01/05/19 »
Probably not always the case but don't some people bag up the poo then leave it to pick up on their way back?
  Must be a lot of people still out there judging by some of the harvests I've seen.  Leaving it hanging around with an intention to collect later is still unacceptable in my book.  If they can't deal with the product - they shouldn't have dog.

Now don't get me started on cats, which are apparently allowed to do their business wherever they please - including my lettuce patch.
Solvitur Ambulando

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 15:03:47, 01/05/19 »
Tess usually empties herself within a couple of hundred yards of the car, so I often just bag it and turn back, tucking the bag under the rear windscreen wiper, before continuing with the walk.
It was a joke Richard, meaning people leave rubbish but my dog doesn’t, not an obvious one lol
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 15:14:22, 01/05/19 »
Dog Owners create  an unnecessary friction between the owners of livestock and the leisure user of the countryside.

Really? Oh well too bad! Not all dog owners are the same, just like not all people are small minded for instance and no I’m not talking about you BWW. I am a responsible dog owner and will continue to enjoy my walks and the countryside with him. Some people think it’s acceptable to discard rubbish all over the place, but those that don’t should not be tarred with the same brush should they  :)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 16:12:34, 01/05/19 »
Really? Oh well too bad! Not all dog owners are the same, just like not all people are small minded for instance and no I’m not talking about you BWW. I am a responsible dog owner and will continue to enjoy my walks and the countryside with him. Some people think it’s acceptable to discard rubbish all over the place, but those that don’t should not be tarred with the same brush should they  :)

Little more awareness of their corporate reputation would be helpful. I am well aware that there are many good dog owners, blameless of the sins of a few, but those few are numerous in the scale of livestock owners to dog owning public. This is a walking forum, as an ex member of an LAF having served for 5 years on one I am only too conscious of the speed with which landowners cite dogs as a reason to restrict access.

Further to this at a family gathering, I listened to the problems of farming on the fringes of Stoke on Trent, where the repeated loss of cows from rotting livers due to a particular nemotode hosted by dogs and causing repeated cases because those dog walkers, feel free to allow "blamless fidos" to run off into the nice lush grass to relieve themselves, without being properly educated by the small animal vets that spring up all over modern suburbia.

Rather than feeling slighted by criticism, should the pet industry be looking towards there own corporate responsibilities and not expecting the local authorities to carry the can.

As to dog poo bags either adorn tress or slung in hedge rows, they reappear every fall, and will get broached by wildlife. Pecked by birds, chewed by hedgehogs or whatever and so the parasite chain continues.

« Last Edit: 16:15:35, 01/05/19 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 16:31:31, 01/05/19 »
If you are well aware that not all dog owners are the same, then perhaps a better choice than the standard “dog owners” is in order. BWW I have agreed with and even supported you in the past, while you seek to educate us mere mortals in the ways of the CLA and the corruption of the definitive map and yes you have stated many times of how you used to be a member of a local access forum. Landowners and farmers, although I’m sure not all of them, may jump on any excuse to complain about the likes of walkers in the countryside, so do we pander to them? Ignore them? Get rid of our dogs? Maybe it winds them up when you stray off path too  ;)  I speak for myself so don’t lecture me if you don’t mind, neither you nor I can control everything, just our own behaviour and my conscience is doing just fine.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy