Author Topic: Dog owners?  (Read 5502 times)

Pitboot

Dog owners?
« on: 21:29:35, 30/04/19 »
Decided to take myself and Mrs P for a late afternoon stroll around Buttermere today, it was very nice as most of you will testify.
Sadly the walk was marred by the copious amounts of dog excrement, nicely packaged in black plastic bags and deposited at most of the gates and even by some of the viewpoint seats, some was hung off bushes like sad black blooms, and some was even stuffed into crevices in the dry stone walls.

Now I'm not blaming the lovely pooches, and not even all of the dog owners, but there must be dozens of them who have no regard for the countryside they are walking through.

I have never seen anyone dropping their precious parcels for someone else to pick up, but if I do could I raise a plea for justifiable homicide? :knuppel2:

(Pictures available, but I am sure you all have better taste than to ask!)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Dog owners?
« Reply #1 on: 21:43:40, 30/04/19 »
We need some of these
An image of the dog poo fairy campaign
Solvitur Ambulando

Pitboot

« Reply #2 on: 22:05:30, 30/04/19 »
 O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:16:42, 30/04/19 »
Better to avoid creating yet more plastic waste and just 'stick it and flick it' if it is on a path in the country.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:17:59, 30/04/19 »
We are baffled by the people leaving the poo bags too. Why do they bother picking it up, only to leave it hanging somewhere?

Just as bad are the people who don't pick up after their dogs. I didn't know this until recently since Squeaky came to visit, that dogs will eat other dogs poo if they get a chance  :o We think that is how Squeaky got ill a few weeks ago. Farm animals can also become ill if they eat dog poo.

It is a simple message, pick up after your dog and put it in a bin. Very easy to do, even beefy can do it  :D

Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:24:00, 30/04/19 »

If your dog should make a mess
there really is no need to stress.
Find a stick, pick a spot,
flick into the bushes so it can rot.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:36:51, 30/04/19 »
Hate will never win

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:07:40, 30/04/19 »
You can get biodegradable dog poo bags if you don't want to contribute to plastic waste. Then again I'd imagine where Richard walks few roam and he's probably wormed his dog anyway.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 06:07:35, 01/05/19 »
No excuse for it, there are bad dog owners just like there are bad people, lots of areas have a stick and flick policy but it’s just as easy to bag and remove. I’ve never noticed my dog leave rubbish behind on a mountain though, one of my pet hates, no pun intended.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:18:58, 01/05/19 »
It is a simple message, pick up after your dog and put it in a bin. Very easy to do, even beefy can do it  :D
Oi... >:(
How many times have we got on the bus with me smelling of the bags in my rucksack pocket :o
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:32:28, 01/05/19 »
You can get biodegradable dog poo bags if you don't want to contribute to plastic waste. Then again I'd imagine where Richard walks few roam and he's probably wormed his dog anyway.

Correct, Rob. I do use poo bags in busy areas of course.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:34:32, 01/05/19 »
I’ve never noticed my dog leave rubbish behind on a mountain though, one of my pet hates, no pun intended.

Tess usually empties herself within a couple of hundred yards of the car, so I often just bag it and turn back, tucking the bag under the rear windscreen wiper, before continuing with the walk.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:45:15, 01/05/19 »
Walking on the Berkshire side of the Thames one day in March, I had never seen so many little black bags. The quantity of of similar bags and the consistent way they were strung from branches or left on the ground to one side made me wonder if it was done by just one maladjusted individual.

Then on a walk this month, I saw the notice below that an irate resident had put up in the Hertfordshire hamlet of Hastoe:

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:53:00, 01/05/19 »
I cannot understand the mentality of someone who would go to the trouble of bagging their dog's excrement only to abandon the bag! Goodness knows, there's enough plastic waste around as it is.

Ralph

« Reply #14 on: 09:20:20, 01/05/19 »
We are going to have a generation growing up with the idea that [censored]*  grows on trees.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy