Author Topic: Phone suitable to use with Viewranger and other walk apps  (Read 3030 times)

lostme1

• Veteran Member
The apps on my phone have stopped working due to problems with the Google apps software I think. I took it to a shop and was told the problems are due to the age of the phone and incompatibility with apps. Strange as I hadn't updated anything for ages.

I have a dedicated GPS but I use the phone to record my mileage and is useful when I don't want to also carry my gps. I am looking for a small sim free phone with a good battery life and reasonable price. These three may be incompatible especially as small phones are becoming rarer. I have a small phone Samsung Galaxy S4 mini and a similar size would be nice.

I know other forum members use phones as GPS and would be happy to hear your suggestions. Thanks.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Percy

• Veteran Member
Am I right in thinking you are no longer using this as a/your phone?

If that’s the case it might be worth doing a factory reset, clearing everything off it and seeing if it’ll run ViewRanger on its own.

I’ve got an old Galaxy S4 that ran it ok but must admit it’s been some months since I last turned it on.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
Am I right in thinking you are no longer using this as a/your phone?

If that’s the case it might be worth doing a factory reset, clearing everything off it and seeing if it’ll run ViewRanger on its own.

I’ve got an old Galaxy S4 that ran it ok but must admit it’s been some months since I last turned it on.

I am using it with difficulty as I have to keep cancelling the on screen messages to use the phone. Before I do anything I thought I would get another phone which could do everything and then I could try out things on the Samsung S4 mini. If it works I have a backup but if it doesn't I already have a replacement as I need a working phone as my just in case anything happens whilst I am out. Car breakdown, delays etc. So I don't want to be without one.

geordie33

• Veteran Member
I use Viewranger on a Motorola G6 play
Reasonably priced large screen and better than average battery life
Never had any problems

jimbob

• Veteran Member
I use an Alcatel cheapie from a supermarket without a SIM for Viewranger. In my case I got the largest screen available so I could read it easier. 
Too little, too late, too bad......

GnP

• Veteran Member
I use a Doro 8020x tough phone. It`s a tad heavy but it has the geomagnetic sensor so is good as a compass & it works well with Viewranger and the OS maps which I have. Some places are charging silly prices, but I bought mine on E Bay new for £78..just have to keep watching. Amazon sometime sell them cheap as "used" but in fact are just returns or slightly damaged boxes.It has a 4.5 inch screen. I looked a long time for a phone with a smaller screen but it seems most phones nowadays are at least 4 or 4.5 inch.I have dropped it a couple of times and so far seems ok. ......
Nothing to do with what you ask ,but I keep dropping my etrex onto concrete outside my house before getting into my car & it is a survivor!
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Nothing to do with what you ask ,but I keep dropping my etrex onto concrete outside my house before getting into my car & it is a survivor!
I always slip the lanyard of the Etrex through a belt loop or onto my rucksack (if I am using it).  That way it doesn't get forgotten and if it is dropped it doesn't get to the floor.  My phone - Samsung J5 - has a tough case so it bounces too and doesn't get sat on.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
I always slip the lanyard of the Etrex through a belt loop or onto my rucksack (if I am using it).  That way it doesn't get forgotten and if it is dropped it doesn't get to the floor.

Snap  O0
Where there's a will ...

lostme1

• Veteran Member

You might like to check as mine started with the error message on 1 January. Prior to that it was OK.

GnP

• Veteran Member
I always slip the lanyard of the Etrex through a belt loop or onto my rucksack (if I am using it).  That way it doesn't get forgotten and if it is dropped it doesn't get to the floor.  My phone - Samsung J5 - has a tough case so it bounces too and doesn't get sat on.
I have a nice push on clip for my belt, but usually leave the etrex floating around on my dashboard ready to reset the trip to zero before exiting the car. If I leave it in the clip it digs into me when driving. My sense of organisation is becoming flakier by the day though.. :-\

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Phone suitable to use with Viewranger and other walk apps
« Reply #10 on: 23:29:04, 29/01/19 »
Attach it to your belt with the lanyard and then slip it into your pocket.  Use push clip when you arrive, that's what I do.  My Etrex start routine is to exit the car and switch the unit on.  Then I boot up, kit up, lock up, zero the trip and select the route.
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:41:08, 30/01/19 »
Attach it to your belt with the lanyard and then slip it into your pocket.  Use push clip when you arrive, that's what I do.  My Etrex start routine is to exit the car and switch the unit on.  Then I boot up, kit up, lock up, zero the trip and select the route.
I must sort out the lanyard..the thing I really love about the etrex is it being so light..At times I find myself walking with it in my hand & hardly noticing it. This comes from a guy that likes to travel light too.

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:53:17, 30/01/19 »
I've used it on iPhones from a 5C upwardsm as well as Samsung Galaxy S, S3 and Note 9, S9+, Google Pixel 3 - tbh there's never been an issue with any iPhone or Android phone using Viewranger as long as it has built-in GPS

Going on how many ppl use it I'd be surprised if any Android phone you buy these days is incompatible.

Roy
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:29:25, 30/01/19 »
I've only ever had Sony Xperia smartphones (I think I'm now on my 3rd), and Viewranger has worked perfectly on all of them.

PeterDevon

« Reply #14 on: 08:37:44, 31/01/19 »
+1 for Sony, best with a model that is waterproof, some are some aren't

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy