Author Topic: Which of the yorkshire three peaks to do first  (Read 25612 times)

leeboy25

Which of the yorkshire three peaks to do first
« on: 22:42:22, 19/02/12 »
Hello All,

Just wondering which of the yorkshire three peaks to do first. I am a newcomer to walking so I am wondering what order to do them in based on difficulty.

Also are there any routes which are best to take.

Thanks

Lee    O0

Dalesman

Re: Which of the yorkshire three peaks to do first
« Reply #1 on: 22:59:37, 19/02/12 »
Did you mean do them all in one go or one at a time?
Whernside- although the highest is probably the easiest, no scrambling, but can be a slog, although the descent is quite steep.
Pen-y-Ghent- The smallest/lowest of the three but a great walk, steep to start with and a bit of scrambling to get across the saddle and upto the summit.
Ingelborough- My fave! A great looking hill, although the zig zags up the final stretch are quite steep but fun, wouldnt recommend coming down this way. (well i wouldnt want to anyway)

Neither of the three are a massive challenge to anybody of reasonable fitness, but combining the three together is hard work and a slog. But that said the feeling of achievement afterwards is well worth the effort!
Completed the 214 on 23/04/15

leeboy25

« Reply #2 on: 23:08:44, 19/02/12 »
Hi Dalesman,

I am planning on doing each one independently, then when my fitness improves then I will try the 3 peaks challenge.  :o

I am planning to complete the easiest (if there is one) first as the wife and kids will be in toe.

Regards

Lee

Dalesman

« Reply #3 on: 23:17:37, 19/02/12 »
I would say Pen-y-Ghent using the path from Horton there and back would be a good start, just a steady plod up a good path.

leeboy25

« Reply #4 on: 23:21:52, 19/02/12 »
Thanks

Regards

Lee

robb

« Reply #5 on: 14:01:48, 20/02/12 »
Pen-y-Ghent was my first Yorkshire summit I 'bagged' only in January of this year, the weather was clear & crisp but freezing underfoot with ice patches on the scrambling part to the summit. I ascended via anti-clockwise and so got the hard part out of the way become the path ascends back down to Horton-in-Ribblesdale at a more leisurely pace.

My only gripe about doing Pen-y-Ghent was the number of other walkers up there, even in Janurary. Making the scrambling part in particular verging close to being dangerous as at any one time a loose rock could have given way, and you are always stuck behind someone doing their pace instead of your own. It's a summit i've bagged once but due to it's popularity I won't be rushing back to doing again. Yorkshire is a big place anyway and there's no doubt some quieter areas to find in the future.

leznorm

« Reply #6 on: 14:19:11, 20/02/12 »
I've only done Pen-y-Ghent so far and I loved the steep scramble up. The long wander down made it a really enjoyable day and I'd definitely recommend this one.
As this is the one I know I'm going to take my son up as soon as the weather's better, then I'll think about doing one of the others or perhaps all three.

northeastdaz

« Reply #7 on: 20:38:33, 20/02/12 »
Did you mean do them all in one go or one at a time?
Whernside- although the highest is probably the easiest, no scrambling, but can be a slog, although the descent is quite steep.
Pen-y-Ghent- The smallest/lowest of the three but a great walk, steep to start with and a bit of scrambling to get across the saddle and upto the summit.
Ingelborough- My fave! A great looking hill, although the zig zags up the final stretch are quite steep but fun, wouldnt recommend coming down this way. (well i wouldnt want to anyway)

Neither of the three are a massive challenge to anybody of reasonable fitness, but combining the three together is hard work and a slog. But that said the feeling of achievement afterwards is well worth the effort!

im with you there mate

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:48:29, 20/02/12 »
And me too  O0 O0

docpaul

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:46:02, 20/02/12 »
My vote goes to Pen y Ghent too. Great steep mini-mountain with a brilliant pothole entrance to look at en route. (Bit safer than Gaping Ghyll on Ingleborough if the kids are with you!!)

And the name - it's just so ... romantic and evocative. "Hill of the Winds" or something like. Just makes you want to be up there.

Whernside by comparison sounds like somebody's Geography teacher ("Psssst! Old Whernside's on the prowl," hissed Bunter...)
and Ingleborough a bit like a rather twee Home Counties town (Ingleborough's new Bus Station was opened today by the Mayor of neighbouring Tunbridge Wells....)

Hmm - wash my mouth out!  :o   No offence to those two fine hills - but Pen y Ghent .... dreams of dragons and sorcery at least!  O0
Courage doesn’t always come in a loud roar.
Sometimes courage comes as a small voice at the end of the day saying,
“I’ll try again tomorrow.”

Dalesman

« Reply #10 on: 23:13:30, 20/02/12 »
Pen-y-Ghent is a fantastic hill agreed!! Going for a week to the Dales in March and staying in Horton. Love the place!! O0

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:21:54, 21/02/12 »
Penyghent was my first hill at Easter 1964 with an expedition from Ermysteds Grammar School in Skipton. My rucksack fell off the top rock band and bounced a long way down, spilling out all it's contents....

Anyway - the shortest and easiest climbs for these three are: Penyghent - From Silverdale on the Stainforth-Arncliffe road - about a mile and a half with some light scrambling; Ingleborough - From Storrs cave via Crina Bottom - engineered path just a bit less than 3 miles; Whernside - From White Shaw Moss on the Thornton-in-Lonsdale - Dentdale road - a few yards over one mile - a straightforward uphill slog.

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:48:17, 21/02/12 »
Can I suggest a sneaky version?  When you have done PyG as a separate walk, tackle the other two by getting the train to Dent station and walking back over Whernside and Ingleborough. This will give you an idea of the total effort involved.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:23:13, 21/02/12 »
I have done the Three Peaks (i.e. in one go) both ways round and in my view, it is much better to do Pen-y-ghent-Whernside-Ingleborough. The steep part of Pen-y-ghent is not something you want to be coming down when you are tired and the knees have already had enough. It is also much easier to climb the steep zigzag of Ingleborough at the end than descend them.

If you are doing Pen-y-ghent on its own, my suggestion would be to go the steep way up (as in the Three Peaks walk) but then carry on over Plover Hill and back to Horton via Hull Pot. I have this route on my website if it helps.

mountain goat

« Reply #14 on: 17:17:43, 26/02/12 »
only one place to start of with it has to be pen-y- ghent love it  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy